Premed 101 Forums

mcat mins

Guest coco

Are the MCATs used as a flag like U of T ie. once you meet the minimum requirement, they don't factor in the MCAT ever again?

Thanks

Guest kosmo14

princejr13 is correct, MCAT is just a flag and not used once the minimums are met. The mins set for next year are:( I took this right out of the admissions information page from the UofS)

"The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). All applicants are required to write the MCAT prior to the application deadline. The MCAT is offered twice a year, April and August. A minimal score of 8 will be required in the sciences and verbal reasoning sections, and N in writing skills; however, one 7 will be accepted. Scores must be available by the application deadline. The best MCAT scores obtained at any one sitting in the last five years will be used. (Earliest acceptable scores to apply for admission in 2003, will be April 1998.) "

Nice!

Now here's the problem, I'm missing one of the required courses.....If I took that course via correspondence, and on TOP of my 5 full year courses, will that course count in the overall two-year average? (I have finished 2 years and will be going into my third year...I believe U of S will not look at my 3rd year anyway)

Ok let me rephrase that better :) When they calculate your two year average, both those years must have a FULL course load (5 courses in my uni)...but what if you took an extra course during the academic year (say 6 courses); would that 6th course be incorporated into your average?

Thanks

Guest kosmo14

I am not too sure on that one. I know if you take the course during intersession/summer session it is not counted toward your two year average, but if you take an extra one during the year I am not too sure. You would be best advised to email: med.admissions@usask.ca for advice on that. The ladies in the admissions office are great and will get back to you fairly quickly.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

I have a couple of Sask-specific application questions on which I'm hoping you guys can provide some enlightenment:

a) For the two-year undergrad GPA calculation, are 5.0 courses absolutely required in each of the two years? The reason I ask, during my entire undergrad career, I simultaneously maintained a full-time career thus, was able to take only 4 or 4.5 courses per year (due to the paucity of evening courses). I'm wondering if this situation would pass USask's requirements?

B) USask requires one credit in the social sciences/humanities. Does anyone have any idea as to which subjects fall within their definition of these areas? I understand that psych and soc courses would, but I have neither on my transcripts.

Cheers for the ears,

Kirsteen

Guest kosmo14

It depends on your whether you are and OOP or an in province applicant. For out of province residents there are no exceptions to the academic requirements. For in province residents there are up to 2 special cases that they may consider.

Humanities: English, French, German, History, Philosophy, Religious studies, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian

Social Sciences: Anthropology, Archeology, Business Economics, Economics, Geography(human), Native Studies, Political Studies, Psych, Sociology.

I hope this helps.

Guest princejr13

Kirsteen,

The full course load requirement is pretty strict I think. In addition, the OOP applicants must have ALREADY completed 2 full years when they apply. In-prov applicants can apply DURING their second full year. You should still e-mail the admissions office and confirm that they will or will not consider "special case applicants" from OOP.

• 1 month later...
Guest me maniac

Kristeen,

Wondering if you have heard anything about your email request about the 5.0 course minimum for OOP. Like you, I also worked while attending school, as well as raising a family. I only took 4 courses per semester. Does that mean I can't get in at U of Sask?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there me maniac,

That's essentially what they told me--no 5.0 course years, no possibility of being considered. I suppose it's difficult, doesn't dovetail with their admission objectives, or is too much effort for some schools to try to assess whether or not an ultra-busy schedule on top of academics is equivalent to successfully completing 5.0 courses in a year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest me maniac

I was hoping I might have a shot at it (although, looking at at 34/168 OOP interview rate, I guess the chances were slim to begin with, huh?).

Out of curiosity, where else are you applying? I saw you on this forum earlier this year (ie last cycle of apps). If I remember correctly, you are from Ontario, doing a Masters, right? How has that been treating you?

Me

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there me maniac,

If you have the two full years and your grades are up to par then U. Sask. is definitely worth a shot, but if not, why not apply to some other schools this year?

I've applied to, or am in the process of applying to: UBC, Calgary, Alberta, Manitoba, Ottawa, UofT and Queen's. C'est tout. As to the M.Sc., it's flying by. For our degree, on top of a thesis we have to complete 8 courses, thus far, all of which are extremely interesting and hugely relevant to the work we're doing. So overall, it's intense but cool.

How about you? Are you in school at the moment? In Saskatchewan?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest princejr13

Kirsteen,

I'm wondering why don't you also apply to Western as well? As far as I know Western doesn't require you to submit any biographical sketces, so it would be very easy to apply there. Just take a shot at it, ya never know!

I've read alot of your posts on this board and you certainly deserve to get in ....

Good Luck!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there princejr13,

Cheers for the boost. I would love to apply to UWO as I hear many great things about the school from lots of happy UWO meds students. Unfortunately, although I do have two, 5.0 credit years from my MBA, I don't have too many undergrad 5.0 credit years to call upon, and grad years don't count at UWO. While working within my previous career, I normally completed ~4 to 4.5 undergrad courses per year, at most, and that perpetually falls short for UWO.

My academic experience does not lend itself well to UWO's selection system, but it does fit other schools' quite nicely and that's the positive side to being in a land with a diverse array of medical school agendae and systems.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived