Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

That makes a lot of sense actually though. Why should med. schools care about you if you are on the wait list? Once you get in they will care about you because you are now part of their school. Before this you are just 1 out of a thousand no-name applicants.

Most of the ad coms I have met are not that "cold"

I have always thought is just more of an administration problem than anything. If they gave out the exact position, people would expect that to be updated somehow and that is another layer of communication they would have to follow. All a bit of speculation though :)

Most of the ad coms I have met are not that "cold"

I have always thought is just more of an administration problem than anything. If they gave out the exact position, people would expect that to be updated somehow and that is another layer of communication they would have to follow. All a bit of speculation though :)

Retstage makes a very good point. Individual people working on the adcoms may not be "cold" themselves, but the whole system is "cold" as they can't empathize with every applicant. You are just another file for them. The less time they spent with your file, the better for them or the the more efficient their administrative job is.

Retstage makes a very good point. Individual people working on the adcoms may not be "cold" themselves, but the whole system is "cold" as they can't empathize with every applicant. You are just another file for them. The less time they spent with your file, the better for them or the the more efficient their administrative job is.

Sure I would go alone with that :)

also probably causes less emotional pain. I guess a level of detachment would help the admins just like it protects some doctors, particularly in fields with high rates of failure.

i just don't think it has all that much to do with prestige, I think it is more it is just efficient. Could be wrong though....

I posted in the waitlistees thread but I figured I'd add it here too for anyone reading it and counting the spots this year or next.

Long time lurker, first time poster on these forums. I also received a call from Western about a spot at the Windsor campus. Second year applying, stats:

first time: interviewed UWO, waitlisted UWO, no acceptance

second time: interviewed UWO, Queen's, waitlisted at both, accepted to UWO

cGPA: 3.74

Best 2: 3.91

MCAT: 10 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS, Q essay (33Q combined)

I haven't firmly accepted the UWO offer but I will unless Queen's calls me in the next week, which is fairly doubtful at this point. Just like everybody else, I assumed I was screwed by this point (again) and was surprised by the call. So to quote the Crystal Method, "keep hope alive." I'll post again when it's all definite.

Man, it's still a little hard to believe I got that call, but what a day!

Non-SWOMEN

cGPA: 3.76

Best two: 3.92

MCAT: B-12, PS-10, VR-10, WS-S

Interviewed: Queen's, Western

Waitlisted: Both

Accepted (as if): Western @ Windsor

I'll be jumping at that Western offer ASAP!

Still so excited! I have funny stats - i.e. I think I was exempted from the GPA cut off:confused: - but here they are.

Out of province, first time applying to med school

Interviewed: Calgary, Western, Queens

Waitlist: Calgary, Queens

Accepted off waitlist: Western (Windsor), June 16 at 10:50

MCAT: 12(P)12(B)13(V)Q(W) - 37Q

cGPA: 3.72

Best two full time years: 3.7

(I asked them to consider one of my non-full time years because I withdrew from a class for medical reasons, in which case best two years would be 3.84 - presumably this is what they did?)

Extracurricular - good, I think!

Interview - I thought it went really really well

And yes, I will be accepting!

I will be attending the Windsor campus of Schulich. I am honestly so thankful for this offer, I am just stunned. I was very sick this year (see http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31324) and as a result my life was pretty screwed up for months. I wasn't even sure if I was going to graduate from my undergrad, let alone go to med school. I am now better and looking forward to studying medicine at Windsor!

cGPA: 3.86

MCAT (#1= 38 O, #2= 34Q)

Can't wait to meet you guys.

i got a call on June 19th, 11:00 a.m. I accepted the offer. i'll be joining those in the Windsor campus.

cGPA: 3.99

MCAT:35Q (12P, 11V, 12B)

Applied to:UWO, Queen, Ottawa, Toronto

Interview: UWO, Queen, Ottawa

accepted: UWO

Waitlisted:Ottawa

Best of luck to those who are still waiting and to the future applicant!

Applied: UWO, Queen's, UofToronto, McMaster, Dalhousie, Memorial, UofManitoba, UofSaskatchewan, UofCalgary, UofAlberta, UBC, Wayne State University, Michigan State University, State University of New York Downstate/Upstate/Stony Brook/Buffalo, NYMC, Albany Medical College, University of California LA/SF/SD/Irvine/Davis

Wow! You are an application machine!

Congrats! Are you joining the Windsor campus?

Marks got fixed, so I'm good (edit). Got the call around 1030 this morning, caught me completely off guard as I had spent part of this week looking for jobs for next year. Hopefully there are a few spots left...I had completely given up hope, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for everyone else. Best of luck to all.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as something for all those future students who ask: I have terrible marks in my first ___ year(s) of university, do I still have a chance at getting in, or the ones who just make the cut-offs and are wondering whether or not they still have a chance at getting in.

cGPA: 3.28 (2.49, 3.27, 3.10, 3.78, 3.75)

MCAT: 33Q (12PS/10VR/11BS)

I think my extra-curriculars were pretty strong (no research at all though) and definitely helped me give a good interview, but I just wanted to let future applicants know that not having a 4.0 to start off your university career doesn't necessarily mean it's over for you!

• 9 months later...

The forums have been crashing all day so we'll have to see if this goes through.

I am going to keep my academic stats confidential at the moment. My cGPA and MCAT scores are alright but nothing fantastic. My two best and last two years GPA are both much stronger than my cGPA.

Interviewed: NOSM, Schulich & Queens

Accepted: NOSM (Sudbury), Schulich (London) & Queens

SWOMAN status from a rural, non-northern area.

Strongly siding towards taking Schulich (this is almost certain) but as I have some time to think about it, I shall.

All the best,

BigM

Forums have been crashing non stop

Got the e-mail about 9:35 yesterday, 30 min after I got rejected from Mac

best 2 GPA: ~3.8

MCAT: 14b 13p 13v Q

Interviewed: McMaster, Western, Manitoba

Accepted: Western

Will be declining Manitoba if it comes, so Western it is!

See you all in the fall... if I can get this thesis done

Accepted!

4th Year - U of T

Last 2 Years GPA: 3.95+

MCAT: 11/12/11 S

Interview was great. LOVED the school.

Results at other schools:

Accepted: Queen's, UWO (London), Toronto, Ottawa

Waitlisted: McMaster, Dalhousie

I am torn 50/50 on whether to go to Queen's or UWO. I will be visiting both campuses this weekend, and will hopefully have my decision made by Monday or Tuesday. Would love to help you folks out on the waitlist sooner than later.

Congratulations everyone!

4th Year UWO

cGPA (at time of applying): 3.78

Best two years GPA (at time of applying): 3.79 and 3.85

MCAT: 12p, 11v, 11b and Q.

Applied: UWO, Toronto, MacMaster, Queen's, McGill, Alberta

Interviewed: Western

Accepted: Western

SWOMEN member. Applied after 3rd year, got waitlisted at Queen's--this year didn't get invited for interview :P. Ironically I felt the Queen's interview went smoother than the Western one.

ECs: 4th year research project, international exchanges/foreign language experience, classical guitar, volunteering/tutoring, ongoing restoration of vintage muscle car and scuba diving.

GL to everybody on the waitlist! To those about to apply, sometimes one is all you need.

Ontario resident from Toronto. Not SWOMEN.

Did my first year at Queen's, next 3 years at U of T (St. George campus). Took a year off after that to do paid research and apply to med school.

Best two years GPA (at time of applying): 3.92 (4.00 & 3.85)

MCAT: 35P: 10P, 11V, 14B and P.

Applied: UWO, Toronto, MacMaster, Queen's, Ottawa

Interviewed: Western

Accepted: Western (London campus)

First time applying to med school. UWO was my second choice (U of T was my first choice only because of the location).

ECs: 2 years volunteering in cancer centre, LOTS of research (full-time in summer and during my year off, part-time during school year, and 4th year project), one paper published in Nature Methods, working on first author paper during my year off. Not much in the way of ECs...always took dance classes, but not really any clubs or leadership activities after high school.

Interview: Felt it went very well. Took 1 hr 15 mins (poor interviewers missed half their lunch!). My PHONE started ringing while I was answering the first question...quickly shut it off, apologized, and finished answering the question. :o

I just wanted to say that almost everything that could go wrong, went wrong: I got very sick with a mysterious illness for 2 years of my undergrad, needed surgery, and spent a week in the hospital with post-surgical complications during midterms; found out my brother had a brain tumour during undergrad; failed a course in my second year and didn't have the mark removed until after I had applied; I had to write my MCATs in Buffalo and got zero sleep the night before; one of my reference letters was lost in the mail, and my other two letters were mailed out a few days before December 1; I got a P on the WS which would have put me out of the running for UWO in previous years; UWO initially rejected me pre-interview even though I met the cut-offs; I finally received an interview invite only 2 weeks before I had to interview; my phone went off during the interview.

So, if I could get into med school on my first try after all that, anyone can. :D

Wow, that's a true underdog story. It would make a good documentary..Congrats, it must feel so good.

"High waitlist position", but I have removed myself and accepted Queen's.

Masters student at U of T, undergrad from U of T, and certificate in American Sign Language and Deaf Studies from GBC

cGPA: 3.22 (so yes, friends, it IS possible...)

Best two years GPA (at time of applying): 3.93 and 3.84

MCAT: 9p, 11v, 11b and S.

Applied: UWO, Toronto, MacMaster, Queen's, NOSM, Calgary

Interviewed: Western, Queen's

Accepted: Queen's, high waitlist at Western

Non-SWOMEN, Ontario resident (Toronto)

ECs: intercollegiate and international-level synchronised swimming (going to worlds this summer), program coordinator at a swim club, volunteering in phys. ed program at a local high school, school clubs and committees, some published work in a commercially-available academic program, research (thesis + undergrad project + research assistant positions), etc.

Interview: Not so great, pretty choppy, and quite long (rambled...a lot).

As I mentioned, I removed myself from the "high" waitlist in favour of Queen's, so things are moving...