Premed 101 Forums

Western Medical Science Vs Queen's Life Sciences

lulu897

Hey Everyone!

I'm currently trying to decide between Western University and Queen's for the Medical Science and Life Science programs. I'm stuck between the two schools as I know they are very similar so I'm hoping I can get some feedback from you all that can help make my decision a little easier.

Western University:

Pros:

-The Medical Science program seems rather specialized compared to Queen's

-I can graduate with my Bachelor's of Medical Science rather than just a B.Sc

-The Medical Science program is ran by Schulich Medical School so I feel like I would be getting the best of the best in terms of academics

-Better dorms

-They seem to have A LOT of clubs and recreational groups to participate in

-Western is ranked higher 

Cons:

-I've heard Western is a huge party school and I think it would be harder to focus if everyone around you is going out all the time

-I've been told that first year is very difficult

-The campus isn't as close knit as Queen's

-I've been told that Western is very much like a high school and can tend to be a little clique-y

Queen's University

Pros:

-I've heard the people at Queen's are a little more academically focused

-The more "conservative" school of the two

-Kingston 

-The campus is close knit and so pretty!

-Smaller class sizes

-I've heard Queen's is fairly generous in terms of bursaries.. Not too sure of this though

Cons:

-I haven't heard as many things about the Life Science program itself in comparison to the MedSci program.. 

-Supposedly Queen's sends less people into Medicine than Western

-I've heard the science programs can be very competitive

My long term goal right now is to get into medicine after undergrad so I'm hoping to attend wherever will best prepare me for the MCAT and my future in general. Also, please correct me if some of my pros or cons are incorrect as a lot of my information was passed down onto me from others.

All advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

To be honest, most of the reasons you have there are 100% arbitrary reasons to choose schools. I.e. the Bmedsci has no bearing on anything. At all. Neither does the fact that it's run by the Medical faculty. Not sure what you meant there...but again, this has 0 relevance on literally anything. 

Both schools are shockingly similar, to be honest. Go where you see yourself being happiest for 4 years. That's the key. Both programs are very reasonable to obtain a good GPA in, lots of interesting courses, etc. I don't think you could pick to more similar schools. 

I would visit both, and see which 'feel' you prefer, and which city you'd rather live in. I can't stress enough how irrelevant the school you do undergrad at is for med applications. 

Nearly everything you've listed is irrelevant, anecdotal or interchangeable between schools. Rankings don't matter, neither does the degree you get, or the fact that BMSc is affiliated with Schulich. You'll learn the exact same things and both schools will provide you with virtually identical opportunities outside of the classroom. Both will also adequately prepare you for the MCAT. These questions have also been asked several times.

Go to the school you like better because there will be little difference between most schools excluding Mac Health Sci and QuARMS.

Nearly everything you've listed is irrelevant, anecdotal or interchangeable between schools. Rankings don't matter, neither does the degree you get, or the fact that BMSc is affiliated with Schulich. You'll learn the exact same things and both schools will provide you with virtually identical opportunities outside of the classroom. Both will also adequately prepare you for the MCAT. These questions have also been asked several times.

Go to the school you like better because there will be little difference between most schools excluding Mac Health Sci and QuARMS.

More like dozens and dozens. Self directed learning anyone :P? Builds character :D. Good luck in choosing, both are good schools!

Archived