Premed 101 Forums

Looking For Information From Uottawa Md Students

Hey guys,

I was in Ottawa this past thanksgiving and my friend gave me a tour of the medical school (she is from Ottawa and thought it would be a good idea to show me around since I am applying to Ottawa this year).

From what I got to see and experience about the city, I am really feeling it and loving it - not only do I have a great group of friends that are from Ottawa but I find the city beautiful.

So, as of right now uOttawa is looking like my #1 choice (if somehow I do end up getting in of course, fingers crossed).

Just wondering if any current students, or anyone who is knowledgeable about the MD program there can share some information?

I am really interested in learning about the clinical aspect of first year (ELE1900), also some others:

- What exactly do you do during community week?

- Is foundations unit really dense and fast paced?

- Any other general advice?

Thanks in advance to all repliers!

I can't speak to community week yet, but it's basically a clinical elective in a rural setting such as family docs office/a clinic.

Foundations is pretty awful but we are getting through it. It's a lot of different information being thrown at us all at once but it's not unmanageable.

So far I love the program and my peers seem to agree. You can PM me if you have more specific questions.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

I was in Ottawa this past thanksgiving and my friend gave me a tour of the medical school (she is from Ottawa and thought it would be a good idea to show me around since I am applying to Ottawa this year).

From what I got to see and experience about the city, I am really feeling it and loving it - not only do I have a great group of friends that are from Ottawa but I find the city beautiful.

So, as of right now uOttawa is looking like my #1 choice (if somehow I do end up getting in of course, fingers crossed).

Just wondering if any current students, or anyone who is knowledgeable about the MD program there can share some information?

I am really interested in learning about the clinical aspect of first year (ELE1900), also some others:

- What exactly do you do during community week?

- Is foundations unit really dense and fast paced?

- Any other general advice?

Thanks in advance to all repliers!

As BelleMD mentioned, we haven't really done our community week, so I am not too sure about it. I don't think foundations unit is really all that bad. I think the general consensus is that the following system units like cardio, resp, and nephro are much better. My general advice is to just to stay up to date with all the readings and lecture materials because it's not hard to get a little too far behind (as I have). Good luck this application cycle and feel free to PM if you have any more specific questions :)

• 1 month later...

For community week, you'll be assigned to go to a rural area for a week to do observerships with doctors and gain clinical experience. You get to submit a list of places that you'd like to go to, and a list of specialties that you'd like to do the observership in. Depending on where you go, the experience can be quite different. I went to a moderately-sized town and the community hospital that I was placed in was actually quite  big, so I got to see a lot of stuff. Some people were placed in family doctor clinics, some did obs/gyn, some did radiology and surgery. 

Archived