Premed 101 Forums

How Busy Is Life As A Dental Student?

Oh absolutely agree.

It's definitely the BS that makes you crazy.

I hated the workload because I felt we had to study and be tested on so much crap that wasn't relevant and had a shortage of practical information that would actually help us going into practice.

Granted, I was at McGill, so the whole program kicks off with 18 months of learning crap that's completely irrelevant (I can confidently say that in 3 years of practice I have never needed to know the anatomical names of the parts of the penis in order to do dentistry)

So once we started dentistry, I had very little patience for pointless memorization of nit picky little facts that will never make me a better dentist.

See, I saw my time and energy as valuable, whereas most students just hunker down and do what they're asked to do. I was a total PITA in dental school.

:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P 

that's hilarious......

the patient could have a systemic condition where they have ulcers on their genitals....and now u know exactly where they are bahahahah

Oh absolutely agree.

It's definitely the BS that makes you crazy.

I hated the workload because I felt we had to study and be tested on so much crap that wasn't relevant and had a shortage of practical information that would actually help us going into practice.

Granted, I was at McGill, so the whole program kicks off with 18 months of learning crap that's completely irrelevant (I can confidently say that in 3 years of practice I have never needed to know the anatomical names of the parts of the penis in order to do dentistry)

So once we started dentistry, I had very little patience for pointless memorization of nit picky little facts that will never make me a better dentist.

See, I saw my time and energy as valuable, whereas most students just hunker down and do what they're asked to do. I was a total PITA in dental school.

Just to clarify... does only Mcgill do this?

Well we did take a gross anatomy course as well in 1st year, but it was fairly straightforward... the emphasis was on the head and neck anatomy course.

We do not have combined classes, but some of the classes have very similar structure and sometimes even the same professors.

• 2 weeks later...

I think our class average is way higher than it should be as well (80s), as we have quite the intelligent, diverse class composition. Doesn't mean that life can't throw a curve-ball at you sometimes. That's when you set your priorities straight and drop the A for a C. It's not worth it to overwork yourself over grades... they rarely even look at them for graduate school as long as you're above that cut-off (contrary to what you believe).

"A students make the best professors... C students the best clinicians"

I think our class average is way higher than it should be as well (80s), as we have quite the intelligent, diverse class composition. Doesn't mean that life can't throw a curve-ball at you sometimes. That's when you set your priorities straight and drop the A for a C. It's not worth it to overwork yourself over grades... they rarely even look at them for graduate school as long as you're above that cut-off (contrary to what you believe).

"A students make the best professors... C students the best clinicians"

Ps get degrees  :P  :P

Archived