Premed 101 Forums

MMI prep companies

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has gone through some sort of MMI prep company, and what you thought about them?  I have access to lots of different MMI questions, and I've been practicing with those, but I get super nervous under actual interview conditions.  I want to get some practice in a place I'm not familiar with and with interviewers I don't know, similar to the actual MMI, and get some feedback on how I come across.

I know that BeMo offers some online test prep.  Has anyone tried that?  Did you find it useful?  Are there any other companies you would (or would not) recommend?

I am living in Alberta, if that makes a difference.

Sorry if this is a relatively common question!

Last year I was tutored by a member in this community for my interview. I consider myself to be a weak interviewer, but I was able to secure admission to my top choice school in my desired campus location (London). I think our tutoring sessions played a large role in allowing me to accomplish this. To be honest the sessions are a little on the pricier side compared to things you can find elsewhere, but I think it's well worth it considering the quality you get.

The community member was PHD2MD. 

I found a lot of the  test prep companies to be very expensive and not worth it b/c there are so many resources on here and med students you can ask for help. In fact, some interview stations aren't even conducted by med students, there are some members of the community. I found practicing with other people on here and family members/ friends not in med the most helpful

13 hours ago, Ludwig Wittgenstein said:

I worked with a user on here - ********-- and I found their advice to be brilliant and very helpful. He also helped over 60+ people get into medical schools across the country. His sessions were very reasonable compared to the big companies and he knows the content very well. I definitely recommend it. 

I can’t help but notice both you and the person you promote in your post were both last on the forum 13 hours ago. Seems like a funny coincidence.

Unfortunately, your post presents like blatant self promotion under a pseudonym.

Buyer beware for any premeds reading these threads, be careful who you give your money to. This extends to mcat and Casper prep, not just MMI.

40 minutes ago, QuestionsAbound said:

I can’t help but notice both you and the person you promote in your post were both last on the forum 13 hours ago. Seems like a funny coincidence.

Unfortunately, your post presents like blatant self promotion under a pseudonym.

Buyer beware for any premeds reading these threads, be careful who you give your money to. This extends to mcat and Casper prep, not just MMI.

you know that does happen from time to time and it leads to more work for the moderators ha (violates 3 separate rules of the forum actually)

There is always pressure on people who provide those services to access new clients - a forum like this always looks like a gold mine. Yet one of the very reasons this forum exists to provide the same sorts of information freely and reduce the barriers of entry to all those applying. Many of the people that provide information on here could easily start a company and do it for money - they chose not to. For that reason in particular we take a dim view on anyone trying to bend or break the general rules here. 

Anyway in this case you would appear to be correct so moderation is in order. 

and of course be very careful with using outside services. Some people do find them helpful but I would still say there is a lot you can and should do on your own with all the free resources first. That way at the very least you can use expensive services to refine things rather than learn the basics. Most university career and premed clubs can provide very similar help for free and even give you a lot more opportunities to practice you most people could reasonably buy. 

2 hours ago, rmorelan said:

you know that does happen from time to time and it leads to more work for the moderators ha (violates 3 separate rules of the forum actually)

2 hours ago, rmorelan said:

Anyway in this case you would appear to be correct so moderation is in order. 

and of course be very careful with using outside services. Some people do find them helpful but I would still say there is a lot you can and should do on your own with all the free resources first. That way at the very least you can use expensive services to refine things rather than learn the basics. Most university career and premed clubs can provide very similar help for free and even give you a lot more opportunities to practice you most people could reasonably buy. 

Agreed. While I appreciate getting shout-outs, remember there are a lot of great free sources. Here's one of mine, which forms of the basis what I teach everyone. If you master this you don't need to pay for training: 

Hi all,

I did not expect to start a thread requiring moderation, so I apologize.  My intention with the post was to get honest reviews of large companies that offer training for the MMI, since google and facebook reviews are difficult to find.  I am not interested in hiring an individual from this forum to coach me.

In the past, I took a prep course for the MCAT and was quite pleased.  The company I used has mixed reviews online, but has strong connections at my University and I found the course extremely helpful.  I am curious if there are any prep companies like that for the MMI.

I do have practice with my family and friends, which was how I prepared for my interviews last year.  I did pass the interviews last year but did not score high enough to get an offer.  I get super nervous under test conditions, and practicing with family and friends doesn't make me nervous, so I was hoping to get some practice that simulate test conditions.  That is why I was asking about a prep company.  My university does offer some MMI practice sessions that I intend to take advantage of, but I was hoping to do some more practice in addition to that.

It sounds like most people on the forum are really hesitant to go for a company so far.  I find the feedback super valuable, so thank you all for weighing in, even though we got a little off course!

On 10/14/2019 at 2:43 PM, PhD2MD said:

Agreed. While I appreciate getting shout-outs, remember there are a lot of great free sources. Here's one of mine, which forms of the basis what I teach everyone. If you master this you don't need to pay for training: 

Thank you for posting this here!  I actually already found it last year when I was trolling through the forums.  The huge piece of advice that sticks with me is entering the room cool and confident, which is what I think dragged me down last cycle. 

20 minutes ago, chkchkchickens said:

Thank you for posting this here!  I actually already found it last year when I was trolling through the forums.  The huge piece of advice that sticks with me is entering the room cool and confident, which is what I think dragged me down last cycle. 

And probably not being a troll during interviews :lol: