Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hiyayosup

Class Size?

Recommended Posts

I'd like to confirm that the Queen's class size is 100 domestic students (10 of whom are QuARMS) and 5 international students? Is this correct? I tried to search the forum and noticed a few differing responses. 

Thank you in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I read on their website that they also allocate a max. of 5 additional spots for members of the armed forces. So you're probably looking at a class size between 100-110 depending on how many of those extra seats are filled. Last year I think it was 104.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for pointing that out! TBH I'm not totally sure how QuARMS works so that is useful to know. I guess I'm trying to determine how many spots there are for applicants who take the traditional route...90 I'm assuming...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hiyayosup said:

Thanks for pointing that out! TBH I'm not totally sure how QuARMS works so that is useful to know. I guess I'm trying to determine how many spots there are for applicants who take the traditional route...90 I'm assuming...

QuARMS is getting axed. I think this was its last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Instagrammar said:

QuARMS is getting axed. I think this was its last year. 

Did they give any reason why?

IMO it was a terrible idea in the first place but it'd be interesting to see any stats Queen's has related to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1D7 said:

Did they give any reason why?

IMO it was a terrible idea in the first place but it'd be interesting to see any stats Queen's has related to it.

I don't know the specifics, I've heard from third and fourth year students that they do not want to continue with the program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HotAwkwardNerd said:

QuARMS is not being totally axed. They're changing the program to accept people after second year university. The details are still being finalized but it will exist to some degree it seems

This would be an interesting change. I wonder what would be the benefit of QuARMS in that case?

Most medical schools begin accepting students after 3rd year.

Edited by ArchEnemy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

This would be an interesting change. I wonder what would be the benefit of QuARMS in that case?

Most medical schools begin accepting students after 3rd year.

Probably just a testing grounds to see if there's a 'better way' to admit medical students. Plus ultimately that still saves a year for most students, which puts QuARMS on even footing with McMaster and Calgary. Arguably it is even better than the latter 2 schools, since a 4 year medical curriculum gives more time for research and electives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Instagrammar said:

I don't know the specifics, I've heard from third and fourth year students that they do not want to continue with the program. 

Really? I wonder what's causing that. A toxic program? A change of heart in regards to their career? The difficulty of university?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, obiwankenobi said:

Really? I wonder what's causing that. A toxic program? A change of heart in regards to their career? The difficulty of university?

Maybe they are finding that entering medicine without any prior exposure to university life is a negative and not producing the best doctors? Not sure though, could be something more trivial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hiyayosup said:

Maybe they are finding that entering medicine without any prior exposure to university life is a negative and not producing the best doctors? Not sure though, could be something more trivial

The first year of QuARMS students only entered the match this year, so no way to know anything about how good of doctors they'll be.

Back to the original question, it's 3 MD/PhD or MD/Masters and 10 QuARMS within the 100 total seats. This leaves 87 seats for people applying to the MD stream (not including people who deferred their acceptance from previous years, which cuts into that 87). There are also an additional 3 seats allocated to the military and up to 5 for international students (the international quota has never been filled I don't think. It was only 1 for the 2022 class).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hiyayosup said:

Maybe they are finding that entering medicine without any prior exposure to university life is a negative and not producing the best doctors? Not sure though, could be something more trivial

From my understanding, QuARMS students do attend university for the first two years. It's not like they are kept away in some dungeon writing papers :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

The first year of QuARMS students only entered the match this year, so no way to know anything about how good of doctors they'll be.

Back to the original question, it's 3 MD/PhD or MD/Masters and 10 QuARMS within the 100 total seats. This leaves 87 seats for people applying to the MD stream (not including people who deferred their acceptance from previous years, which cuts into that 87). There are also an additional 3 seats allocated to the military and up to 5 for international students (the international quota has never been filled I don't think. It was only 1 for the 2022 class).

Damn...even worse odds than I originally thought :(

7 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

From my understanding, QuARMS students do attend university for the first two years. It's not like they are kept away in some dungeon writing papers :lol:

Haha my apologies -- like I said I don't know much about QuARMS...I should probably stop speculating lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×