Premed 101 Forums

BC Naturopaths imminent to be granted prescribing power/minor surgery/lab/imagi

wtkchen

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was poking around the ND school in BC's website and found this interesting page linked directly from the main page:

http://www.binm.org/princeton.html

Apparently it's one of the best MEDICAL schools in North America. Also, it has a part time program (evenings and Saturdays)? What the hell?

The whole place seems greasy as hell. The whole profession is greasy as hell. The BCMA, CMA, RCPSC and CCFP is being WAY to quiet about this.

Speaking of greasiness, did you notice how it said it was on a list that included ONLY 18 other Canadian medical schools, and ONLY 1 other medical school in British Columbia? Nice spin.

This is ludicrous. I have no other words for it. I can't imagine ANYBODY in their right mind licensing naturopaths to practice MEDICINE. Naturopathy and medicine are two polar opposites. I'll have a tough time dealing with the short-sightedness of the BC government if this goes through. Usually I give most politicians the benefit of the doubt because I know 99% of the time they are trying to help but this is crossing the line.

P.S. I'm from Van and I have never heard of the Boucher College...I lol'd at their graduation pic!

Completely insane.

I'm saying this because I like BC, and if I ever go back to Whistler on a ski trip and break a leg (god forbid), I sure as hell don't want to see a ND check my leg out in emerg...

Or worse, put cold compresses on my open fracture, or chelate de $hit out of my "impure" wound...

noncestvrai

Doctors really have to place a really firm line on who can and cannot practice medicine. We have been ignorant to the politics of health care for far too long.

As for the NDs getting this close to becoming FPs:

I think that a lot of this has to do with the watering down of physician culture. Think about it: how many hospitals still have true doctor's lounges?

Years ago, the physician was a respected member of society who was given high prestige, respect, and remuneration, on the condition that they practice in the most altruistic and responsible ways. The old-school docs would be on call so often that I swear they were in the hospital more than they weren't - society gave them a lot for their constant dedication. Nobody challenged their judgments or their roles. They were trusted by society to be competent, and in turn nobody wanted to usurp their respected roles with quackery.

Now that physician pay, especially for primary care, is relatively lower than it was years ago, combined with patients' easier access to medical misinformation thanks to the internet, and the increase in the number of physicians who consider lifestyle the highest priority, the physician does not command the same respect and prestige that society once offered him.

This lack of respect, overabundance of misinformation, and relative lack of dedication, is what is driving students away from primary care and into lucrative lifestyle fields, and what is driving other non-medically-trained professionals to usurp the traditional role of the community doctor. It also explains why the public is not exceptionally distressed by this phenomenon.

The governing bodies, the general public, and the doctor's themselves are responsible for letting it get this far - too far.

I think you're looking back into the past with heavily-pink tinted glasses. Prior to medicare, primary care physicians had considerably variable remuneration - some did quite well - and they were particularly overworked and underpaid in rural or smaller centres.

I don't think changes in physicians' concern with lifestyle (like not being on-call all the time) have contributed to changes in the degree of respect and prestige they enjoy. Of course, we're past the point where nurses would open doors and fetch coffee for staff physicians - the hospital today is not what it was 40 years ago.

But you merely have to look at the preponderance of medically-related TV shows to see that, whatever else has changed, physicians are still accorded a high degree of prestige and respect. Quackery, unfortunately, has existed as long as modern medicine, and people will continue to seek out "alternatives" for many reasons.

I highly doubt that NDs have any kind of the support they claim to have in all this. I'm interested to know who they're paying off in the BC government, though - and I can't think of any other reason why such a loony policy would be proposed (though it does kinda make sense that it would occur in BC of all places).

I have been reading through the editorial section of the vancouver sun lately and I am totally shocked that the majority of the letters from the public seem to support the governments actions.

For situations dealing with the public this is the thing to remember:

Think of how dumb the average person is. Now realize that 50% of the population is worse than that.

Seriously though, there are two problems here:

1) The public has little understanding of medicine or medical training. They can't appreciate differences between MD training and ND training. I think it's beyond the scope of many people to truly appreciate the complexity of medicine or what it takes to make/become an MD.Plus the ND's do a real good marketing campaign to try and look like their education is legit vs. an MD.

2) The average person rarely writes letter to the editor. It's usually only people with very strong opinions. In this case, all the pro "natural" nut bags. Good examples of these people can be seen in 90% of the health news threads on CBC talking about how science/medicine is evil, vaccines hurt your immune system, and how modern medicine is slowly killing us (never mind that out avg. lifespan has gone from 40 to 80 years) etc.

Naturopathic physicians trained in drugs

Times Colonist (Victoria)

Fri 20 Feb 2009

Page: A11

Section: Comment

By: Christoph Kind

An article Feb. 16 highlighted proposed changes to allow naturopathic physicians (NDs) to prescribe medicine, enhancing patient choice and improving the health-care delivery. These changes reflect the government's commitment to shared scopes of practice, improved access to primary health providers, enhanced disease prevention and greater public choice, while not increasing health-care costs.

NDs have the training and experience necessary to know when certain medicines are required. The drugs they will be able to prescribe are in keeping with the competencies of the profession. Naturopathic physicians study pharmacology and pharmacognosy extensively. They prescribe pharmaceuticals safely and for the benefit of patients in many North American jurisdictions.

All licensed NDs complete university pre-medical training, then study four years at an accredited naturopathic medical college. The pharmacology training is similar to the training MDs receive. Students must be able to classify and describe the pharmacodynamics, side effects and therapeutic uses of drug prototypes. In addition, the ND must thoroughly understand the pharmacology of all natural substances. Upon graduation, each doctor must pass internationally standardized licensing exams, including pharmacology, before being licensed by the College of Naturopathic Physicians of B.C.

Dr. Christoph Kind ND

President

B.C. Naturopathic Association

There is a simple solution to the problem of whether ND's are capable of essentially doing the same job as Family Docs. Make them do the LMCC's and the CCFP exams, or at least just the CCFP exams. If they have the required skills to practice medicine, than they should be able to pass them.

But that makes too much sense, and the ND's will resist it tooth and nail (I think we all know why).

Make them do the LMCC's and the CCFP exams, or at least just the CCFP exams. If they have the required skills to practice medicine, than they should be able to pass them.

Of course. If the government doesn't require them to, I hope the insurance companies will (somehow).

I don't know how these clowns can claim their education is equivalent to an MD.

An amusing distinction:

Checked our SOPs in the lab and to process a test request we require an MD's signature. (Clinical clerks ordering on inpatients have exceptional status). Note that my lab is not in BC.

So, the change to the regulations would permit NDs to order tests, but that doesn't necessarily mean any tests are going to get done.

Guest soaring_eagle

Wow, I can understand why this possibility is generating such a stir. All I can hope for is the best to be done for patients. When money becomes the defining term of healthcare it leads to darkness. With doctor shortages now, it almost seems like a sneaky way to privatize "family doctor care" (ie. family doc is too busy, okay lets go to our ND!! we can get the same treatment, viola plus more).

Is it the same treatment? My guess is this amendment would boost ND visits and increase their salaries.

But when it comes to healthcare, I hope those who need to stand up for what is right will do so.

Personally I would like to "test" this claim that a Natrupaths education is as comprehensive as a Medical school education.

As unlikely as this is to ever happen without lots of time, money and people to agree to it, I propose a widespread experiment as follows:

• Testing fresh graduates and as well those who have just completed their licensing exam, from Medical and Naturopath schools.
  • Choose a handful of Medical schools and...all the ND schools (since there are only a handful that are accredited to train "Naturopathic Medical Doctors" to begin with)
  • Distribute a typical licensing exam from another country (say the Australian AMC exam detailed here: http://www.amc-exam.com/amc-exam-details.html)
  • Grade them
  • then we can have some solid numbers to compare to on how well Naturopaths are actually educated compared to their Medical counterparts.

I wonder what people thought when these ND students walked onto UBC campus and started taking photos? Notice that they are not just graduating, they are graduatiing!

grad%20gde.jpg

LOL LOL

I just got to say I am in love with this picture and all the "doctors" that appear in it! It is like a where's waldo of funnyness. At first glance it looks kinda normal... Then you notice spelling mistakes, goofy footwear etc.

LOVE IT!

With that said, I think it is time for the CMA to stomp out this insanity. These guys should be "prescribing" over the counter herbal remedies to BC green freaks. Nothing more.

There is a simple solution to the problem of whether ND's are capable of essentially doing the same job as Family Docs. Make them do the LMCC's and the CCFP exams, or at least just the CCFP exams. If they have the required skills to practice medicine, than they should be able to pass them.

But that makes too much sense, and the ND's will resist it tooth and nail (I think we all know why).

exactly. If ND's want the privilege of prescribing meds, than they need to go through the same licensing exams MD's do. Even then, like many others have mentioned, if this is all about improving access to health care, there are many IMG's who have passed these exams in Canada (never mind that many have also practiced several years in their respective countries) and cannot practice here, so why aren't we increasing residency positions for these actual doctors? Also, if ND's want the responsibilities of a family doctor, than maybe we should abolish naturopathy entirely (and maybe have a sub-specialty in medicine for those who wish to study naturopathy on top of their medical training)..I mean I thought it was an 'alternative' for a reason.

I believe the public has a right to alternative forms of health care if thats what they want, but physicians also have a right to protect their professional territory...which is exactly what the CMA has been doing by keeping IMG's out. I hate politicians.

LOL LOL

I just got to say I am in love with this picture and all the "doctors" that appear in it! It is like a where's waldo of funnyness. At first glance it looks kinda normal... Then you notice spelling mistakes, goofy footwear etc.

LOVE IT!

With that said, I think it is time for the CMA to stomp out this insanity. These guys should be "prescribing" over the counter herbal remedies to BC green freaks. Nothing more.

I love the guy in the back 2nd from the left. He looks like he's thinking, "WTF kind of mistake did I make becoming a naturopath!?!"

Archived