Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Graduated '05 BArtSc (McMaster)

OMSAS GPA: 3.5 (last two years 3.79)

MCAT: 10/10/10 Q

Spent the year working with professor conducting public health research; breakfast club volunteer; teaching assistant; clubs president; residence don; hospital volunteering; active member of local church; shadowed family physician.

Accepted: Western

Rejected pre-interview: UT, McMaster

2nd time applying.

I'm an Ontario resident, BA in Economics. My GPA was 3.7 in the second, and b/c my first degree was soooo very dismal, 2.85 over all. My best year was 3.9, second best was 3.8.

My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: P

I was accepted by UWO, waitlisted at Queens. This is my first time applying to med schools.

Now that I've finally settled on a school, I decided to post one of these!

I'm an Ontario resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.68 (3.97 for best two years) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by UWO, Ottawa, Queen's, Toronto, and Calgary. This is my second time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I was accepted at, I'd obviously like to attend UWO as my first choice (which is why I posted it here).

I'm a Ontario resident in UWO Microbiology & Immunology. My GPA was 4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 15

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 12

I was accepted by UWO and U of T on May 15. This is my second time applying to this school.

I selected UWO as my first choice. My interview here didn't feel great to me and felt similar to last year's interview, but perhaps I was more confident in this one.

Hi, I am a Toronto resident. I just graduated from Queen's in Life Sciences.

My GPA is 3.83 (4 years) and 3.93 (last 2). My MCAT scores were:

PS 10

VR 10

WS Q

BS 13

This is my first time applying, and I was waitlisted at Queen's, and U of T. I was accepted at UWO and will be attending.

See you all in September!!

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a SWOMEN Ontario resident, and just graduated from UWO with an Honours Medical Science degree.

Cumulative GPA: 3.91

MCAT: BS 12

PS 11

VR 9

Q

Tons of sports, volunteer experience, good reference letters

Waitlisted: UWO, Toronto, Ottawa, Mac (ugh)

I just got off the UWO waitlist on Tuesday and will gladly accept their offer. Good luck to those still on the waitlist. Don't give up hope.

Long, long, long time lurker here too.

Accepted off waitlist on June 8.

Non-SWOMEN resident

McMaster University

Hons. Science

Cumulative GPA ~3.97+

MCAT: BS: 14

VR: 11

PS: 12

WS: Q

Mediocre volunteering, no research, few ECs, good reference letters, but only one from a physician, other two were from non health care related people. Most of my time was spent working as a lifeguard/swimming instructor and studying like a maniac.

Rejected Pre-Interview: Toronto, Mac, Northern, Ottawa.

Waitlisted Post-Interview: UWO and Queens

Accepted: UWO

I thought I did pretty poorly on the Western interview.

To the people that are still in Undergrad, or thinking of meds:

DO NOT do what I did, devoting most, if not all, of your energy to academics. Good marks are certainly required, but they will not serve as a substitute for the other parts of your application. I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate to be going next year, in fact, I had already completed my US application for next year.

I would have saved myself a lot of pain if I had focused more on ECs and research. I know everyone is always going on and on about marks and a good MCAT, but take it from me, there is a lot more to it.

Western was my first choice (go hardcore clerkship program!).

Thank you to everyone on this board, I know I could not have done it without you (even though I never post).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am an Ontario resident (SWOMEN area), I was waitlisted at UWO last year and didn't get in. I applied again using my 4th year marks (as usual) and was waitlisted again but got in almost right away! I also got into Ottawa this year after being wait listed but I mean this is Western were talking about here:)...

MCAT: PS 10, VR 9, BS 12, WS O

GPA: 3.86 (best 2 years)

I did my undergrad at UWO (HBSc in cell bio). Best school ever! Western has held a special place in my heart ever since i was a little girl and visited campus on a field trip, Go Mustangs!

I'm an OOP (Alberta) applicant. My cumulative GPA was about 3.65, my last two years about 3.8, and my MCAT scores were:

Verbal Reasoning: 12

Writing Sample: Q

Biological Sciences: 12

I applied to a whole bunch of schools (all the English-language ones in Canada except Dalhousie and McGill).

I got interviews at UWO and U of C.

I am waitlisted at Western. I got into U of C, and I'll be going there this fall.

Congratulations to all of you who got accepted at Western! I had a great experience at my interview. My interviewees were really friendly, all the 2010s were great, and the campus itself was beautiful!

• 10 months later...

Wow...posting here....

Accepted (non-SWOMEN)

OMSAS GPA: 3.79

Best Year (I think they take best year?): 3.95

MCAT: 10/10/12 S

Accepted: UWO

Waitlisted: Queens

Rejected pre-interview: Mac, UT

Interview, I thought went alright, nothing phenomenal, but wayyy better than the Queens one.

I will be accepting this offer.

I'm an Ontario resident (considered SWOMEN) who completed my Bachelor of Health Administration in Health Services Management at Ryerson University in 2004. I also have a Diploma in Emergency Health Services Management from Dalhousie University (2004). I have been working as a paramedic with Toronto EMS since 1999.

My overall GPA was ~2.0. My GPA from my best year was 3.78. I wrote the MCAT three times in 2004-5, scoring between 26 and 28. In March 2007, I wrote the MCAT again scoring 32R.

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: ®

I was accepted by Western. This is my first time applying to this school since earning a competitive MCAT mark. I have been accepted by Queen's and waitlisted at Dalhousie (23 on the non-maritime list).

I will be attending Queen's in September.

Elaine

Accepted

Non-SWOMEN here, graduated last april with a biochem degree from uOttawa, second time applying, waitlisted last year.

Overall GPA - 3.59, Best year - 3.77.

MCAT - 14P/11V/13B/Q = 38Q (14/8/11=33Q the first time)

Interviewed at Western and Manitoba.

Accepted at Western, haven't heard yet from Manitoba.

Super glad I had the past year off to travel and work and stuff! And super glad I don't have to go through the application process one more time (3rd time wouldn't have been fun).

Congrats to those with acceptances, and good luck to those on the waitlist, hopefully you'll get good news soon! And even if good med school news doesn't come, take full advantage of the situation that you're in where you quite possibly have no huge responsibilities limiting you right now (ie. a family, mortgage, etc) and do something awesome like see the world and travel. I'm so glad I had the chance to do it.

Accepted and i'm a SWOMEN app just finsished chem/biochem bachelors at UWO, first time applying

GPA (when applied) was 3.92 over 3 years

best year: 4.0

MCAT: 34 S (14/09/11 S: Ps/Vr/Bs)

applied to UWO, UoT, Queens, mac, Ottaw

waitlisted at queens and Ottawa.

Will be accepting this offer! Can't wait to see you all

Waitlisted :(

cGPA: 3.92

MCAT: 32Q (10PS, 11BS, 11VR, Q)

ECs: varsity sports, some volunteering (hospital and abroad), one second author paper submitted

Interviewed at Calgary, McGill, Dalhousie and Western. Waitlisted at all of them but Western is my first choice so I'm hoping for a lot of movement this year!

I'm an Ontario resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.9 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Biological Sciences: 14

I was accepted by UWO. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UWO Med School as my first choice.

I'm a Quebec resident who recently finished my dietetics undergrad at McGill (after two years in engineering). My cGPA was 3.5 for all 5 years, and 3.78 for my dietetics undergrad. My MCAT scores were:

Written Sample: S

Applied: McGill, Queen's, Western, U of T, Mac, Ottawa

Rejected: U of T, Mac, Ottawa

Accepted: McGill, Queen's

Waitlisted: Western

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill as my first choice. This was my first time applying.

I'm a SWOMEN resident in undergraduate studies (4-year BMSc from UWO).

My cGPA was 3.90, and two best years: 3.99

MCAT scores were:

Verbal: 10

Written Sample: T

Decent EC's, but nothing that special that was med-related.

I was accepted by UWO

Waitlisted at Queen's

and rejected pre-interview by Mac and U of T

This is my first time applying to these schools.

Of all the schools I applied to, UWO was my first choice, so I'm thrilled and very lucky!

Non-SWOMEN resident

MCAT: 10 10 13 Q

GPA: cGPA 3.79; 3.93/3.94 top 2 years; uOttawa cGPA 3.93; UofT formula (if applied) 3.91-3.93

Applied to: Queen's, Western, Toronto, McGill, Ottawa

Interviewed at: Western, Ottawa

Accepted at: Western, Ottawa

Have accepted Western's offer.

This is my second time applying; took a year off after graduating and worked during this past application cycle. GOOD LUCK to everyone!!