Premed 101 Forums

Aamc And Khan Academy Prep

rosetta123

Does anyone have advice about the best ways to use the official AAMC resources and Khan Academy practice passages? I've read that people recommend leaving the AAMC practice tests until close to test day. Is it better to work through the section banks/question packs subject by subject or is there a way to essentially simulate an actual test? Any feedback you could provide would be much appreciated  :)

The best way to do it is to find a way that works for you. When I started studying for the MCAT I wrote out a detailed study plan and stuck to it. I'm the type of person that likes a schedule and likes to know what I will do the next day. Also, seeing all my study time in front of me allowed me to evenly distribute the test packs and the actual AAMC practice test. I liked having regular intervals of testing so I could see if I was improving or retaining the information. Of course, some people like to leave all the test materials until the end, so again, its up to you and your preferred style.

Personally I did the following: the AAMC "guide test" about 1 month before my test date, the AAMC actual full length test about 2-3 weeks before my test date (so I could extensively review all of the questions I got wrong), CARS and bio AAMC test about 2 weeks before my test, and the physics AAMC test about a week before the test. I also had the Sterling test book for chem and physics (there were 4 tests each) so I did one of those a week as well. In terms of Khan Academy, I did all of their CARS practice passages but there were only about 5-6 last year so I just spent one day doing them. I found them a little easier than the actual AAMC test CARS passages so I found other resources. I used "Nextstep" CARS practice and I found the passages VERY difficult. If I remember correctly they had about 6 full length CARS tests. If I could manage to do one practice test of Nextstep and score about 50-60% I was satisfied. It made the actual CARS on the MCAT seem much easier.

When you do the actual full length AAMC test I suggest you treat it EXACTLY like test day. For breaks, only take the amount of time you would get on test day, including lunch. This will give you a sense of what it will actually be like and will lower stress levels on the actual day. 

Again, I want to say, just find a system that works for you. Once you get into your study groove you will find a system that works. Good luck!!

Hey, I agree with lifeisawesome, try to finish khan academy passages, and do the content review before you do the AAMC material ( most people leave the AAMC material till the last month). Also, try looking into doing additional passage from other sources ( such as TPR). Best of Luck !!

Archived