Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

I really wanted Western because all the curricula changes at queens are apparently causing a hell of a lot of disorganization for our guinea pig year, and the current queens med school building (smartly not the building the interviews were in) is like a dungeon.

but I'm on Western's normal waitlist...so I guess I'll be choosing Queen's after all. damn this new system. wont be seeing you all at UWO after all! :(

High/Good Waitlist at Western and Ottawa

Rejected at Mac

Accepted at UofT! wahoo!

I was torn between Western and Toronto, so I'll wait a bit and see what Western says before confirming Toronto.

best 2 years = 3.92

MCAT: 10 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS, S

I had crazy ECs --- 3 years research + 1 publication, lots of clubs and awards and volunteering, no hospital volunteering

I'm SWOMEN and I was kind of surprised I got waitlisted because I thought my interview went well (and I thought I did not do well at the UofT interview...) So lesson to be learned: you can't judge results from your interview :)

Congrats to everyone else who made it this cycle!

If you don't have good news yet, don't lose hope, hang in there!

High Waitlist at Western

Bad Waitlist at Ottawa

Rejected at Mac

Accepted at UofT! wahoo!

(I managed to get one of each kind of decision lol)

I was torn between Western and Toronto, so I'll wait a bit and see what Western says before confirming Toronto.

best 2 years = 3.92

MCAT: 10 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS, S

I had crazy ECs --- 3 years research + 1 publication, lots of clubs and awards and volunteering, no hospital volunteering

I'm SWOMEN and I was kind of surprised I got waitlisted because I thought my interview went well (and I thought I did not do well at the UofT interview...) So lesson to be learned: you can't judge results from your interview :)

Congrats to everyone else who made it this cycle!

If you don't have good news yet, don't lose hope, hang in there!

Would you choose Western over UofT?

Would you choose Western over UofT?

Initially, Western was my top choice, but now I'm not sure...

I LOVED the vibe at Western and I know quite a few meds there, but I'm in love with Toronto and the big city life, and I have a lot of friends there who could help me adjust there...

I didn't think I'd get UofT (bad VR, super nervous at interview) so I never thought about it until now...

I think I'm leaning towards UofT, and I think at this point I would accept Western's offer only if they give me the scholarship...

I'll wait a week or so and see what happens...

Initially, Western was my top choice, but now I'm not sure...

I LOVED the vibe at Western and I know quite a few meds there, but I'm in love with Toronto and the big city life, and I have a lot of friends there who could help me adjust there...

I didn't think I'd get UofT (bad VR, super nervous at interview) so I never thought about it until now...

I think I'm leaning towards UofT, and I think at this point I would accept Western's offer only if they give me the scholarship...

I'll wait a week or so and see what happens...

I am SO in the same boat! (although, I was lucky enough to be accepted by Western) BUT, Western is my alma mater and I have so many ties there, it's almost... easier to go to Western but I definitely want a change of scenery! I wonder if there are any more scholarships to be given out... didn't someone on here say that they already got an email about getting the scholarship? Should I bother waiting?

I am SO in the same boat! (although, I was lucky enough to be accepted by Western) BUT, Western is my alma mater and I have so many ties there, it's almost... easier to go to Western but I definitely want a change of scenery! I wonder if there are any more scholarships to be given out... didn't someone on here say that they already got an email about getting the scholarship? Should I bother waiting?

I think they go out with your acceptance package... I would call to check if I were you...

That someone was probably me on the other board, lol. I got an e-mail at about 1 pm on Thursday with an offer of a Schulich scholarship. But I have no idea if all of the scholarship offers have been sent out yet!

I'm in the same boat as you too. Went to Western for UG, got accepted at Queen's as well as UWO for meds. Going to Queen's for a change of scenery was tempting (Kingston is beautiful!), but I am gonna go where the money takes me :P . All joking aside, I was really leaning towards UWO before I got the scholarship. I really like how their MD program is organized, and I'm not ready to end my love affair with Western just yet.

Anyways, I'mma post my stats too, since I haven't done that yet!

SWOMEN

cGPA: 3.82, best 2 years: 3.88

MCAT: 13B / 13V / 11P / S

ECs: volunteer and coordinator for a YMCA program all throughout UG, worked at Vic Children's Hospital for a year, school choir, about 2 years of research with 2 pubs

Interview: I thought it was just awesome. My panel was wonderful, and I connected really well with them, so just a really positive experience overall.

Going to Queen's for a change of scenery was tempting (Kingston is beautiful!), but I am gonna go where the money takes me :P .

Yes! YOU! haha. I think it's logical to go where the money is! To be completely honest, there's really no point of trying to choose between Toronto and Western because there is no wrong choice (or no perfect choice, if you're a glass-half-empty type of person). What's pulling me to Toronto is that it's somewhere new. What will pull me hugely back to Western is the reduced cost of attendance ;)

Yes! YOU! haha. I think it's logical to go where the money is! To be completely honest, there's really no point of trying to choose between Toronto and Western because there is no wrong choice (or no perfect choice, if you're a glass-half-empty type of person). What's pulling me to Toronto is that it's somewhere new. What will pull me hugely back to Western is the reduced cost of attendance ;)

We're really derailing the main point of this thread, but I don't think you should make your ultimate decision on cost (at least when we are talking an Ontario medical school vs. an Ontario medical school). You should go where you feel you are going to get the best experience (I know you said there is no point between picking between UWO and Toronto, but you do seem to really value the 'something new' aspect of Toronto!) -- just my two cents :)

In terms of the status of my application with UWO:

Accepted (London campus)

SWOMEN

GPA/MCAT: prefer not to disclose, but my GPA was strong and my MCAT right around the cutoffs

ECs: some research, pretty involved with a number of sports-related initiatives, helped out at Student Health Services for two years, involved with the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame and the Discovery Day events in London, have worked on campus for the last three years, few other things here and there ...

Interview: Honestly felt UWO was my best interview.

I was also accepted at Queen's and waitlisted at Toronto and Ottawa. I just firmly accepted my offer at UWO a few minutes ago, so a spot will be opening up at Queen's for someone!

PUMPED to meet everyone in August (or earlier ... I'm in London all summer)!

Hello!

Interviewed: Western, Ottawa, Queens, Mac

Accepted: Western (london), Ottawa

Waitlisted: Mac, Queens

GPA (best 2 years): 3.94, cGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 12 PS, 11 V, 15 B, T W

Interview: I really didn't think it went that well, to be honest I thought my queens one went better (go figure)

I am leaning towards western, but I guess I will take a little more time to decide and be sure :)

wow...you're a beast. 3.91 cGPA and 38T MCAT. lol why arent u going to the Ivey league?

I'm an Ontario resident with an B.Sc. in Biology. My GPA was 3.73 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: R

I was waitlisted by UWO. This is my first time applying to this school. I was accepted to some schools in Ireland and Australia but will probably hang around in Canada and try to bolster the ol' GPA and have another go at it.

Whoops, I never posted my stats on the forum.

MSc student

2 year GPA: 3.76

MCAT: 10 PS / 11 VR / 11 BS / R WS

Applied to: Western, Queen's, U of T

Interviewed at: Western, Queen's

Accepted at Queen's, High Waitlisted at Western

I thought my interview at Western was a little shaky, and that my Queen's interview was very good. Looks like I'm in the minority whose impression of their interviews is accurate. ;) I would recommend to future applicants to schedule your interviews for your more desired schools near the end - I think that my nerves got the best of me during my UWO interview, and I was very calm during my Queen's interview.

Western is my preferred school, so I will be waiting to see what happens with their waitlist during the next two weeks before responding to my Queen's offer.

Congratulations to everyone accepted this cycle, and good luck to those on the waitlist! To future applicants: keep your chin up. I found undergrad and the whole med school application process to be very exhausting at times, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

oops, forgot to post here too.

Ontario resident

3.98 GPA, 35Q MCAT

Applied: U of T, McGill, Western, Queens

Interview: U of T, McGill, Western

Waitlisted: McGill

Accepted U of T, Western

U of T was my top choice and I'll be attending in the fall. I've already rejected my Western offer, so hopefully that made someone's day!

Good luck to all those waitlisted!

Hi everyone. Awesome to be posting after reading tons of these last year!

First time applicant. Non-SWOMEN.

Waitlisted: Western

Accepted: UBC

2 year GPA: ~3.8

MCAT: 12/11/Q/13

Interview: I thought my Western interview was average. I felt like I had an ear infection or something that day and I was only hearing about 70% of what my interviewers were saying. So I think I was kind of blabbing and distracted about my lack of hearing. I was also recovering from twisting my ankle and was trying not to look like I'm limping in my stilettos. Flying in from the West and being jet lagged for a morning interview also did not help! Kind of funny thinking back to it now. I had a new found appreciation for MMI after that. Thanks again to med2013 for the weekend.

I accepted my offer to UBC and removed myself from the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone waiting for good news!

UBC Med 2014

Accepted to UBC (IP), Western (OOP)

1st time applying

Stats:

GPA: ~3.8

MCAT: 33P

Extracurriculars: Research assistant for ~1 year, international volunteering, school exec, various clubs, one publication, softball, hospital/school volunteering....

Interview: loved it. the three of them were incredibly nice, patient, and encouraging. i gave a few answers that i regretted for days, but all in all I had a really good feeling.

This was a very, very, very difficult decision to make...

but I will be accepting UBC's offer. (though I have to say, UWO's med students impressed me the most!)

Good luck to those who are on the waitlist! :)

Well, I was hoping that I'd be posting one of these saying accepted, but who knows maybe in a few weeks I can edit this post :D.

SWOMEN

GPA: (Best 2 yr, 3.77)

MCAT:11PS, 10VR, 11BS (32Q)

Applied: Western

Interviewed: Western

Waitlisted: Western (Regular Waitlist)

Ontario Resident, just completed my BMSc

GPA: 3.95 (3.98 best two years)

MCAT: 30S

Applied: UWO, Toronto, Queens, Mac, NOSM, Ottawa

Interviewed: UWO, Toronto, Queens, Mac, NOSM, Ottawa

Offers: UWO, Toronto, Ottawa

Waitlist: Mac, Queens, NOSM

Accept: UWO!!

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! For those of you who did not get the good news this year, keep trying - you WILL reach your goal eventually, whatever that may be :)

Ciao

I'm a Toronto resident and this is my first year applying.

Cumulative GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 40T

ECs: Volunteered since high school at a food bank, worked three summers at senior centre. Some tutoring of high school students who flunked courses. Nothing extraordinary.

Applied: UoT, McMaster, Western, Ottawa, Queens

Interview: McMaster, Western, Ottawa, Queens

Offered: McMaster, Western

Waitlisted: Ottawa (good, I think)

I just accepted my Western offer! :)

Even with my stats, I was surprised to get any offers at all. I think the reasons I received offers from Mac and Western were a) they were my last two interviews, so I was better prepared than Queens and Ottawa and B) Mac and Western seem to place more emphasis on GPA and MCAT scores in the post-interview selection process.

Guest viscous
I'm a Toronto resident and this is my first year applying.

Cumulative GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 40T

ECs: Volunteered since high school at a food bank, worked three summers at senior centre. Some tutoring of high school students who flunked courses. Nothing extraordinary.

Applied: UoT, McMaster, Western, Ottawa, Queens

Interview: McMaster, Western, Ottawa, Queens

Offered: McMaster, Western

Waitlisted: Ottawa (good, I think)

I just accepted my Western offer! :)

Even with my stats, I was surprised to get any offers at all. I think the reasons I received offers from Mac and Western were a) they were my last two interviews, so I was better prepared than Queens and Ottawa and B) Mac and Western seem to place more emphasis on GPA and MCAT scores in the post-interview selection process.

did you decline offer for Mac?

Figured I'll post it:

Undergrad, not SWOMEN

GPA: 3.9

Best 2 years GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 39R

EC: Lots of research (2 publications, 2 abstracts), hospital vol, shadowing, international volunteering, lots of traveling, music and a few more other things.

Applied: Mac, Western, uoft, mcgill, calgary, Queens and Ottawa

Interviewed: Mac, Western, uoft, calgary, Queens and Ottawa

Accepted: Mac, Western, calgary and Ottawa

Waitlisted: Queens and uoft

After lots of thinking, accepted my western offer, cya in the fall :)

Non-SWOMEN

GPA: (Best 2 yr, 3.79)

MCAT:11P, 11V, Q, 12B

Applied: Western, Toronto, McMaster and Queens

Interviewed: Western

Waitlisted: Western (normal waitlist)

Accepted: Western, at the Windsor campus (campus preference was London)

I'd like to thank God, my family, friends and also a lot of people on this forum for all the help over the years.