Premed 101 Forums

I Know Shadowing/letters Of Reference Is Important In The Us, But What About Canada?

Let me just preface with some stats about myself -- just finished 2nd year, 3.91 GPA, editor at a undergrad research journal. I'm starting to look towards dental instead of medicine, so I'm behind the curve right now. I was doing some researching, and it seems like USA places a heavy emphasis on shadowing (and possibly letters of reference?) I know people who say that 100 hours is the minimum for shadowing required and that seems pretty insane to me. And then letters of reference, where some places require a reference letter from an established dentist.  

Now, I'm not sure if this applies to Canada. I'm only looking for U of A next year to apply (writing my DAT in november, and U of A is one of the few schools that considers undergrads). As far as I know -- there is no strict criteria for job shadowing AND letters of reference are not required. Am I correct? I've been sending out emails for job shadowing recently and I've been having the worst luck with them and it'll be tough for me to do a lot of hours. Most of the dentists I've talked to gave me a range of a few hours to two days -- none enough to give me 100+ hours.  

So yeah, I mean it seems like neither shadowing not letters of reference are very important to when you're trying to get accepted. I just want to know how to best prioritize work so I give myself the best shot at applying next year (for example, I still haven't done ochem yet since lots of med schools no longer have prereqs and I'll need to do ochem next year for sure which sucks for my GPA). Should I still keep going for job shadowing or should I focus more on getting a great DAT score? And what about letters of reference?

Vast majority of English schools in Canada is GPA + DAT + Interview. Of those 3, GPA and Interview are probably most important. McGill used to require LORs but they removed that requirement recently. I personally don't think shadowing will help you directly in terms of getting in but of course it is useful for other reasons.

Archived