Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/waitlisted/rejected For 2015 Cycle

I just received a "conditional acceptance" from Dalhousie for OT!!!

However in the e-mail they state that this means that the school has *recommended* me for acceptance but that the final decision is still to be made. Does anyone know how often someone who is recommended is denied at this stage? It seems really early for an acceptance, conditional or not, and this worries me. 

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

This is what I found in the application forms for Dalhousie :)

"The admission committee makes recommendations of acceptance to the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS). In the meantime, the School of Occupational Therapy will send out (through email) and not before April 15th, a confirmation of receipt of your application and documents. FGS makes the final decision and, if successful, a formal offer of admission is sent to the applicant by the Registrar’s office of Dalhousie University. (For applicants with courses ‘in progress,’ a conditional acceptance letter may be sent well before the June 15th transcript deadline.)"

So, you were recommended which is a great sign! However, the final decision is made by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and seems that earliest to know exact results is April 15. You can always email them too and ask what it means?

Congratulations on being recognized! :D 

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just received a "conditional acceptance" from Dalhousie for OT!!!

However in the e-mail they state that this means that the school has *recommended* me for acceptance but that the final decision is still to be made. Does anyone know how often someone who is recommended is denied at this stage? It seems really early for an acceptance, conditional or not, and this worries me. 

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Congrats!!

This is what I found in the application forms for Dalhousie :)

"The admission committee makes recommendations of acceptance to the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS). In the meantime, the School of Occupational Therapy will send out (through email) and not before April 15th, a confirmation of receipt of your application and documents. FGS makes the final decision and, if successful, a formal offer of admission is sent to the applicant by the Registrar’s office of Dalhousie University. (For applicants with courses ‘in progress,’ a conditional acceptance letter may be sent well before the June 15th transcript deadline.)"

So, you were recommended which is a great sign! However, the final decision is made by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and seems that earliest to know exact results is April 15. You can always email them too and ask what it means?

Congratulations on being recognized! :D

Thank you! I know it is good news regardless, but I am paranoid that perhaps it is not quite *as* good as the email title of "conditional acceptance" means?

are you from one of the eastern provinces? maybe they are doing admissions processes for them early?

No, I am an Ontario resident - I was very surprised to get any information so early! It is still conditional - and appears to be more conditional on if *they* accept me. I want to be excited, but I am a little confused. 

No, I am an Ontario resident - I was very surprised to get any information so early! It is still conditional - and appears to be more conditional on if *they* accept me. I want to be excited, but I am a little confused. 

oh wow congratulations then that's pretty awesome. I think this is a great sign, you're definitely one of the top applicants. Maybe if you would like to clarify, I would call/email the office and ask what it means in terms of how far this advances you in the process?

oh wow congratulations then that's pretty awesome. I think this is a great sign, you're definitely one of the top applicants. Maybe if you would like to clarify, I would call/email the office and ask what it means in terms of how far this advances you in the process?

Thank you! I do hope so! I e-mailed the person who had sent the email asking about a timeframe or how often people are accepted after this step. I'm always so scared to come off as rude or demanding when trying to clarify information!!

I would definitely call or email them since it's a bit confusing :) also, since supposedly as stated above no info is suppose to be released till after April 15... but no matter I think it's great news!! I've applied there as well - I'm an Albertan resident. Fingers crossed :D 

I would definitely call or email them since it's a bit confusing :) also, since supposedly as stated above no info is suppose to be released till after April 15... but no matter I think it's great news!! I've applied there as well - I'm an Albertan resident. Fingers crossed :D

Thank you! I do hope so! I e-mailed the person who had sent the email asking about a timeframe or how often people are accepted after this step. I'm always so scared to come off as rude or demanding when trying to clarify information!!

Keep us updated :) 

Has anyone applied to schools outside of Canada? A physio that I work with advised me to look into England and Australia as back-ups. Tuition in Australia is insane ($38,500/year approx.). Has anyone else look into/considered this?

I've looked but found that the cost is just way to high to be studying outside of Canada for me :S 

Keep us updated :)

Did you hear back from them? :)

I've looked but found that the cost is just way to high to be studying outside of Canada for me :S 

Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat. I'm just trying to decide if paying this kind of money would be preferable to waiting and applying again next year. So stressful! 

Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat. I'm just trying to decide if paying this kind of money would be preferable to waiting and applying again next year. So stressful! 

Yeah it's a tough decision. I decided that I would apply to all schools in Canada to better my chance and thought that paying more for the application fees was worth it then going outside of Canada in the long run. Hoping out of all nine schools for OT - someone will take me :) Follow what you feel is best for you! Good luck :) 

Yeah it's a tough decision. I decided that I would apply to all schools in Canada to better my chance and thought that paying more for the application fees was worth it then going outside of Canada in the long run. Hoping out of all nine schools for OT - someone will take me :) Follow what you feel is best for you! Good luck :)

My issue is that I'm not applying from a relevant bachelor degree, so I don't meet the criteria for some schools (U of T needs 75% of bachelor be science content, UBC requires all upgrading to be done at a senior course level, etc.). I applied to 5 schools in Canada. I guess I need to put some serious thought into international options if I really want it this year. Good luck to you! I hope you get into OT   :)

My issue is that I'm not applying from a relevant bachelor degree, so I don't meet the criteria for some schools (U of T needs 75% of bachelor be science content, UBC requires all upgrading to be done at a senior course level, etc.). I applied to 5 schools in Canada. I guess I need to put some serious thought into international options if I really want it this year. Good luck to you! I hope you get into OT   :)

Oh gosh - yeah there is more pre-reqs required for PT eh... sorry to hear that. I'm not from a relevant bachelor either but only needed to take an extra full semester of courses to apply to all OT schools. Sorry to hear, but whatever route you go in the end it's all worth it :) even with some debt. Good luck :D 

Oh gosh - yeah there is more pre-reqs required for PT eh... sorry to hear that. I'm not from a relevant bachelor either but only needed to take an extra full semester of courses to apply to all OT schools. Sorry to hear, but whatever route you go in the end it's all worth it :) even with some debt. Good luck :D

Yes, damn competitive programs huh? If only our dream careers were less ambitious, lol. I've been upgrading prerequisites and GPA for 2 years. I feel like I have a shot, but then again I've seen a lot of posts from people that I would have thought would have gotten in for sure with their experience and grades. Thanks and good luck to you too  :)

Yes, damn competitive programs huh? If only our dream careers were less ambitious, lol. I've been upgrading prerequisites and GPA for 2 years. I feel like I have a shot, but then again I've seen a lot of posts from people that I would have thought would have gotten in for sure with their experience and grades. Thanks and good luck to you too  :)

Hehe yeah but this also means that PTs and OTs really want their career and work hard for it! :) Hmm I know what you mean, from what I see on your GPA post you are competitive that's for sure :) keep your head up and we will know very soon - at least for U of A :) 

Hehe yeah but this also means that PTs and OTs really want their career and work hard for it! :) Hmm I know what you mean, from what I see on your GPA post you are competitive that's for sure :) keep your head up and we will know very soon - at least for U of A :)

Thanks, I hope it's enough. Yes, the countdown is on! Fingers crossed!

Archived