Premed 101 Forums

How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?

How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How many times did you apply to medical school before being accepted?

• 5+

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The grass always seems greener on the other side ;)

Getting into med school as a university or non trad candidate in Qc isn't all that easy. I'm not saying it's harder or easier for anyone, just that we all have our obstacles to face.

C

Pfft Quebeckers have it WAY easier than the rest of us, Ontarians specifically. Actually, getting into med school really isn't a huge deal for anyone except for Ontarians.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I was shocked at getting in on my first application; however, given how 'skin of my teeth' my pre-interview scores were, I suspect I'd have applied multiple times had I started earlier and applied before my MSc. I just skipped those early years and didn't apply until I had a host of ECs.

Almost everyone I know has applied several times. For a lot of my friends it's been an important experience.

I agree with what others have mentioned, and I'd be curious to see the numbers excluding the French group (QC and NBers that go QC). It would be hard to see exactly which groups have it harder, but not having to do and MCAT and an entire undergrad first does say something.

you'd have to take Ottawa out of the equation then also, as they don't require MCAT and you can get in after third year.

I have a friend who got in on his sixth attempt :) that's persistence.

I made mistakes just like many applicants. Without MCAT, I only applied to one school the first time. With MCAT in place, I applied to six schools the second and third times. I would say my applications were much stronger as I matured with more years of education (pursue double degrees), E.C. and application experiences. It's the building up my profile and learning from my mistakes that made me as a much stronger person / applicant.

Mistakes I made:

1. I did not write MCAT early enough for my first cycle. With good enough MCAT in place, one can apply broadly.

2. For my second cycle, I did not do enough research on different med school requirements (e.g. U of A did not accept AP English as an English credit).

3. For the second cycle, I felt very exhausted to do all those applications and did not spend as much time as I should have on them. It did show that the more care (or time) I had on the application, I got interview.

4. For some schools, reference letters did count. After the second cycle, one of my referees gave me a copy of his letter. He is not a good letter writer! So, for the third cycle, I did give my C.V. and some other general information to all my referees.

I have 2 undergraduate degrees. So, I do not know what exactly my GPA is. For my second degree, it is above 3.9. My GPA has upward trend.

I have a decent MCAT score. It is a balanced score with every section above 10.

I consider myself a good applicant with many long term E.C., decent GPA and MCAT, but it still took me three cycles to get into medical school. So, don't give up!

I got in on my 5th try. A fellow classmate got in after 4, and too many to count after 3 tries.... Just because you don't get in on the first try, doesn't mean its all over! If you really want it, just keep at it. Your app will get stronger every year and eventually you will make it somewhere!

• 1 month later...

I got in right away, but if I was to do it again I think I would have taken some time. There is a certain degree of life experience that just cannot be made up for if you get into meds when you are 21ish. I sure grew a lot from my early to mid 20s...

With this additional life experience I think medical school would have been even better, especially early on, and discovering what you want to do with your life come CaRMS a little easier and less stressful.

Not getting in on your first go could defiantly could be a big plus in hindsight IMHO.

Hm, average of 1.8 applications so far. Is this a proof that using premed101 helps people get in? (Or that stronger applicants tend to use premed101)

Personally, I got my acceptance on my 4th application. But that's also because I didn't have a bachelor during the first three years, so couldn't apply broadly (4,1,2,34 schools in each year).

Hm, average of 1.8 applications so far. Is this a proof that using premed101 helps people get in? (Or that stronger applicants tend to use premed101)

Probably a combination of the two.

I'm a first year McGill student and hope to get into McGill med school some day. You had such great scores and you still got rejected, without even an interview?! That is extremely discouraging considering I am currently sitting on a 3.26 GPA... :P

Personally, I got my acceptance on my 4th application. But that's also because I didn't have a bachelor during the first three years, so couldn't apply broadly (4,1,2,34 schools in each year).

wow, that must have been costly

Archived