Premed 101 Forums

medapplications.com

loopas

Any applicant worth his or her salt should not waste time or money on things like these. The vast majority of these and other consulting services are here to take advantage of desperate applicants.

Be confident in your application and interview by believing in yourself, not by believing in some consulting company.

• 2 weeks later...

I used medapplications.com as did a number of my friends who are all now in med school. I ended up choosing it because it was cheaper than the other services I looked at using. I wanted some professional advice, and had heard useful things about it from my friends in med school. Thought it was worth every penny, as they covered all the basics, gave some really great tips, and gave me some really useful (and brutally honest) feedback. If I remember correctly, I did a prep session and then a mock interview. The people I worked with were all in med school. Definitely wasn't free, but I would do it again.

I hope you all realize that all of these consulting firms are just there to exploit anxious pre-meds. I unfortunately learned this when I paid around $300 for a not even 1 hour consultation with Astroff consultants, not really sure what I was thinking except I was a nervous wreck, then pretty much got told things I already knew or info that I could easily find on the internet. Too late for regrets now, money's gone.

It's obviously not really about the money though, but more the feeling of being seriously ripped off. I've heard many similar stories of other pre-med consultant companies, wish I listened. I admit it is quite hard to get past the fact that sometimes there is no secret way to get to where we all want to be, med school. Just keep believing that hard work pays off in the end.

We should start a consultation service with people on PM101 and raise money to upgrade the forum! (Or donate it!)

MedApplications.com came to my school and spoke to a number of our undergraduates about interview prep and med school admissions. From my experience they seemed very knowledgeable and professional and offered us to get in contact with the speaker for questions down the road. Many of my friends have followed up and have received very valuable advice.

I know a lot of my friends in upper years have used their services for applications and interview prep over the last two years with great success. Specifically for all Ontario medical schools. I agree, it is definitely an investment, but for getting some professional guidance in a very competitive applicant pool, it can certainly make a huge difference.

MedApplications.com came to my school and spoke to a number of our undergraduates about interview prep and med school admissions. From my experience they seemed very knowledgeable and professional and offered us to get in contact with the speaker for questions down the road. Many of my friends have followed up and have received very valuable advice.

I know a lot of my friends in upper years have used their services for applications and interview prep over the last two years with great success. Specifically for all Ontario medical schools. I agree, it is definitely an investment, but for getting some professional guidance in a very competitive applicant pool, it can certainly make a huge difference.

Cynical moment over here:

You can't join literally today with a username with the previous year (intentionally trying to be misleading?) and advocate a buisiness that has been known to come on this site and solicit and expect MeGusta to not be suspicious.

You just can't.

Megusta, that's fair enough. In reading some of the other posts, perhaps the focus should be on eliminating a lot of the misinformation and "opinion" based posts and stick to evidence. I think its important that student groups on campus have access to speakers who can provide information on med school. At least that's the only way we get talks, perhaps your experience is different. Just giving an honest opinion.

Obviously, adopting a 3rd person persona for your username is very healthy. Might as well use your real first name (?) so we are not confused between the different people you think you are (schizo?)

I am just joking. Rock on, Me Gusta.

My psych textbooks used to say that a lot of people don't know the difference between schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder and I'd smirk at the thought of someone using them interchangably yet here I am, on a premed forum of all places

It seems the senior members of this forum misuse the modality for personal use. I thought the purpose of this was for objective evidence and help for pre-meds, not social interactions.

The sessions for pre-meds at Universities by companies like medapplications.com, help our student groups and are based on evidence and not personal opinion. I think I as well as my peers will stick to that.

• 5 years later...

Anyone thinking of using them, do not- they are terrible! They give bad advice (even contradictory to med school websites) and do not reply in a timely fashion- you have to chase them. If you complain formally, they just don't reply. Now even their website is mostly down-very shady business. 

Archived