Premed 101 Forums

Medical School in Europe from Canada

Hey, I have been looking to move to Europe from Canada to finish my medical school and am looking for advice. I know that the system there is different, and they don't have an undergrad, basically just 2 years science, and the next 4 years is more and more medicine.

I am currently in the first year of my Bio undergrad in Canada, and would want to transfer after my second year, and equivalate my first two years for the first two science years they have. I am not sure if this is possible, and have tried looking but haven't found anything related. Would anyone know about this or direct me to where I could find out?

Thanks a lot!

PS, I have european citizenship, so I would be paying the european, and not international student fee.

I am also fluent in French, English and Spanish.

I know several people who did their medschool in Europe (espc UK and Ireland). Before you decide to go, keep in mind the following: 

1) What is your intention for going there? Do you think you stand little chance of getting into a medschool in Canada? You just started your undergrad. While it is tough to get into a Canadian medschool, its not impossible. Getting into a school in Canada almost gurantees you a spot for residency, and gives you a very good chance that you will get the speciality/location of your choice. Lastly, given the fact that you are fluent in French, you might be able to even apply to a French medschool in Canada, which opens even more doors for you.

2) Being EU does give you some advantages.  It's true you might get cheaper tuition. But at some places/schools, you might be considered an international student. This is a problem because once you graduate, and want to do your post-grad training, the spots will be reserved for domestic students from that EU country. Furthermore, the post-grad training in most European countries following MBBS is extremely competitive when it comes to subspecialities (I would argue even more so than Canada). Most students end up being GPs. Bottom line is: are you ok with practicing in an European country? And are you willing to take the risks that come with it? 

3) In general, you most likely cannot transfer your credits from your first year. You are in a BSc program, they are in MBBS. The course curriculums are different. However, this does depend on the school; some are more flexible than others. You would have to call them, and make sure that courses are transferable. European schools are typically 5-6 year programs for direct-entry students from highschool. Grad entry (those who hold BSc's) are 4 years.

4) Coming back to Canada or US after medschool in Europe is extremely difficult. And it may not be into a speciality of your choice. There are examples of people going against the odds, but take that with a grain of salt. If you do go abroad and want to come back, you will have to write a ton of board exams + possibly MMI/Casper/other potential exams (depending on where you want to practics). Usually these can be written just ONCE. Fail them and you are literally screwed. If you go abroad, you have to accept that you have to work much much harder than a Canadian medstudent would to get into a residency program. You would go with a tremendous amount of risk.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, myspaceguy said:

Hey, I have been looking to move to Europe from Canada to finish my medical school and am looking for advice. I know that the system there is different, and they don't have an undergrad, basically just 2 years science, and the next 4 years is more and more medicine.

I am currently in the first year of my Bio undergrad in Canada, and would want to transfer after my second year, and equivalate my first two years for the first two science years they have. I am not sure if this is possible, and have tried looking but haven't found anything related. Would anyone know about this or direct me to where I could find out?

Thanks a lot!

PS, I have european citizenship, so I would be paying the european, and not international student fee.

I am also fluent in French, English and Spanish.

Only go if you know theres not a chance in hell you will get into medical school in Canada/US Allo. Or if you absolutely know you will never want to work in Canada. 

You have to tell us which school this is or at least the country this is for anyone to help you.  Europe isn't a school, its a continent with 700 million people ya know. 

The other thing is, are you even sure you will be paying the european fee? A lot of countries have wisened up to this act and only allow you to pay european fees if you lived in europe for a number of years before entering there.