Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites 2018

Hey everyone, 

I saw that interview invites were sent out today, lets try and keep with old tradition and fill in the descriptor for your stats! 

Timestamp:

Interview: Yes or No
GPA: OMSAS 4.0 scale
Context: (What is your rural, remote or Northern Ontario connection?)
ECs: (Summation of your extracurricular activities)
Non-trad?:
# of previous applications:

Interview Location/Date/Time:

Timestamp: 9:46 AM

Interview: YES!!!!
GPA: 3.79 on OMSAS scale
Context: Lived in Thunder Bay all my life
ECs: No clinical experience/volunteering, just undergraduate research (a few posters, no publications), volunteering in clubs at my university, at my church, and with a local high school mentoring program, teaching assistant job
Non-trad?: Nope

This is my first time applying! I am so happy!

Timestamp: 9:42 AM EST

Interview: Yes 
GPA: 3.93
Context: No connection to Northern Ontario, born and raised in 17,000 person city (not sure if rural, it's not that small)
Non-trad?: no
# of previous applications: 1st time applying

Interview Location: Thunder Bay 

Timestamp: 9:57 AM 

GPA: 3.97

Context: Born and raised in a small town in Northern Ontario

ECs: regular volunteering, research experiences including a publication (2nd author) and poster presentations

non-trad: no

# of previous applications: 1st time applying

Interview location: Sudbury

Timestamp: 10:27 AM 

GPA: 4.0

Context: Born and raised in rural Canada - not Ontario 

ECs: Super varied. lots of volunteering, teaching, mentoring, extra-curriculars. Currently in 2nd undergrad degree. 

non-trad: yes

# of previous applications: 1

Interview location: Sudbury

Timestamp: 11:16

Interview: No
GPA: OMSAS 3.96 (including graduate bonus)
Context: lived in northern Quebec for 2 years during teenage years, 3000 population. Born and raised in a rural small community.
ECs: former research associate, former bioengineering consultant, several hundred hours of volunteering unrelated to health.
Non-trad?: Yes
# of previous applications: 0

Francophone.

I sincerely thought I had a good shot. I need to review my writing for essays! Best of luck.

Timestamp: 9:22 AM

GPA: OMSAS 3.91 
Context: Lived up north all my life, moved to Sudbury for my undergrad, francophone  
ECs: Long term volunteering, shadowing, various extracurriculars
Non-trad?: No 

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury

Good luck to everyone who got an interview! 

Timestamp: 0901

Interview: Yes! :D
GPA: 3.54
Context: Lived in a small, rural, semi-remote Northern Ontario town from birth until I started university 5 years ago, and have been living in Thunder Bay since.
ECs: Short and long term volunteering, various extracurriculars, clinical experience throughout university and now working as an RN.
# of previous applications: 1 - was waitlisted in last years admissions cycle.

Interview Location: Thunder Bay

Wishing all those who received offers to interview the best of luck! For those who did not, don't give up on your dreams! After going through the experience last cycle I learned a lot and am hoping that I can use what I've gained in the last year to get accepted to my dream medical school!

A little late but thought I should add to the thread!

Timestamp: 9:28am (Jan 10, 2018)

Interview: Yes!!
GPA: 3.91
Context: Lived in rural (but not Northern Ontario) town for most of my life
ECs: President roles in a couple of student organizations, research (presentations, conferences, pubs in the works), hospital volunteer, patient intake volunteer in medical clinic, mentorship roles, etc.
# of previous applications: Zero

Interview Location/Date/Time: Thunder Bay

Super excited to interview at NOSM and see the Thunder Bay campus!!

Timestamp: 8:54am (January 10th, 2018) 

Interview: Yes! 
GPA: 3.87 
Context: Indigenous. Born and raised in Northern Ontario. Moved to Central Ontario at age 18 for university. 
ECs: Rep hockey since age 9, peer tutoring and mentoring, 300+ hours of surgical observership, volunteer work with marginalized individuals, multiple hockey awards, tons of travel experience, various scholarships and awards, etc.  

Interview Location/Date/Time: Thunder Bay 

Timestamp: January 10, 9:40am

GPA: 3.93
Context: Lived for 5 years in Sudury, cities for most of remaining time. One of my parents lives in a small Labrador town (<10,000).
ECs: (Summation of your extracurricular activities): hospital, well-involved in student clubs, leading a small community youth program, did lots of research as part of co-op program (but no publications yet), currently doing Master's degree (in progress)
# of previous applications: First time applying

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury, March 24

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an interview in Sudbury this Sunday and I was wondering if there are some insiders who know an efficient/cheap way to transit from the airport to the city at around 9:30 PM? Would you recommend going with a specific hotel in the area, one that would offer shuttle from the airport maybe? Thanks and good luck to all of you with the interviews! :) 

Archived