Premed 101 Forums

Research Volunteer Position Opportunity

goalnorth311

Lol so I have no idea where to post this right now, due to COVID, but thought it might be worth a shot to give a research opportunity to those that are interested. I'm a UofT IMS MSc student at one of the downtown hospitals and looking for a volunteer to help out the graduate students in our floor. Below are addition info regarding this position:
Role: Hospital research remote volunteer under the liver research department.
Tasks: Data entry tasks. Working with confidential data. Potential to branch out to other things, but not guaranteed.
Qualifications: Strong competency in MS Excel, scientific writing, and data analysis. SPSS experience is preferred but not required. Need to be detail oriented.
Minimum requirements: Interested in healthcare & medicine. Second year undergraduate or higher. Needs to be in university or within 1-2 year post grad. UofT undergrads/post grads preferred but everyone from all universities are welcome to apply.
Hours: 7-15 hours a week.
If you are interested please DM me your resume, unofficial transcripts, and cover letter via Google drive/Dropbox (if uploading files doesn't work). You can also DM me to provide my email address, but will take time to reply back.  Deadline is this Friday, September 18, but spot will fill if qualified person is found earlier. Zoom interviews will be given only to top candidates, based on academic merit, research, and overall experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone, as this was an interesting pool of applicants I noticed. So basically I stated this as a volunteer position, however fortunately it was turned into a paid part time position (as volunteering is not accepted at hospitals during these times), but this wasn't known till after the application deadline. In the 5 people that applied, all of them had 3.9+ GPAs and extensive CVs, knowing it was a volunteer research position. Thought it would be a more diverse group of people would apply but nope....

On 9/24/2020 at 8:29 AM, goalnorth311 said:

Just wanted to update everyone, as this was an interesting pool of applicants I noticed. So basically I stated this as a volunteer position, however fortunately it was turned into a paid part time position (as volunteering is not accepted at hospitals during these times), but this wasn't known till after the application deadline. In the 5 people that applied, all of them had 3.9+ GPAs and extensive CVs, knowing it was a volunteer research position. Thought it would be a more diverse group of people would apply but nope....

People are crazy on here. Posting the opportunity on premed101, you were pretty much guaranteed to get annoying keener premeds.

I don't understand the stigma about high-achieving individuals looking out for opportunities?

How do you know the applicants are not diverse, other than by their CVs? What if they're low SES? Refugees? Members of the LGBTQ community? People of colour? - It's not like none of the members of these marginalized groups can achieve good grades and extensive CVs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 9:29 AM, goalnorth311 said:

Out of curiosity, why did you expect a more diverse group of people?  The original post says "interviews will be given only to top candidates, based on academic merit, research, and overall experience."  Presumably people who didn't think they could compete in that kind of a pool, thought it would not be a good use of time to put together the transcripts, cover letter and CV required for the application, given the implied preference for high grades, competitive research background, and impressive CV.  In essence, the original post reads as "people who aren't strong in these areas are unlikely to be interviewed"; so why is it a surprise that those who did take the time to apply checked the boxes you laid out?