Premed 101 Forums

Trying to prep for the CARS section.. tips?

wjl123

Hey guys,

I'm planning on writing my MCAT in about a year (currently 2nd year here). I've heard lots and lots about CARS being the hardest section on the exam, and that it's also the hardest section to improve on. 

Here's a bit about me:

I simply don't read a lot of books (and have not in the past). Given the nature of my undergrad (engineering), I was also not forced to read a lot of textbooks. 

Are there any advice that you guys could give me in order to get myself ready for the CARS section of the exam? Would doing lots of CARS example questions be enough, or should I work on polishing the fundamentals (and start reading humanities passages from now and on). 

Any tips are welcome :)

Id do a low-yield practice test and check your baseline then go from there. As an engineer I'm certain you favour efficacy. Why do more work if you have to? If you have a high baseline, chances are you dont need to overprep for the CARS section.

Some other resources to help practice and stimulate the CARS mentality are things like Khan Academy. There are lots out there. If you have extra $$ you can also look into NextStep, Kaplan, TPR, Prep 101 and buy some of their passages/tests.

Id try not to use AAMC material and too many practice exams though. But doing 1-2 low-yield ones may help establish your baseline and future planning.

Hope that helps - I did my MCAT years ago so I apologize if there are better prep companies out there these days

20 hours ago, RicardoKaká said:

Id do a low-yield practice test and check your baseline then go from there. As an engineer I'm certain you favour efficacy. Why do more work if you have to? If you have a high baseline, chances are you dont need to overprep for the CARS section.

Some other resources to help practice and stimulate the CARS mentality are things like Khan Academy. There are lots out there. If you have extra $$ you can also look into NextStep, Kaplan, TPR, Prep 101 and buy some of their passages/tests.

Id try not to use AAMC material and too many practice exams though. But doing 1-2 low-yield ones may help establish your baseline and future planning.

Hope that helps - I did my MCAT years ago so I apologize if there are better prep companies out there these days

Thanks a lot man! I'll try one first then go from there :) 

On 1/16/2019 at 8:01 PM, mcpremed97 said:

Use the free j westin daily passages and go back and do the old ones. I did 3 per day during my 2 months studying for the MCAT as my only real CARS resource and ended up with a 131 on the section!

That's amazing dude! By any chance did you have a solid reading/writing background? Or were you more on the average side of the spectrum? 

On 1/16/2019 at 9:01 PM, mcpremed97 said:

Use the free j westin daily passages and go back and do the old ones. I did 3 per day during my 2 months studying for the MCAT as my only real CARS resource and ended up with a 131 on the section!

So you didn't take the course? It seems so expensive. 

Archived