Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlist Support

Figured someone would make this (or would want this made), so decided to take the initiative since we waitlisters have some more waiting to do and I figured we could use all the encouragement possible!

This can be a thread where people talk about their worries, plans for the upcoming cycle, and perhaps if people are giving up their acceptance / waitlist spots (so other waitlisters can continue feeling hopeful)!

Congrats to everyone who has been offered admission, and hopefully many of us on the waitlist can get those acceptance emails soon!

EDIT: By the way, yons36 made a pretty handy survey since we're probably obsessing over stats to figure out if we have a good chance to get off the waitlist. http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/84534-acceptedwaitlisted-survey/

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for making this ShadowStar.

Is there a "High/Good/Low Wait List" status this year or is it just one giant "Wait List"? Is there really no way to find out how much of a chance we have?

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List.

You should be advised that our policy does not permit us to release any information concerning the rank order or any other information regarding the Wait List. Therefore we ask that you refrain from contacting the office with any inquiries related to your ranking on the list."

Thanks for making this ShadowStar.

Is there a "High/Good/Low Wait List" status this year or is it just one giant "Wait List"? Is there really no way to find out how much of a chance we have?

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List.

You should be advised that our policy does not permit us to release any information concerning the rank order or any other information regarding the Wait List. Therefore we ask that you refrain from contacting the office with any inquiries related to your ranking on the list."

There are 3 tiers.  Yours would be the normal tier. (vs high and low)

As I understand it, it goes as as follows:

High

"In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

Normal

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."

Low

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission. While there are no certainties, we wanted to communicate this information to you in an attempt to allow you to be as informed as possible in making decisions about your future."

Good luck! Hope I see you guys in September :)

At least 4 people from the "normal" wait list got in last year it seems based on this forum.

yeah we aren't sure except that normally it does go into the normal waitlist. The flip side of this as I mentioned is the high waitlist clears regularly.

Anyone know when waitlist movement will begin? My email said to respond by May 26th to remain on waitlist. Would it be safe to assume that by the Friday of that week (29th) the calls will start up?

Also do we get confirmation emails when we ask to remain on waitlist? I'm very paranoid right now that admissions didn't receive my email even though I know I shouldn't be

Anyone know when waitlist movement will begin? My email said to respond by May 26th to remain on waitlist. Would it be safe to assume that by the Friday of that week (29th) the calls will start up?

Also do we get confirmation emails when we ask to remain on waitlist? I'm very paranoid right now that admissions didn't receive my email even though I know I shouldn't be

usually starts up very shortly after the cut off for offers. Schools want to get the people they can quickly as there is a bit of an arms race.

be a bit paranoid - that is a good thing :) check with the office if you are worried.

ShadowStar I feel the same way! I'm worried what if they didn't receive my reply confirming I want to stay on the waitlist or what if they accidentally enter me as not on the waitlist due to the influx of so many email replies. Wish we could check or have some confirmation that they will be keeping us on the waitlist.

I thought all my Schulich emails were going to my inbox but oddly today's Wait List email went to my Spam folder (now moved to inbox of course) but now I'm even wondering if there were other emails I missed :(

For Schulich, I believe so - probably a few days later even. Other schools may contact applicants earlier which could maybe help with improving waitlist movement at Schulich

I mean every year potentially is different - but Western usually leaves it right to the end, and then starts it up.

they don't do a play by play where some drops off the list and immediately they are seeking their replacement.

I'm half-grateful for that. At least we have a more concrete date to look forward to, and I think it might improve the amount of waitlist movement

mathematically it could only help you - as someone may be on the waitlist ahead of you but potentially on the waitlist at two schools. You want that person accepted at another school to clear your way. It is the  way they are going to be removed from the waitlist that doesn't hurt your chances. Root for other schools to start immediately on their waitlist :)

The admissions office is now sending confirmations emails saying they got your contact info for the waitlist! 

ahh excellent :) Amazing how active they are - particular since convocation is also coming up this week. I cannot begin to describe how hard they work at this time.

ahh excellent :) Amazing how active they are - particular since convocation is also coming up this week. I cannot begin to describe how hard they work at this time.

rmorelan, I was placed on the high wait list for this cycle and I saw in the 2013 waitlist thread that the entire high waitlist was cleared completely.

I wanted to ask if there was ever a year where a seat wasn't offered to all of the people on the high wait list?

EDIT: Yes, I did indeed create an account for my being waitlisted the first time that I'm applying to medical school :)

Archived