Premed 101 Forums

Any Internationals receive interviews to American MD?

On 12/6/2019 at 11:22 AM, RejectedAgain said:

Exact same position - applied so long ago and haven't received anything smh. Was put on hold by mayo in September but that's it. With this long of a wait I'm assuming R's across the board for my USA app aha 

I have received 0 replies, stats aren't terrible either and almost above the schools' averages- it's so sad cause my stats are just average in Canada :(  R it is I suppose 

14 hours ago, Xbox Skully said:

What schools did you apply to and how many times did you write the mcat 

Applied to Cornell, Dartmouth, Columbia, Maryland, Yale (lol I know reach), mayo 

Stats are 3.88 GPA, 518 MCAT (130,128,129,131) 

I know these aren't many schools but seems kinda disheartening to not get closure from ANY

A lot of great stats in this thread but no mention of non-academics. Your stats will get your application reviewed, but will not get you an interview. They are a dime a dozen. You need to have an excellent personal statement and extensive non-acadmics. Maybe not so extensive that you'd be competitive for UofC or UBC, but competitive enough to stand out or warrant further look as an international.

14 hours ago, RejectedAgain said:

I applied 11 schools and have only received news from 1 (Mayo)

- SUNY, Stony, Dartmouth, SLU, Wayne State, Howard, WUSTL, Icahn, & the embarrassing wastes of money: Harvard, Yale

Stats: 3.93 & 521

I'm expecting R's from all 10 remaining schools at this point -- any insight as to how likely that is?

In the us some schools won’t interview you if you stats are too high like SUNY, Wayne, slu and Howard on your list. They have a different system. They don’t want to wast interviews on people that are gonna go else where.

11 hours ago, Xbox Skully said:

In the us some schools won’t interview you if you stats are too high like SUNY, Wayne, slu and Howard on your list. They have a different system. They don’t want to wast interviews on people that are gonna go else where.

Yeah its called yield protection right? Sucks b/c for me it wouldn't be a waste of an interview, my stats mean nothing in Canada aha 

13 hours ago, Xbox Skully said:

It helps to have personal contact with admin offices throughout the cycle, showing your interested. For example thanking them for the secondary early on. Explaining that as a Canadian international, you are excited for the opportunity to apply etc. Then when theres silence, politely asking for a status update, and indicating why they are one of your top picks...maybe saying you have been in the area, colleagues/family in the area if true etc., interested in specific research mentors they have.  

3 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

It helps to have personal contact with admin offices throughout the cycle, showing your interested. For example thanking them for the secondary early on. Explaining that as a Canadian international, you are excited for the opportunity to apply etc. Then when theres silence, politely asking for a status update, and indicating why they are one of your top picks...maybe saying you have been in the area, colleagues/family in the area if true etc., interested in specific research mentors they have.  

Thank you, those all sound like amazing ideas! I might start typing up some emails now aha, wish me luck 

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2019 at 12:00 PM, go girl 08 said:

I applied to 8 USMD schools. R from Dartmouth, Hold from NYMC and Penn State, Interviewed (12/2) and waitlisted (12/6) :unsure: at Wayne State, and complete silence from Sinai, Columbia, Emory, and SLU (my top choice :(). 

Stats are 515, 3.88, graduated from US undergrad. 

Hey I know this is a while ago, but have you heard from Columbia yet? I'm still waiting even though they said January was the end of invite timeline

9 minutes ago, AbsolutelyNot said:

Hey I know this is a while ago, but have you heard from Columbia yet? I'm still waiting even though they said January was the end of invite timeline

They reject at the end of the cycle i believe and may even silent reject... i also have not received any correspondence from them however it is an inevitable rejection now. 

7 minutes ago, Medase said:

applied to Wayne, NYMC, CMU, CSM, and GW way back in July. No response/reply from any........I don't think they know how desperate I am to go to any of them.....  3.94/513 graduated from UofT :blink:

You should call them and ask for a status update. I did that and several unis who had ghosted me emailed within a week with at least a rejection! and one of them with an invite!