Premed 101 Forums

Very non-trad. Looking for opinions.

Hello all,

I am a male nursing student through the arctic program  (Dalhousie and arctic college) situated in Nunavut. I have been living here for two years and am set to be an RN and work in rural Nunavut for a year or two before applying to medical school. 

I am looking for advice and whatnot on how to go about this. I am currently 21 and actually did begin a science degree in biochemistry in Ottawa before falling depressed and deciding to study nursing in Nunavut to escape everything.  My grades from the year of biochem are all C's ish, but those grades were circumstantial. My grades all throughout the nursing program have been A's or A+'s, nothing lower.

I have compiled very unique experiences and have been given a ton of responsibility. I want to get my MD and return to Nunavut to practice, at least 50% of the time. I have worked with some of the most marginalized populations in Canada and want to make a difference.

I do not even know where to start...

Help?

Thanks all

It looks like you're grades don't seem to be a problem, the best approach would be to call other Canadian medschools to see which ones your nursing degree would qualify for and if you hit their course load requirements. I wouldn't worry too much about prerequisites, many schools don't need them (western,queen, Mac,). But MCAT may be required. Overall, I'd see where your RN degree makes you eligible to apply, and go from there.

58 minutes ago, freewheeler said:

If you can get in-province status for uCalgary then that would be a good option. They are generally much more non-trad friendly and would love a candidate with your experience. 

Look into their application requirements.

On this point, if you want to continue living and working in the north, you'll have in-province status for several schools. Students living in Nunavat, the Yukon, and NWT are all considered in-province applicants at uCalgary,  as well as UBC and the UofA (and possibly other schools, but I am not familiar with their residency requirements). In addition to uCalgary, UBC seems to be increasingly non-trad friendly: they dropped the science prerequisites a couple years ago, and put 50% weight on non-academics in pre-interview scoring. 

On 11/5/2018 at 8:41 PM, RN2HOPEFULLYMD said:

Thank you very much. Are nursing degrees looked down upon?

Definitely not. Nursing isn’t a traditional premed but schools don’t care. You might get asked in a panel interview about why the switch. Nursing gives great patient/clinical experience and most importantly the soft skills that schools are looking for. Should really help with essays and interviews.

4 hours ago, Rahvin13 said:

Definitely not. Nursing isn’t a traditional premed but schools don’t care. You might get asked in a panel interview about why the switch. Nursing gives great patient/clinical experience and most importantly the soft skills that schools are looking for. Should really help with essays and interviews.

Thank you for your insight.

Archived