Premed 101 Forums

Including video games as a hobby?

SLC6A4

16 minutes ago, Meridian said:

I personally would not include it.  Reviewing ECs is a manual subjective activity by a pool is people.  You may hit a reviewer that views gaming as a waste of time and reject your application and you will never know.

I understand the sentiment behind this and there is merit to it, and I would be hesitant to include it even with esports beginning to be more recognized. Speaking specifically with respect to the UBC app (maybe applies to other schools), however, I can't see how it would harm your application, especially if you put it as one of the 12 entries in diversity of experience and not as a focus of your application.  It seems unlikely that an activity can deduct points from your application; worst case seems to be that the reviewer won't award any points for that entry.  With careful wording that can also exemplify some of your attributes through achieving your position in the game, it might be worth considering. Try carefully crafting an entry, and read it to yourself from a possibly less open-minded adcom - does this add any value to you as an applicant? I wouldn't count on it blowing any adcom minds though, unfortunately.

12 hours ago, SLC6A4 said:

I'm top 1% in a game I play alot, was wondering if it's worth mentioning. Just thought it might be unique.

1 hour ago, TARS said:

I understand the sentiment behind this and there is merit to it, and I would be hesitant to include it even with esports beginning to be more recognized. Speaking specifically with respect to the UBC app (maybe applies to other schools), however, I can't see how it would harm your application, especially if you put it as one of the 12 entries in diversity of experience and not as a focus of your application.  It seems unlikely that an activity can deduct points from your application; worst case seems to be that the reviewer won't award any points for that entry.  With careful wording that can also exemplify some of your attributes through achieving your position in the game, it might be worth considering. Try carefully crafting an entry, and read it to yourself from a possibly less open-minded adcom - does this add any value to you as an applicant? I wouldn't count on it blowing any adcom minds though, unfortunately.

Truth is gaming as an activity is still risky to put on an application... even with playing games well enough to earn some side money. Managing an esports team might be more favourable. 

- G 

This is a great question.

If your ECs are otherwise well rounded and show that you do a lot more with your time besides just gaming, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't include it. I could see how it might not look great if it's one of your only ECs, or maybe for some schools it could be a problem if they don't ask for anything like that. But if the application has space for diverse ECs and hobbies, then I don't think they're likely to penalize you for having gaming as one interest among many things. And if it's something you enjoy and helps explain who you are as a person or what your interests are, then I think this sort of activity can demonstrate that you are capable of working hard and having a 'real life' -- I.e. That you can balance academics, community service, etc. with being a normal person with hobbies. That's a really important quality in med school. 

I was accepted into UBC this year, and I used several of my diversity of experience slots for hobbies including playing dungeons and dragons on an extremely regular basis with what might be considered an embarrassing number of hours. Lots of people think DnD is a very nerdy waste of time. But I thought it showed that I have interests in something a bit unique, and that I am able to make time for fun and sillyness.

The question isn't should you include it. The question is what quantifiable skill does it demonstrate, and how has it helped shape you into the person you are.  Being good at something in itself (regardless of what it is) isn't worth putting on an application unless you can talk about how said activity has shaped you into a better person and how it will make you a good physician. If you are just putting it on for diversity and to fill spots, I would air on the side of leave it off.

25 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

This is a great question.

If your ECs are otherwise well rounded and show that you do a lot more with your time besides just gaming, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't include it. I could see how it might not look great if it's one of your only ECs. Maybe for some schools it could be a problem. But if the application has space for diverse ECs and hobbies, then I don't think they're likely to penalize you for having gaming as one interest among many things. And if it's something you enjoy and helps explain who you are as a person or what your interests are, then I think this sort of activity can demonstrate that you are capable of working hard and having a 'real life' -- I.e. That you can balance academics, community service, etc. with being a normal person with hobbies. That's a really important quality in med school. 

I was accepted into UBC this year, and I used several of my diversity of experience slots for hobbies including playing dungeons and dragons on an extremely regular basis with what might be considered an embarrassing number of hours. Lots of people think DnD is a very nerdy waste of time. But I thought it showed that I have interests in something a bit unique, and that I am able to make time for fun and sillyness.

Great point about showing your ability to balance your achievements and your own personal life.  I think sometimes we are all so caught up in trying to squeeze out as many CanMED competencies in every activity in our application, that we forget the value of showing that you have time and can make time for things outside of your medical pursuits. 

11 minutes ago, robclem21 said:

The question isn't should you include it. The question is what quantifiable skill does it demonstrate, and how has it helped shape you into the person you are.  Being good at something in itself (regardless of what it is) isn't worth putting on an application unless you can talk about how said activity has shaped you into a better person and how it will make you a good physician. If you are just putting it on for diversity and to fill spots, I would air on the side of leave it off.

This is a very good general rule for entries in the application, but between the 25+ available entries in the UBC app, if you've already demonstrated all your qualities in being a physician in your other entries, is there still additional value in adding an activity that again shows your leadership ability for the tenth time, or an activity that shows you can still manage your own hobbies and interests while juggling school and work? I do agree that a very large majority of your entries should show some quantifiable skill or qualifiable trait that'll shape you into a well-rounded physician though.  

However, if you do decide to put it in, I'd still very carefully craft the entry, as you're still at the mercy of subjective reviewing.

No. Don't. 

I gamed a lot (top diamond in Starcraft 2) and even I would not take it seriously if I had heard that in an interview. I think it would be better to have someone says that he is very good at drinking beer by a campfire than being a top gamer. Seriously, gaming is a very easy hobbie, you don't need to organize your time to do it, you don't have to sacrifice anything, you stay inside "alone", you don't gain much doing it, if anything. Talking about gaming as an important part of yourself will make you appear immature or childish. 

If you have nothing else to talk about, maybe it's time to leave your computer for your sake.

I think it also depends on the game. Team e-sports like DotA are very similar to other team sports in the skills you demonstrate (teamwork, communication, problem solving, leadership etc.) and those skills are crucial to have in a clinician.

On an unrelated note: Our career counsellors are always telling us to put hobbies on our CVs for Carms... Not sure if that's good advice but it would be contradictory to value it for residency and not entry to medical school.

Archived