Premed 101 Forums

Good MCAT, low CARS

I got a 517 on the MCAT: 131/126/130/130. Some people on **DELETED** are saying that a 126 in CARS doesn't meet the 'cutoff' for Queens and that one might need to retake with a low CARS like mine. Is this true? I really don't want to retake this test just to bring CARS up, which isn't even a certainty

As you will read on premed101, Queens does not publish any info on how they use MCAT scores for interview cutoffs.   Your overall score is excellent.  You can see some 126's in the 2017 interview invites (although not many).   If you have a high GPA to go along with it you should give Queens a shot.

The 126 CARS is a bit of a problem at other schools.  It does not meet Western Cut offs and is maybe a little low for MAC which only uses CARS (but not a barrier if you have a high GPA/Casper).

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 8:00 PM, somebowdy said:

I got a 517 on the MCAT: 131/126/130/130. Some people on **DELETED** are saying that a 126 in CARS doesn't meet the 'cutoff' for Queens and that one might need to retake with a low CARS like mine. Is this true? I really don't want to retake this test just to bring CARS up, which isn't even a certainty

we are practically MCAT twins - and i just wanted to say, I understand the pain of considering a rewrite because of 126 CARS. Good luck to you!

I too just upped my MCAT to a 518: 131/126/130/131 and I am pretty confident this is good enough for Queens. If you look at the forum stats from 2 years ago (the first year of new MCAT) the minimum score was a 125, last year there was no one with a 125, but a decent amount with a 126.

3 hours ago, masterofnone said:

not sure... but doesnt queen's have a sequential process with cut offs?

That's what I thought. I wasn't sure what the others were talking about. Historically, 3.8 and above has been enough to continue to the next step. My weighted is 3.82666666....I kinda shat myself when others said high GPA is needed (which in my mind is 3.9 and above).

On October 12, 2017 at 7:48 AM, masterofnone said:

not sure... but doesnt queen's have a sequential process with cut offs?

Yes they do. First is GPA (cGPA or wGPA, whichever is higher), then MCAT, then ABS(/LORs?). Once you pass the GPA cutoff, your GPA doesn't matter anymore, same as with MCAT. 

• 1 month later...

Archived