Premed 101 Forums

Uwo Vs U Of T!

Would you say that going to U of T you would definitely have more job opportunities in Toronto/around the world? Also, how hard is it to get a job working in hospitals if you go to Western over U of T?

At Western is there any experience during the years of working in hospitals?

Would you say that going to U of T you would definitely have more job opportunities in Toronto/around the world? Also, how hard is it to get a job working in hospitals if you go to Western over U of T?

At Western is there any experience during the years of working in hospitals?

There is not really an advantage to finding job opportunities. If you specify Toronto specifically, then you might have a slight advantage because usually dentists prefer hiring associates who graduated at the same school as them. Otherwise, I have heard of more dentists preferring to hire UWO graduates due to having a stronger clinical background (however this reputation is from 10 years ago). On another note, good luck trying to find a good job in Toronto... It's getting exponentially worse every year. 

If you're worried about the school affecting job opportunities, then know that people rarely give a shit. They want to know that you have a diploma/license so you can work legally, and whether or not they can stand being in an office with you 7 hours a day. That's the most important factor bar none. 5 years out, the differences between the schools become completely irrelevant. 

There is NO advantage to obtaining work at hospitals after you graduate from either school. The chances are exactly 0% at both. You need to do a GPR at the minimum before you will ever get a chance to work in a hospital. It doesn't matter what school you come from, you need to get the GPR.

• 1 year later...

On the website, isn't there an option where you can transfer between schools in 2nd year? Do any upper year dental students know what the drop out rate is in first year?

A ) You need someone at the opposite school to drop out (essentially waisting ~60k)

B ) You need to be the top applicant for that position

It isn't realistic

Can a U of T student comment on the class average in Toronto dentistry? Also, how much clinical exposure is there in the first 2 years compared to western?

First year at U of T here.

-Class averages: Mostly in the mid 80s, a few harder tests were in the 70s and a few easier ones were low 90s. The environment is non-competitive in the sense that everyone is very willing to help each other and lots of people voluntarily share notes and recordings. However, it is competitive in the sense that despite grades "not mattering as much", most of the class still studies really hard, hence the high averages.

-Clinical exposure: In first year you start assisting in October (every other week until early April). You assist upper years and the experience is highly variable, though everyone gets one afternoon at oral surgery, one in emergency, and the rest in the general clinic.

In first year, we do non-invasive procedures on each other like probing, exploring, fluoride treatments, polishing, etc. I know in second year they start having their own hygiene patients and practice anesthesia on each other.

First year at U of T here.

-Class averages: Mostly in the mid 80s, a few harder tests were in the 70s and a few easier ones were low 90s. The environment is non-competitive in the sense that everyone is very willing to help each other and lots of people voluntarily share notes and recordings. However, it is competitive in the sense that despite grades "not mattering as much", most of the class still studies really hard, hence the high averages.

-Clinical exposure: In first year you start assisting in October (every other week until early April). You assist upper years and the experience is highly variable, though everyone gets one afternoon at oral surgery, one in emergency, and the rest in the general clinic.

In first year, we do non-invasive procedures on each other like probing, exploring, fluoride treatments, polishing, etc. I know in second year they start having their own hygiene patients and practice anesthesia on each other.

Second year at U of T here

As mentioned above, the 2nd year class averages are still very high, but the class still helps each other with notes and recordings as well.

In terms of clinical exposure, you start seeing patients for a periodontal recall exam starting in November, which is followed by cleaning and scaling (either with hand instruments or cavitron) followed by a prophy with a slow handpiece and prophy paste. We also continue assisting 3rd and 4th years. We also learn how to take radiographs on dummies, and we practice injections on each other. Near the end, you will see a patient for oral diagnosis, where you essentially go through a medical history and find out what sort of dental problems they have. 

I'm accepted for both UWO and Dentistry, talking to graduates from both school so far I am leaning towards UWO. However it is a tough decision. Their new SIM lab is with the latest technology, their classes sizes are smaller and there is more opportunity to interact with the profs .But the main reason that I am leaning toward uwo is that their is a chance for scholarship during the program, also everything is less competitive for the opportunities after graduation. probably getting better grades is easier. For the same reasons I didnt do my undegrad at U of T and I think that was the best decision.

I am still thinking and it is very stressful

I did some research on the topic of UWO or U of T , so far I am leaning toward UWO for the reasons of small classes, more clinical exposure ,etc. In addition I am going to admit something here. I Love my family , they are the best. However I dont want to live with them through 4 years of Dentistry school. Looking at the cost of renting a unit in Toronto,seems  this can not be an option. Renting a nice unit in London is affordable. I have heard a lot of nice thing about London as well. It is only two hours away from Toronto and I can visit my family and friends anytime I miss them.Overall I feel that another 4 years school will be more enjoyable in UWO and it is a very good school with an excellent reputation.

Are my reasons too shallow?!!

I did some research on the topic of UWO or U of T , so far I am leaning toward UWO for the reasons of small classes, more clinical exposure ,etc. In addition I am going to admit something here. I Love my family , they are the best. However I dont want to live with them through 4 years of Dentistry school. Looking at the cost of renting a unit in Toronto,seems this can not be an option. Renting a nice unit in London is affordable. I have heard a lot of nice thing about London as well. It is only two hours away from Toronto and I can visit my family and friends anytime I miss them.Overall I feel that another 4 years school will be more enjoyable in UWO and it is a very good school with an excellent reputation.

Lmao not at all. I would feel the same if I had to make the choice, living at home does not sound fun at all. All my friends who are in med/dent school in Toronto, and have family here, ended up renting units, so you're not alone on this

I did some research on the topic of UWO or U of T , so far I am leaning toward UWO for the reasons of small classes, more clinical exposure ,etc. In addition I am going to admit something here. I Love my family , they are the best. However I dont want to live with them through 4 years of Dentistry school. Looking at the cost of renting a unit in Toronto,seems  this can not be an option. Renting a nice unit in London is affordable. I have heard a lot of nice thing about London as well. It is only two hours away from Toronto and I can visit my family and friends anytime I miss them.Overall I feel that another 4 years school will be more enjoyable in UWO and it is a very good school with an excellent reputation.

lol not at all; my friend still rents in toronto, didnt have too much trouble finding the place. the uoft class surprisingly is very close-knit.. quite jellyy... 

Also the opportunity to network is <3 

Archived