Premed 101 Forums

UBCDream

As an undergrad science student I met a PhD student while I was doing a lab project whose exact words were “grad school is where med school dreams go to die.”

i suspect he was one of the people he was talking about, and bitter and cynical because he did not get in. 

Grad students have their motivations to say what they want. Sometimes there is this divide, whereby grad students who really want to do grad school look down on those who mention they have applied or intend to apply to medicine...as if the latter group weren’t really committed to grad school or something.

as a result, most keep these dreams close to the chest to avoid unnecessary drama.

ultimately, do what you want. Let haters hate. 

I know a lot of undergrads that decided to do some sort of Masters when they couldnt get accepted to medschool. I was one of them. I did my Masters because I had an interest in medical research and would like that to be a part of my career in the future. Also I began my Masters knowing that I would apply again for medschool after I am done. It was difficult to apply during my Masters and it was looked down by most people around me. 

Long story short: Some grad students who have their heart set on medicine will continue to apply. Some of them got into gradschool cause they didnt know what else to do. Some had a genuine interest and thought it would be a good use of their time and potentially strengthen their future medschool application. 

3 hours ago, acacna said:

I know a lot of undergrads that decided to do some sort of Masters when they couldnt get accepted to medschool. I was one of them. I did my Masters because I had an interest in medical research and would like that to be a part of my career in the future. Also I began my Masters knowing that I would apply again for medschool after I am done. It was difficult to apply during my Masters and it was looked down by most people around me. 

Long story short: Some grad students who have their heart set on medicine will continue to apply. Some of them got into gradschool cause they didnt know what else to do. Some had a genuine interest and thought it would be a good use of their time and potentially strengthen their future medschool application. 

Same. 

Also, glad that I ruled out academia via this route. 

20 hours ago, UBCDream said:

My english is not perfect so I am not good at getting my idea past and I am not meaning to be critical of masters students. I have seen people doing masters in public health that want to get into medicine, and I genuinely wondering why and how you did that? My older cousin in community health at University of Calgary said it was looked down on in the program if someone wanted to do medicine (which kinda weird since somehow it is okay for docs to do a public health masters but not the other way around), and it seems like a pretty tough program to go through anyways. So I'm just wondering why would someone decide to do medicine after getting a masters in community health or public health instead of just making a career in that field.... would you be doing the same thing? Did being in that program make your medical application harder to do since it might have been taken in a bad way from the masters program?

To be fair I switched because as much as I loved the macroscopic view of health in a holistic sense... it's not really the same as seeing patients individually. 

That said, I'm now trying to do both public health and general practice so I can get the best of both worlds. 

I believe that in order to make large scale medical changes you have to also be connected to the leadership structure. In the same sense you can't make large scale changes that make sense without working on the ground. 

- G

• 2 months later...