Premed 101 Forums

Aamc Question Bundle (2015 Mcat)

Eric_Foreman

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if you guys purchased the question bundle from AAMC. I have heard that it may contain questions from old MCATs [which may even make it unsuitable for the new MCAT]. How helpful [if you got the bundle] do/did you find the bundle in your MCAT prep? What other materials do/did you use to prepare for the 2015 MCAT [and wether or not you purchased any practice full length exams]?

<<< Thanks a lot for any contribution. I hope this thread will be helpful for people starting this new wave of MCAT exams, not knowing what resources to use to prepare themselves. >>>

BTW, I personally use TPR psychology&sociology as well as the TPR critical analysis books. I plan to use the bundle if suggested, and hope to get more than one full length practice exam. Besides that, I'm short on finance to invest into anything else [and quite frankly, I don't think that much more will be needed]. 

From the SDN forums, they said the AAMC full length was the best representation of the newer MCAT, and that 3rd party material didn't really prep them for soc/pysch. Do what you will with that info. The 3rd party stuff is good for practice and getting down all the material that COULD be tested, we will see how the 3rd party stuff is for the next few MCATs, e.g May, June, and July, if you're writing in August. 

From the SDN forums, they said the AAMC full length was the best representation of the newer MCAT, and that 3rd party material didn't really prep them for soc/pysch. 

that's what I found too.  the prep companies don't do a very good job covering the new material on the MCAT (biochem, psych and soc).  The biochem I could figure out by doing the practice test (AAMC ones), but still kinda tanked on the psyc and soc during the MCAT.

that's what I found too.  the prep companies don't do a very good job covering the new material on the MCAT (biochem, psych and soc).  The biochem I could figure out by doing the practice test (AAMC ones), but still kinda tanked on the psyc and soc during the MCAT.

they don't yet really know what those sections have on them (any more than anyone else does). None of their instructors would have taken that test (always one of their selling points).

I purchased the AAMC full practice test and the practice question pack that comes with the official guide.  They were good.  I didn't purchase any of the subject question packs because of the exact same concern

So what exactly is the difference b/w buying the practice question bundle vs. buying the question bundle that comes with the official guide?

Are they the same questions?

Also, is the official guide useful?

errrm... terminology is confusing here, so I'm taking this from the official AAMC website: www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/prepare/

the question bundle that comes with the official guide

is the:

MCAT2015 Online Official Guide Questions
The same 120 questions from "The Official Guide to the MCAT®Exam (MCAT2015), Fourth Edition." 

which contain ~30 question from each of the four sections, set up in the official exam format.

the practice question bundle 

is the:

Official MCAT Question Pack Bundle
Official MCAT Question Packs cover targeted subject areas, including Biology, Physics, Chemistry, as well as Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills.

which are multiple question packs where each pack covers only one of the four sections that the MCAT tests on. 

• 5 weeks later...

Guys and gals!

I am short on practice exams and questions ... I have EK 2015 and Khan Academy for materials and practice passages. I want to do tons more passages ... here is my question: If you are cash strapped, which one would you take? 

1. AAMC Question Pack (for all sections except pscyh / soc) etc. ... has 720 questions I believe. For $75 I believe.

2. EK 1001 questions ... tons of questions here too, a bit more expensive. 

recommendations? 

I have little passage practice ... so really want to get good practice in. 

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived