Premed 101 Forums

Western Requirments Clarification

Forgive me, as I am sure this has been asked a trillion times,  but I am just looking for some clarification.  The following is stated on UWO's website:

"It is acceptable to attend university on a part-time basis and still be considered for admission to the MD Program. However, given the rigorous nature of medical education, we require that two years be spent in full-time study (September to April) in which each year contains the minimum of five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours), with at least three full course equivalents (18 credit hours) whose published academic level is at or above the year of study:

• Year 1: three of five full course equivalents at or above the first-year level
  • Year 2: three of five full course equivalents at or above the second-year level
  • Year 3, 4 and additional undergraduate years: three of five full course equivalents at or above the third-year level."

I am currently a U of A student entering my fourth year.  If I am taking 10 courses during my fourth year as a full time student (5 per semester), does this mean that as long as 6/10 of my courses are 300 or 400 level (3rd of 4th year courses), I will be fine?  I was previously under the impression that for the fourth year, I had to make sure 6/10 of my courses were at the 400 level, not the 300 or 400 level.  I am currently registered to take four 300 lvl and 2 400 lvl courses for my final year- should this be alright?

Thank you everyone :)

Update: Answered my own question with the FAQ :lol: Everyone disregard this post :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Heart2HardWork said:

I actually was wondering this same thing!! I was under the impression that it had to be 400 as well. Did they recently change it to 300/400? I could have just been making this up but feeling more suspicious now that you've asked the same question haha

Nope, it's been that way for a while, I think the only exception in when doing the special 5th year things change a bit