Premed 101 Forums

Chances At Getting In?

I know this gets asked a lot, but I would like advice on what my chances on getting in to NOSM would be based on what I have now. I need to decide if I should go back to school before trying to apply next year.

Trad/Non-Trad: 23 year old male (Non-Traditional - second career, currently a full-time teacher)

Degrees: 

B.A. - Geography 

B.Ed.

GPA: 3.57

Context: Born and raised in Northern Ontario, & studied in Northern Ontario. Never lived anywhere else. I am Francophone & have a lower generation métis identification (I'm sure if it will count for consideration though, as it is a lower generation).

Employment/ ECs / Volunteer:

-Full-time permanently employed elementary teacher (2 years now) in Northern Ontario, including rural areas.

-Education research intern for Nipissing University

-Former YMCA employee & volunteer

-Summer camp coordinator & supervisor

-Plenty of volunteer experience in various fields

-Annual food drive organizer

-Organized many charitable events

-Awards & recognition: a combination of awards for community service & two undergrad scholarships for academics and research

My biggest concerns are my GPA and my lack of direct medical experience. Before applying, should I go take some courses to up my GPA? I know I should expand my volunteer experience in the medical field also, that's something I'm working on.

Hi there, 

Super interesting stats/EC's, super cool. 

Take what I am saying with a grain of salt as I am not yet in medical school. 

At first glance, your GPA is fairly low, though your further education and attainment of a teaching job in the north is impressive. I am wondering what/whether your grades during your ED count towards your application? Maybe look into that. 

If I were you, assuming money is not an option, I would apply this application cycle based on your professional experience and EC's. It is also very good experience to get an application finished... who knows, you could get an interview. 

ALSO, definitely pursue and look into your aboriginal status, the admissions committee is different for aboriginal applicants. 

In the mean time, if you can manage it with your job, definitely look into taking some base level university science courses and perhaps shadowing a doctor in your community. Make sure to only do this if you've got time... if not, do not risk the hit to your GPA. You could also just self teach (get it, you're a teacher) yourself the science... which will be a huge help in first year med.

Assuming you do not get in this year, I would for sure enrol in some university courses to up your GPA. Not sure how realistic a masters degree is for you? But I believe that NOSM adds 0.02 to your GPA for having a masters degree.. so your 3.57 would become 3.77 which is far better. 

Sorry for all of the word vomit... hope its somewhat helpful in some way. 

Best of luck to you in your medical school journey! 

Thanks MDHopeful97, you're awesome! I have enrolled in courses to take this winter & some for next summer. Anticipating everything goes well, my GPA should be up to around 3.62. It is an improvement, but it still is low... Maybe a masters will be necessary!

Thanks for your reply. 

Apply.

I agree with both replies. Try to take more undergrad courses to increase your GPA, if you can - especially with NOSM's new GPA policy (see other threads or NOSM's website for the new policy). However, a graduate degree would also be a huge boost, if you can afford the time and cost of doing a master's (maybe some kind of M.Ed.?).

That being said - the rest of your potential app seems pretty darn good. And yes, I would confirm your inigenous status too.

Best of luck,

MDW02

• 2 weeks later...

Archived