Premed 101 Forums

to pursue a 2nd undergrad or a master's degree?

Hi Everyone,

Sort of a non-trad applicant here, hoping to get some guidance from all you awesome people! 

Stats:

MCAT = 511

GPA = 3.5

EC: tutor ESL, leadership position of a student group for several years (when i was a student), volunteered with marginalized youth, volunteer with global health related student group, position on the board of a women's leadership organization, lots of travel,  some research experience (no publications so I am not sure how relevant this experience is at this point), a few awards from my time as a student, lots of valuable personal experiences

Other relevant information: I am an allied health professional which is great since it gives me a lot of relevant work experience, however given the competitive nature of the program, my GPA definitely took a hit (I also didn't realize that I wanted to pursue medicine until a bit later)! I have applied twice at this point with no interview invites and I'm feeling like I'll have to improve my GPA to have a real shot. I am currently debating going back to school for a 2nd undergrad or a master's program! I feel like a 2nd undergrad would directly help out my GPA but I also feel like a master's program is a great opportunity for me to delve deeper into something I am already passionate about. Although this topic has already been addressed in this forum, I am hoping to get some solid advice pertaining to my specific situation!

Cheers :)

Definitely recommend second undergrad, but what is the gpa of your final two years? Could help for places like Queen’s if it’s high enough (3.8ish). Masters won’t do as much as getting that undergrad gpa up. Work experience is good, you been volunteering or doing any leadership stuff since you’ve been working? If you got your gpa and MCAT up a bit, you could be in the running for some invites. Some degrees do two year fast tracks and lead to alternative careers if you’re tired of your current one and want a change/medicine doesn’t work out (doesn’t for everyone). Also you will want to make sure you’re wanting to pursue this and put your life on hold. This includes moving, going back to school, moving again for residency, and then again for work potentially. This is coming from someone who also was working in what was going to be my alternate career.

Thanks so much for answering! I am definitely strongly considering the 2nd degree. My GPA history is a bit strange since I technically was in school for 7 years (3 years of traditional science undergrad, then went into a professional program) For reference, my undergrad years had a strong upward trend, but the grades during my professional degree are far less impressive (in the B+ range). I have a 3.3 and 3.9 for my final two years respectively. Yes, in general I enjoy being involved in my community but to your point, definitely trying to step it up at the moment. 2 rejections later, I've definitely come to the realization that this is going to be a long emotional ride, but I'm ready to put in the work.

If you are comfortable sharing, what did you pursue for your 2nd undergrad?

• 2 months later...

A bit late to the post, but I agree with IMislove. A grad degree won't help your GPA much. I recommend the second undergrad. Choose a degree that is known to have many bird classes. In my university, Biology is that degree in the faculty of science, but I've heard of people maintaining a 4.0 in economics, and who knows, maybe social work or business is the way to go. Ask around. Also, as mentioned above, you can do fast-track or just do a general 3 year degree, such as general sciences or arts (ie. not an honours degree). I know you seem to be eager about doing research, but if you don't make the gpa cut-offs then it won't matter. Also, it's a bit overrated as an EC (coming from someone who has done a ton of it). Only some of the schools care about it. What's your MCAT like? Maybe write it if you haven't, and go from there. Hope this helps :)