Premed 101 Forums

Admissions Fairness? Leaked documents

I am a CBC investigative reporter who has been sent leaked documents that suggest potential unfairness in admissions process, where students with much lower academic scores are accepted to the NMP. I do not know if this is a story but I have what appeares to be last year's complete list of rankings.

It shows many exceptions were made, and one student with a GPA average of 70 got in, another with an MCAT conversion score of 62 got in, while ranked 505 of all 689 applicant interviewed.

If anyone believes I should pursue this as a news story for CBC TV please email me directly at Natalie.Clancy@cbc.ca

I will not publish anyone's name without their consent. I am loking for students willing to speak publicly.

I will posit that what you are saying is true:

Then you have private and confidential information concerning many individuals (including myself, as I was rejected last year) who did not consent to your having such information. I suppose that much is obvious.

I don't deny that some unfairness exists in the process, it can't be completely perfectly fair for everyone, but I think it is a shortcut to thinking to suggest that someone should not have got in because they did poorly in just one section of the admissions process. This is a specious pattern of thought. There are many relevant factors in the process and a holistic perspective is necessary.

I think you should destroy the documents and move on. I did not consent to you having access to my confidential information.

it was still possible in the past years to get in with a low 70s avg with an awesome NAQ. I remember reading some thread where the applicant had low 70s average but worked really hard with NAQ and was eventually interviewed and admitted?

Here is the stat for the past few years..http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2012/02/MED_2015.pdf

However, I think the new AQ calculation this year is the different from last year and everything just doubled? this year a 75avg+ 50/50 NAQ you still can't make the interview cut off....maybe last year it was just less competitive? not sure what the interview TFR score was last year...it's possible that the person with a 70 overall avg had great marks for his/her last 60 credits...

Also, i think as long as you meet the minimum requirement for MCAT then UBC is happy...

I am a CBC investigative reporter who has been sent leaked documents that suggest potential unfairness in admissions process, where students with much lower academic scores are accepted to the NMP. I do not know if this is a story but I have what appeares to be last year's complete list of rankings.

It shows many exceptions were made, and one student with a GPA average of 70 got in, another with an MCAT conversion score of 62 got in, while ranked 505 of all 689 applicant interviewed.

If anyone believes I should pursue this as a news story for CBC TV please email me directly at Natalie.Clancy@cbc.ca

I will not publish anyone's name without their consent. I am loking for students willing to speak publicly.

Well, Natalie Clancy. Look who we've got here. Isn't it this the CBC rumour-spreading "investigative reporter" that took PARTS of what the NMP students' words and twisted it into your "report". Let me tell you something, Natalie Clancy, if you're trying to make up s*** again you better think about who you're messing with. Don't you have morals? Can you even sleep well at night knowing what you have done to medical students who are inexperienced dealing with people like you? What the f*** are you trying to do again?

Now with whatever "leaked document" you have, nobody has given you any right to possess whatever confidential information you have. In other words, you or someone associated with you STOLE that information. So before somebody call the cops and take you to jail, you better pray to God for forgiveness. Go investigate in some real reports and get a life.

lol, this pathetic CBC thing again.... She should not be in this forum at all... :(

Our medical school does not need her.

I am confused - if the OP has these documents, and they are correct then what is left to research? Why wouldn't this already be released?

Assuming there is a bias and target audience is people who didn't get in and therefore are very likely to reapply (particularly since they are still on this board) I can only imagine there would be a lot of pressure NOT to go public. Other than adding a "human face" to things the story wouldn't change(?)

This is in SUCH poor taste, and just really, really tacky. Your previous feature on UBC Medical School completely distorted the students' words. I think somebody owes the med students who were interviewed an apology.

We should submit an article to cbc doing an investigative report into the falsehoods the op has portrayed in the past. I wonder what other things she has misrepresented and sensationalized.

Maybe I can become an award winning investigative journalist.

I have all summer. I am very proficient at research. Im sure there are some others on here who are good at research.

Welcome to the big leagues Clancy.

rmorelan, there were some controversy about her reporting style last year, so you better check it out.

Also, i agree having a "human face" wouldn't change much, it is my style. So why do you care? Is this what you guys not doing in UWO?

Flow UBC MD 2009

I am confused - if the OP has these documents, and they are correct then what is left to research? Why wouldn't this already be released?

Assuming there is a bias and target audience is people who didn't get in and therefore are very likely to reapply (particularly since they are still on this board) I can only imagine there would be a lot of pressure NOT to go public. Other than adding a "human face" to things the story wouldn't change(?)

rmorelan, there were some controversy about her reporting style last year, so you better check it out.

Also, having a "human face" wouldn't change much, but why do you care?

Flow UBC 2009

I don't care - that is actually my point :) The raw facts would interest me far more than any particular person they happen to bring up. I mean assuming any of this is true of course we all know the logical outcome (some people would not get in - one specific example they find wouldn't make that any more clearer to me).

Dear Natalie Clancy,

The medical school admissions process is complex. It involves both objective and subjective evaluations of student merits and is impacted by ethical questions that are not easily answered. Some individuals like myself resent how your articles fail to appreciate this complexity. It seems your simplified understanding of the admissions process leads you to make presumptive judgements on the ethical integrity underlying the decisions carried out by the admissions faculty. I suggest that if you wish to be taken seriously by medical students such as myself you ought to research the admissions process to greater depths.

Here are some suggestions:

1) Interview more individuals from multiple positions: Medical Students, parents of med-hopefuls, faculty, individuals in areas of physician shortages.

2) Compare the UBC's admission process to that of other Canadian medical schools.

3) Spend a few years trying to gain acceptance into medical school. Personally, I wouldn't pay much heed to someone who hasn't experienced the process. Sorry, but this is a reality.

Dear Natalie Clancy,

The medical school admissions process is complex. It involves both objective and subjective evaluations of student merits and is impacted by ethical questions that are not easily answered. Some individuals like myself resent how your articles fail to appreciate this complexity. It seems your simplified understanding of the admissions process leads you to make presumptive judgements on the ethical integrity underlying the decisions carried out by the admissions faculty. I suggest that if you wish to be taken seriously by medical students such as myself you ought to research the admissions process to greater depths.

Here are some suggestions:

1) Interview more individuals from multiple positions: Medical Students, parents of med-hopefuls, faculty, individuals in areas of physician shortages.

2) Compare the UBC's admission process to that of other Canadian medical schools.

3) Spend a few years trying to gain acceptance into medical school. Personally, I wouldn't pay much heed to someone who hasn't experienced the process. Sorry, but this is a reality.

She will get rejected pre-interview regardless of her grades and ECs, no school will accept someone who was tarnishing their image.

Archived