Premed 101 Forums

McMaster or Ottawa? Got off the waitlist for both

Need to make a decision ASAP. I've heard negative things about McMaster. Not sure what to do. I live in Toronto, so being close to it would be nice.

UPDATE: Thanks for all your responses guys. After consulting the forums, several medical students, and a doctor, I've chosen Ottawa. The comments listed here that were pivotal in my decision are tremendously helpful. I'm sure other individuals in the future can and will benefit from this information.

I have the same decision to make as you and I will be choosing Ottawa. I didn't get into the Hamilton campus, which is a factor. 

I'm from Ottawa and work at the medicine campus, so if you have any questions about what I love about the city, please feel free to PM me. 

I also want a competitive residency (surg gunner), which makes me favour a 4 year program versus a 3 year program. I got a better overall vibe from Mac, and the way the students talked about the program (not a lot of evaluations, pretty much all CBL) really made me want to pick Mac because I feel like CBL is my preferred way to learn. But Ottawa does CBL as well (just once a week?) and has half-days which is sweeet. I also really like having my summers to travel, and you don't get that at Mac. What I've heard is that Mac is great if you know what you want and you're very self-driven and disciplined.  

City-wise, Ottawa wins by far on being a big city with tertiary care centres (The Royal, CHEO, etc). But Mac is close to Toronto, which didn't really matter a lot to me (it's, uh, close to my tattoo artist, and that's about it), but I can see why it would be for you. 

4 hours ago, throwaway124 said:

Need to make a decision ASAP. I've heard negative things about McMaster. Not sure what to do. I live in Toronto, so being close to it would be nice.

The main benefit of being close to Toronto is being able to visit family and friends once every 2 weeks or so and for the odd person shadow in a Toronto hospital which may help you build connections. It works for emerg potentially. 

No matter what decision you make, you'll be fine, don't worry too too much about it. Just pick what feels right for you, a decision you are least likely to regret. 

Look, mac is awesome and provides plenty of opportunities for success. I've mentioned previously about how good the match has been lately. In my year alone, we matched all our neurosurgery, ENT, dermatology gunners, and we've done well in ophtho for a few years. It gives u tons of flexibility and lots of time. If you need structured resources to learn...you'll have to get them yourself. The truth is the best structured resources usually isn't what your school gives you, even if it's a traditional lecture based school.

That being said, I would have preferred to live in Ottawa. Huge QOL difference (not that Hamilton was bad, but Ottawa I'd a hidden gem of a city). I highly valued being done in 3 years, but now I'm starting to think I might have traded that 4th year for the QOL bump.

Don't worry too much about the curriculum or the match success (within reason). Pick based on where you want to be + if your really attracted to a very specific strength of that school.

In the end, you're going to be more than happy and okay with either choice. It's hard, but try not to stress too much.

Truth be told, out of all the schools in southern Ontario though, Ottawa is the one without a reputation of producing competitive specialty and academic "gunners", they have the highest percentage going into family medicine each year, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I would definitely give Ottawa the edge in terms of QoL unless QoL for you involves being able to visit family and toronto friends every 2 weeks. There genuinely isn't much interesting going on in Hamilton and as a city itself, it has a downtrodden sort of vibe, like it has seen better days. People have been talking about renewal for 10 years, but all I really have seen is a trickle down from Toronto. 

Mac has plenty of flaws as I have mentioned previously but I will not deny that McMaster will produce a lot of chill non competitive specialty people but it will also set you up for big academic success if you are a self-starter. Those 'academic superstars' if you will can thrive at Mac if they are self driven, determined and chase down the opportunities because Mac is probably one of the best clinical research hubs in Canada especially for medical students and it really gives you the time and thus the ability to do whatever you want. 

I did my undergrad at U of Ottawa and it was a great city to be a student in at the time. Being at Mac now I have to agree the city isn't as nice, but there definitely isn't "nothing to do", I'm never left with no options for my weekends, at least based on my personal interests. And of course Toronto is right nearby. 4 years vs 3 years is a matter of personal preference. 3 years is definitely a bit of a marathon, but I also don't think I could stomach a big long summer break at this point (I'm a non-trad "older" student), I'm too impatient to finish and I know what I want to specialize in mostly. If you want lots of time to decide your specialty go to Ottawa. If you're okay with handling some uncertainty and figuring it out on the fly or know pretty well in advance then 3 years should work just fine. I personally also love the cost savings involved with a 3 year program, given the amount of debt I entered med school with. Hope you make a decision that works well for you!