Premed 101 Forums

Good stats, average EC's. Do I have a good chance at top US schools?

Slickrick

Hi everyone,

After going through 2 cycles unsuccessfully in Canada and realizing that I would be putting myself at an unnecessary disadvantage by going international, I think it may be time to consider the States for next cycle. Based on the stats I list below, will I have a chance at good schools? Will mid tiers screen me out because of my stats?

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 521 with 127 cars. I wrote this twice, scored 515 first time.

EC'S: 

220 hours (hopefully will get this up to 300 by the time I apply) at a hospital day center for elderly with dementia (I think this counts as hospital volunteering?)

1000 hours first responder

150 hours non clinical taking care of kids from developing countries

Only 6 hours shadowing, going to try to aim for 50 before primary is due

300 hours/3 years research with a third author pub and an acknowledgment. 

2 small club committee roles

Hopefully some kind of good clinical experience that I will start before the application is due and list expected hours. I'll be seeking a gap year job as well but I guess that will be included in updated and not the primary.

Almost no employment except for camp and guitar teaching.

Small scholarships based on uni marks 

Small things like 10 hours foodbank and fundraising that probably isn't even worth listing.

I dont know how i'll pay for this so I really want to get into a top school like Yale for this to be worth it for me over Canada. I would be extremely happy though with a school like AECOM or SUNY. I'm just sort of sick of getting rejected in Canada and to be honest it has taken a toll on my mental state.

Do I have a decent shot assuming i write a good personal statement?

10 minutes ago, ricktheshambler said:

Your stats look great. Not sure why you haven't had success after 2 tries in Canada. I definitely think it's worth a shot for you to try the states!

Thanks for the feedback. I think it has been a combination of my Cars score, bad Casper performances, no IP bias in Ontario and just plain bad luck that has held me back in Canada. I haven't even gotten an interview in 2 cycles which really makes me sad. Still waiting on U of T though. Obviously I'll still be applying in Canada as well as the States next cycle. 

With the right personal statement/story and finishing your US apps on time, you will definitely get some interviews. The top schools are always a reach, just be ready for LOTS of reference letter requests. Faculty, PIs, non-science faculty, personal, physicians. Having a good school list is key - so invest in MSAR to only apply to schools that took Canadians. I think you can give US a real shot, and even get some decent aid/scholarships along the way. The lack of research/shadowing may hurt so focus on that during your gap year for sure! 

13 minutes ago, dehindu said:

With the right personal statement/story and finishing your US apps on time, you will definitely get some interviews. The top schools are always a reach, just be ready for LOTS of reference letter requests. Faculty, PIs, non-science faculty, personal, physicians. Having a good school list is key - so invest in MSAR to only apply to schools that took Canadians. I think you can give US a real shot, and even get some decent aid/scholarships along the way. The lack of research/shadowing may hurt so focus on that during your gap year for sure! 

That seems like alot of letters. I thought most schools were 2 science and maybe 1 science plus a personal. Do some schools specifically request PI's?

11 minutes ago, Slickrick said:

That seems like alot of letters. I thought most schools were 2 science and maybe 1 science plus a personal. Do some schools specifically request PI's?

What I found was helpful was getting a letter from basically anyone who I felt could give me a good one, and then based on individual school's requirements I sent my strongest combination. For example, one of my best was a personal letter but schools that say professors only didn't receive it. Other schools that let you send more than required they all got that personal one. You can request letters and not send them to every school (or any school) but have them ready so you're not requesting into the cycle. 

4 hours ago, Slickrick said:

No idea haha. Probably a mix of loans, grants/scholarships and some help from family

Dont bother applying and wasting your time and money on applications, if you dont first have funding sorted out.

Very, very few people get scholarships to USMD/DO schools. So dont go in counting on them. 

Figure out the finances first and foremost, do the math of what govt loans youll be able to get, what bank Line of credits youll be able to get, and what family support you have.

THIS IS CRITICAL.

For non-academics, I can see why you didn't get interviews at Canadian schools that focus on them, you're pretty below average on that front.  That said your 127 obviously kept you from applying to MANY canadian schools, which is unfortunate since a 521 overall is an extremely impressive score. 

Filtered out for Alberta, Calgary, Western, handicapped for McMaster,  non-academics weak for UBC.  

You would've had sakatchewan this year. Manitoba could've been possible as well. I don't think you'd get top US schools with these ECs. Typically people who do well in the states, also get invites from extracurricular heavy schools in Canada. 

1 hour ago, DNM said:

You would've had sakatchewan this year. Manitoba could've been possible as well. I don't think you'd get top US schools with these ECs. Typically people who do well in the states, also get invites from extracurricular heavy schools in Canada. 

Not necessarily true, you can get US interviews(maybe not the Elites) and not have gotten interviews at EC heavy Canadian schools.  Some of the average EC canadians with 4.0 515+ can get interviews in the US, but miss the cutoff for Calgary and UBC.  Especially OOPs applicants. OOP to Calgary and UBC have to be extremely stellar to interview, so those who dont interview, can still have very strong apps that would secure them US interviews. 

That said, OP is not going to be one of them that gets top tier US interviews. They can still get US interviews though, just not harvard or the likes. 

19 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Not necessarily true, you can get US interviews(maybe not the Elites) and not have gotten interviews at EC heavy Canadian schools.  Some of the average EC canadians with 4.0 515+ can get interviews in the US, but miss the cutoff for Calgary and UBC.  Especially OOPs applicants. OOP to Calgary and UBC have to be extremely stellar to interview, so those who dont interview, can still have very strong apps that would secure them US interviews. 

That said, OP is not going to be one of them that gets top tier US interviews. They can still get US interviews though, just not harvard or the likes. 

What would you say I'm missing that will limit me from the top tier? More research? Clinical? Or do I just need something that really just stands out?

21 hours ago, DNM said:

What area would you say my ECs are lacking in?

Archived