Premed 101 Forums

Applying During a MSc

I promise I've googled this and looked through the website, but, what is UofA's policy on deferring an acceptance to finish a Masters? Or, do they give the option to drop a Master's (not that I would but...). UofC will let you enter the Leaders in Medicine program to finish grad studies but I have no idea what UofA is up to. Could someone direct me to where I can find this information? Thank you! :) 

They don't list the information anywhere, that I am aware of. 

In general, they don't appear to have a real policy around this. Since I am in my PhD I have spoken to Dr. Underhill (MD/PhD committee chair), and he basically said current U of A graduate students can get deferrals on a case-by-case basis. He also said that they highly dislike when students leave their research to pursue medicine. A lot of the professors in departments are pushing to either have guaranteed deferrals, or a no-leaving policy similar to that of U of C. 

Basically, it sounds like you will be given a deferral if you end up needing it, or they may hustle you along and force you to finish a little earlier than planned.

On 2017-07-24 at 8:11 PM, adhominem said:

They don't list the information anywhere, that I am aware of. 

In general, they don't appear to have a real policy around this. Since I am in my PhD I have spoken to Dr. Underhill (MD/PhD committee chair), and he basically said current U of A graduate students can get deferrals on a case-by-case basis. He also said that they highly dislike when students leave their research to pursue medicine. A lot of the professors in departments are pushing to either have guaranteed deferrals, or a no-leaving policy similar to that of U of C. 

Basically, it sounds like you will be given a deferral if you end up needing it, or they may hustle you along and force you to finish a little earlier than planned.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if this deferral policy applies to other schools such as UofC? That is, can you ask for a deferral if you get accepted at UofA and are attending graduate studies at UofC?

I applied during my MPH and from my discussions with adcoms, it comes down to the following:

-most masters programs are 2 years: 1st year the prof or PI sinks a ton of money into you because you don't know anything and have to get brought up to speed. 2nd year is where they get their return - you're a valuable member and start cranking out publications for them. To leave after 1st year just leaves them high and dry. It's understandable that many schools are not offering the option to apply during your masters.

-HOwever, UofA don't really give a shoot. Nowhere on their application does it actual ask about masters status. You are correct about UofC - you have to get your supervisors approval in order to actually appy; I had no such requirement for UofA.

-As for actually completing your masters, that's another matter. UofA "treats everything on a case by case basis", but they aren't keen on defering for you to finish an MSc. In their eyes, how dare you waste their time applying if you aren't completely ready to give up everything and start right away. That's how my discussions with them went anyway

-Caveat:  I know a few people who only had a handful of courses + capstone left on their MPH and the faculty of medicine let them take them in addition to their regular coursework. So basically they take an extra class per term and bang out the masters on the side

My 2 cents: just apply and see what happens. We all know the biggest thing with med admissions (after having a decent gpa, etc) is getting your name in the hat as many times as possible. If you get in and theirs an issue, that's Future teapenguin's problem. ;)

On 7/29/2017 at 1:01 PM, JohnGrisham said:

OR you can just wait until you are in the final year of your masters before applying. Like a responsible adult.

I don't know why you're insinuating otherwise...

While what you said is the preferred way to go... if somehow the student applying will uphold his/her promise to finish their masters or PhD, then who gives a f@#$? 

I know people in med school that finished up their defense during the first semester of med school. It can be done. 

- G 

2 hours ago, GH0ST said:

While what you said is the preferred way to go... if somehow the student applying will uphold his/her promise to finish their masters or PhD, then who gives a f@#$? 

I know people in med school that finished up their defense during the first semester of med school. It can be done. 

- G 

Of course if everyone is on board and there is a way to do that pathway then that also works. Much of the time though that means making exceptions and causing more work for others involved, particularly the supervisor and support team perhaps. But if they're willing -great. The easier solution is to do as above.

On 7/28/2017 at 6:39 AM, chemiosmosis11 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you know if this deferral policy applies to other schools such as UofC? That is, can you ask for a deferral if you get accepted at UofA and are attending graduate studies at UofC?

Hard to say since they handle everything on a case-by-case basis. However, I would suspect they would only ever allow deferrals for UofA graduate students. They have no reason to do so for other students, whereas it is in the interest of their own faculty to allow students to finish graduate programs at the UofA.

On 2017-07-31 at 3:13 PM, GH0ST said:

- G 

I think there's a pretty big difference between only needing to defend, and only being at the beginning of year 2. I think this is more the issue here maybe?

On 7/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, gottawannit said:

I applied during my MPH and from my discussions with adcoms, it comes down to the following:

-most masters programs are 2 years: 1st year the prof or PI sinks a ton of money into you because you don't know anything and have to get brought up to speed. 2nd year is where they get their return - you're a valuable member and start cranking out publications for them. To leave after 1st year just leaves them high and dry. It's understandable that many schools are not offering the option to apply during your masters.

-HOwever, UofA don't really give a shoot. Nowhere on their application does it actual ask about masters status. You are correct about UofC - you have to get your supervisors approval in order to actually appy; I had no such requirement for UofA.

-As for actually completing your masters, that's another matter. UofA "treats everything on a case by case basis", but they aren't keen on defering for you to finish an MSc. In their eyes, how dare you waste their time applying if you aren't completely ready to give up everything and start right away. That's how my discussions with them went anyway

-Caveat:  I know a few people who only had a handful of courses + capstone left on their MPH and the faculty of medicine let them take them in addition to their regular coursework. So basically they take an extra class per term and bang out the masters on the side

My 2 cents: just apply and see what happens. We all know the biggest thing with med admissions (after having a decent gpa, etc) is getting your name in the hat as many times as possible. If you get in and theirs an issue, that's Future teapenguin's problem. ;)

Was your MPH course based? I am starting a 16 month course based MPH in September and not sure where I am actually eligible to apply before completing the degree. 

Archived