Premed 101 Forums

Have I given up too soon?

Have I given up too soon?

I’m a 21 year old student about to enter a 2 year nursing program after three years of undergrad. I have a 3.5 gpa and have long given up on medical school. The problem is, it was my lifelong dream and when I still wanted it my grades were excellent. After a depressive episode in my second year, I told myself my depression was because of my drive and gave up pretty much everything and did the bare minimum in school to achieve low As and High Bs. I recently discovered that I have a condition called premenstrual dysphoric disorder and am being treated for it. Untreated PMDD was most likely the cause of my breakdown 

I realize that medical school is absurdly competitive. I have decided to pursue nursing because I still love many aspects of it and patient care. But I all I ever wanted was to be a family physician and I feel so sad when I see other people on social media getting in, knowing it will never be me.

Sorry for the essay, but what I’m really trying to ask is whether or not I gave up too soon? Is my mental illness going to stop me? Do I still even have a chance? I know these are questions no one can really answer but I guess I just needed to put my thoughts out there.

This is a really difficult situation, but I think you might have answered your own question in this post. It's absolutely not too late, you still have 2 years left of undergraduate to bring up your average while getting amazing exposure in the accelerated nursing program. If you truly want it you definitely have the time to make it happen. It will be a challenge but if not applying is something you're going to regret, and know medicine is for you, then you should absolutely try.

4 hours ago, SquirtleMD said:

This is a really difficult situation, but I think you might have answered your own question in this post. It's absolutely not too late, you still have 2 years left of undergraduate to bring up your average while getting amazing exposure in the accelerated nursing program. If you truly want it you definitely have the time to make it happen. It will be a challenge but if not applying is something you're going to regret, and know medicine is for you, then you should absolutely try.

Thank you so much for taking the tome to reply. I will definitely focus on keeping my grades up for these next two years. If medicine is right for me, then hopefully I can gain the strength to pursue it as time goes on. Thank you again 

2 years of "bad" grades could be a hindrance for some schools like UofT, McMaster, UBC, etc. but not others like Ottawa (if you're able to do extremely well in years 3 and 4 and then willing to apply the cycle after you've graduated), Queen's (most recent 2 years only and as a cutoff), or Western (best 2 years above 3.70 as long as they're full course load and at 3rd year level or higher).

It is definitely not too late yet and you still have other areas to maximise your chances in like ECs, and the MCAT. 

Many schools also allow you to write an academic explanation essay to maybe get accommodation, for which PMDD is perfectly valid. 

Best wishes. And if it's something you've spend your whole life dreaming about, don't give up just yet. 

@Jessyyn It sounds like you are on a great path right now. If you are interested in Family Practice have you considered becoming a Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant?

I think your personal struggles with your own health will make you such a good support for your patients in whatever field you decide to pursue.  While you are pursuing nursing you could still think about applying to medicine. I have quite a few years on you and I am only just starting medical school. You have time!

If this is something you really want to do I would say keep trying. Take a look at some of the schools that drop your worst year. Just because you aren't applying right now does not mean you have given up. The application process can be really draining and hard on ones mental health.

Completing your nursing program and then applying to medicine is an option. I think if you are already a nurse then the application process might be a bit less stressful. You may even find that you love nursing and your interest in medicine fades away. In two years if you are still interested in medicine I'd apply for every school in Canada you can and see what happens. You just never know.

Good luck and don't give up on your dreams!