Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline forum 2019

Congratulations to everyone who got admission offers! I unfortunately did not make it into any of the four PT schools in Ontario. I am placed on the waitlist for three of them, however Queen's seems to be my only shot since I'm pretty high up on the waitlist. I'm heartbroken as I've put everything I have into this dream of mine and I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I'm not giving up hope though, I still have a chance at Queen's. If anyone has multiple offers to different schools and isn't sure what to choose or doesn't have a preference, help a girl out :( I'm hoping people have offers to multiple schools and don't accept their offer to Queen's to free up some spots for those waitlisted. It would mean the world to me to be able to follow my dream and go to PT school in the fall

18 minutes ago, FuturePT1 said:

Congratulations to everyone who got admission offers! I unfortunately did not make it into any of the four PT schools in Ontario. I am placed on the waitlist for three of them, however Queen's seems to be my only shot since I'm pretty high up on the waitlist. I'm heartbroken as I've put everything I have into this dream of mine and I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I'm not giving up hope though, I still have a chance at Queen's. If anyone has multiple offers to different schools and isn't sure what to choose or doesn't have a preference, help a girl out :( I'm hoping people have offers to multiple schools and don't accept their offer to Queen's to free up some spots for those waitlisted. It would mean the world to me to be able to follow my dream and go to PT school in the fall

Hey there is a waitlist movement thread where some people discussed queens PT wait list movement from previous years. I believe it went down 20 spots last year and 28 before that so if you’re higher than that on the waitlist you have a pretty good shot at getting in! It’ll probably be a little while yet though as the dust settles from all the schools coming out and I know it’s brutal having to wait but trust the process and don’t lose hope! 

Has anyone received a rejection email from McMaster OT after being waitlisted? 

I know that last day they would have sent interview invites for waitlists were in March but even then they haven’t sent anything after that, no update about rejections. 

I’m guessing the waitlist email was kind of a rejection?  

13 minutes ago, OThopefully said:

Hey there is a waitlist movement thread where some people discussed queens PT wait list movement from previous years. I believe it went down 20 spots last year and 28 before that so if you’re higher than that on the waitlist you have a pretty good shot at getting in! It’ll probably be a little while yet though as the dust settles from all the schools coming out and I know it’s brutal having to wait but trust the process and don’t lose hope! 

Oh really that gives me hope thank you so much!! Yeah I am higher than that! I really hope it works out, I don't see myself doing anything else with my life 

20 minutes ago, PhysiotherapyStudent2019 said:

Hey! Is anyone choosing Mac PT? I also got into Queen's but I am 99% sure that I will choose McMaster but I wanted to find people in the same boat as me. :)  

Im currently at Mac for PT so feel free to message me with any questions you may have, same with everyone else more than happy to answer any questions ! Congrats to all :) 

5 hours ago, FuturePT1 said:

I accepted U of T (my #1 choice), so I declined my offer to Queens...that’s one down for you! Hope you get in!

47 minutes ago, TheBirdo said:

McGill OT vs UofT OT - thoughts? 

I can't decide between the two!

Two world class universities. If it were me, I would look at the community and see which vibes with me more. Also isn't the QYOT an extra year?

14 hours ago, OTplease2019 said:

Hi there! I was accepted to Queen's and waitlisted for Dal, I am a Nova Scotia applicant. I would prefer to stay home if I could does anyone have any idea on the movement of Dal's waitlist or if the people who were accepted have a deadline to accept the offer similar to ORPAS? Thanks!

Hi!!

Dal OT deadline to pay the deposit is April 28th so I imagine the wait list will move a bit after that. 

I found this super helpful during my application, especially when I was stressing out so I wanted to share my experience to help future applicants who are stressing. 

Applied : PT- Dal (NB resident) , U of T, McMaster, Queen's & Western    OT- McMaster & Western
Accepted: PT- Dal, Queen's & McMaster  OT - McMaster
Waitlisted: U of T & Western (upper 3rd)
Rejected: Western OT
GPA: c-gpa - 3.75 and s-gpa - 3.81

Experience: I volunteered as a student athletic therapist for the men's basketball team at my university for my 3rd & 4th year ~1,000 hrs total. I coached pickleball for adults 55+, taught sledge hockey & swimming to children of all abilities in my 4th year and have coached basketball for 5 years. This past year I worked at a rehabilitation centre as a rehab assistant for individuals with complex injuries who are on long term disability and are therefore unable to work atm.

I accepted Queen's offer.

*I want to state that taking a year or two between graduating and applying/going to a master's program is not the end of the world. I remember struggling with the decision to take a year in between because so many of my peers were going straight to graduate school and I felt like I would miss out by not going right away. However in my fourth year I felt overwhelmed with the thought of applying to grad schools on top of everything else I was doing and decided to take a year off from school after graduation. I ignored the people who said that once you take a year off, its hard to get back into school and listened to my gut feeling that I needed a break. This was hands down the best decision I could have made because looking back, I was definitely burning out and wasn't realizing it. Living at home and working for the year was a great decision because my life has been pretty stress free this past year aside from applying to schools and the real life skills I have gained from working as a rehab assistant helped me in the interviews because I was able to draw from real life experience to answer my questions.

*Long story short: Working for a year after undergrad instead of going back to school is not the end of the world and may actually benefit you, financially, experience wise and help relieve some stress.

** For future Dal applicants reference: I received my interview e-mail on March 28th and acceptance came in the afternoon  of May 16th ( the day before the Ontario schools announced theirs).