Premed 101 Forums

UBC MOT Interview

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I am also new to this thread. I received my interview offer at 11:30am today.

My GPA is 84% and I am a BC Resident. I am 27 years old, so I have a vast amount of volunteer and work experience dating back 10 years and experience working with all ages groups and types of people (infants, preschool age, school age, teenagers, adults, older adults). Have worked in a recreation center for 5 years and a seniors home for 6. Vast knowledge of Alzheimer's and dementia, ASD, learning and intellectual disabilities, behavioral support etc.  I have shadowed 5 occupational therapists in 5 different areas, volunteered with 5 different organizations. I would say my work and volunteer experiences are my strongest attributes but we shall see!

Was happy with my statement of intent and my references. Good luck to everyone in the interview and those of you who did not get one don't give up!

On 3/2/2018 at 1:33 PM, pnw_ot said:

Congrats to everyone who received their interview invites and better luck to everyone for next year!

Has anyone been through the interview process? Do you have any advice? What are our chances once we get to the interview stage?

I think for UBC about 160 people receive interview invites, and the maximum students they take each year is about 48 domestic and 8 international. 

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t heard anything yet ... I’m so sorry to those who received the news today! Please don’t lose hope! We are all rooting for each other here and will continue to do so :) 

What time did you receive your emails? I am surprised they sent out information so early. And for anyone who has been placed on the wait list, do you mind me asking your position?

I’ve also received my acceptance! To those who didn’t get in, keep trying! I’m a second time applicant and took the last year to strengthen myself as an MOT applicant! So don’t give up! To those who are still waiting or waitlisted, good luck! 

10 minutes ago, OTkylie said:

I’ve also received my acceptance! To those who didn’t get in, keep trying! I’m a second time applicant and took the last year to strengthen myself as an MOT applicant! So don’t give up! To those who are still waiting or waitlisted, good luck! 

Did you get an interview the first time applying as well? For those of us who didn't get accepted this first time around after the interview, wondering if we should focus on gaining OT related experience?

1 hour ago, OTkylie said:

Congrats!! I would also love to know what you did in the past year to strengthen your overall application. If you received interviews both years, what did you think you did better this time around? Thanks in advance!

@pnw_ot @NOOBorNOOB I received an interview my first time as well. I did as much shadowing as I could get my hands on last year and this year which was all OT related. It really helped me get a well-rounded knowledge of OT as a profession which helped me a lot in my interview. In my interview this year I was able to tie in really unique OT related experiences which I felt made the biggest difference. One of my references was also from an Occupational therapist this year compared to last. Hope this helps! 

9 minutes ago, OTkylie said:

@pnw_ot @NOOBorNOOB I received an interview my first time as well. I did as much shadowing as I could get my hands on last year and this year which was all OT related. It really helped me get a well-rounded knowledge of OT as a profession which helped me a lot in my interview. In my interview this year I was able to tie in really unique OT related experiences which I felt made the biggest difference. One of my references was also from an Occupational therapist this year compared to last. Hope this helps! 

Thanks for the info, I will try that! And a big congratulations to you on getting in! :)

1 hour ago, OTkylie said:

Out of curiosity did you just take easy courses to get that 84%+? I took some difficult courses that brought me under the 84 cutoff and I think that was my only fault in my application :(

On 2018-03-27 at 0:55 PM, LivieK said:

Congrats to those who have been accepted. I'm #2 on the waitlist. It looks like UofT doesn't announce acceptance until mid May, so my guess is that the UBC waitlist will probably stay pretty stuck until that point. 

Hello Livie, I’m currently #1 on the waitlist so I will definitely let you know if I recieve an offer. I have heard good things about our chances as they usually accept a couple of people of the waitlist from what I heard from a recent OT student form the program.

5 hours ago, DenisOTHopefull said:

Hello Livie, I’m currently #1 on the waitlist so I will definitely let you know if I recieve an offer. I have heard good things about our chances as they usually accept a couple of people of the waitlist from what I heard from a recent OT student form the program.

Hey DenisOTHopefull,

I'm also on the waitlist currently, albeit a bit below you guys, could you also possibly let me know as well if you get an offer?

Thanks

Archived