Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2010

Guest QMD2010

Guest jaegwon

I take it that means your staying in the house for another year?

Yah I'll be sure to hang out with you guys; you're fun people (even without Kirk :lol ).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest turtle

Does anyone (BCSarah?) know when orientation begins? I'd like to be moved in & organized before things get rolling & I'm trying to figure out whether to get an apartment for Aug 1 or if I can wait 'till Sept 1...

Thanks!

turtle

Guest jaegwon

The September 5 entry on the academic schedule under important dates (on the website under curriculum) is "Orientation program for first medical year".

Looks like you could wait until September...

Guest ryanmahaffey

Congrats on getting into Med School and I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the fall. Ok... so I'm sure you guys have tons of questions about where to live and what Kingston is like. I'm the current Meds House President and I want to tell you a bit about the house.

To open with: Meds House is the BEST housing deal in Kingston - period. Meds House is not residence, it is not-for-profit student medical housing with rooms for 15 students. The house is a 19th century Victorian mansion overlooking Lake Ontario and Kingston Yacht Club.

The house is under a 90 second walk to campus and only a 1 minute walk from Kingston General Hospital. We are so close to campus that doctors often rent parking spots at the house as it is closer than some of the parking lots on campus!!!!

Secondly, the house is cheap - especially considering the location. With rent between 495/month for a double and 600 for a single (including 10 meals a week, utilities, TV, and all general house expenses). This is VERY cheap by any standards. I have many friends in Kingston paying 650/month in rent, but by the time they add on utilities, heat, TV, internet, cleaning supplies etc., they are well over 850/month and that doesn't include the 10 meals a week. The other great deal about meds house is that summer rent is only 250/month, so when you aren't here in the summer you aren't paying big bucks for an empty apartment. I easily save $4500.00 a year living at Meds House! How can Meds House be so cheap? Well it is not for profit housing. What we charge in rent is just enough to keep the house going and is not meant to be making money for the landlord. Meds House also has a number of very successful fundraising events that help to pay the bills.

But perhaps the greatest thing about Meds House is the social side. I've met some of my best friends in Meds House, and have learned a great deal about medicine, residency, what to study for exams, and CARMS from the upper year students. Included in your rent are the meds house social fees, which include multiple 'all you can eat, all you can drink' formal parties, TGIF bbq's, fooze ball tournaments and many other great events. The house is huge, so even when there are social events going on in the living room you can still easily study in your room!

If anyone has any questions about meds house feel free to contact myself or any of the other house members (see names and numbers below). We still have some great rooms available! If you are interested in some pics of the house check out:

www.kodakgallery.com/Slid...nn_speed=1

Cheers and congrats on getting into Queen's,

Ryan

Rob: 613.483.6230

Katie: 613.539.7543

Guest FlamingSheep

I'm going to be part of the Class of '10 (oh-ten? both sound pretty silly, methinks). I did my undergrad at Queen's; anyone else in that boat?

Also, has anyone received anything from Queen's yet after they accepted? I sent in my acceptance almost a month ago, and although I got an email receipt of my deposit, I haven't gotten any information about the medical school/orientation week/etc via snail mail.

Can't wait to meet the whole class of '10/oh-ten!

Guest QMD2010

How come Queen's only has "O-Day" unlike other med schools that have "O-Week"?

Is it true that Queen's has a White Coat ceremony in the middle of 3rd year?

Guest FlamingSheep

Ha. The thought crossed my mind.

Oh well, I'm sure the first week of classes will be at a medium pace to ease us in, right?

Guest BCSarah

Oh don't worry '10ers, orientation will be plenty for you! It STARTS on that day and doesn't let up. In fact, the first day, you are simply eased into the week. I can't tell you details but I can tell you this - if, like us, you end up having your first anatomy lab (read:cadavre) experience on Thursday morning... spending 3 hours breathing formaldehyde at 9 am.. you won't be begging for more orientation! :x

And trust me on this too - it was a heck of a fun week - and we will strive to do an even BETTER job for you guys!

Enjoy your summers and practice running around like goons.

Sarah

Guest silverbirdie

I'm getting so excited just looking at the first month's schedule.

What's information literacy? That shows up a lot....

Guest flying kumquat

Information literacy is about learning how to use Medline, forming useful research questions, using the medical resources in the library correctly, etc. Depending on your level of exposure to research and literature searches, you may or may not find it useful. For a number of non-class activities, you're split up into groups, so the schedule isn't quite as jammed packed as it might look at first glance: 2 groups for anatomy, neuroanatomy and histology labs, 4 groups for info lit.

Guest physiology06

Just wanted to drop a note to say that I'm super excited to be meeting all you excellent people going to Queen's next year. I was on a deferral to do 4th year of my undergrad, but trust me, the excitement doesn't wear off!

A special shout out to those folks from Vancouver - if anyone is interested, I'd be up for a get-together before we head off to K-town. With all those Sens, Canadiens, and Leafs fans lurking the streets of Kingston, we Vancouverites need to figure out a strategy to stick up for our beloved Canucks :)

See all of you soon!

Guest brownie99

AHHH Im so excited to meet you all! (got my acceptance on Friday). I'm confused about the whole Meds House thing, for pple who aren't living there I mean. Why would pple join? What are the benefits? Anyways, I'm a former Queen's undergrad, and I'm actually in K-town right now, so if anyone has any questions about the town, I've been here off and on since 1998 so I'd be happy to help. Looking forward to meeting you all Sept 5!!! (im soooo excited!!!) :) :) :)

Guest little endian

Hi Brownie,

You can join meds house if you don't live there for a few reasons. I'm not a member but I know that you can join to get a hot lunch every day and to be invited to their private parties. There are other priveledges too, I just don't know what they are. Take a look at the other posts about meds house for more info from those who are members.

Guest amivore

Medical House is something unique :D . Founded in 1933, it is one of the oldest institutions associated with the Queen’s School of Medicine, and is truly one of a kind compared to other medical schools. Membership is available to all Queen’s Medical Students who want to meet upper years and have fun with new friends. There are many benefits to joining as an out-of-house member:

- You can be a full member who receives lunch Monday to Friday made by a professional cook, including soup, salad, hot entrée, and dessert, which is super convenient being a stone’s throw away from class - not to mention the random fooz ball tournaments that seem to break out at lunch :P .

- Another option is to join as a social Meds House member, which includes the Holiday parties and formals we have during the year (full meal plan members get this as well). Meds House hosts several parties during the year for the entire Medical School (known campus wide as some of the best parties at Queen’s), to try to give back to the student body, in addition to the Meds House member parties thrown to welcome back alumni and acknowledge the hard work of the members, all through all-included extravaganzas :hat

The main benefit of joining Meds House is the chance to meet a variety of upper year students who are usually a wealth of information when it comes to exam time or even elective and clerkship advice. You’ll also meet tons of Meds House alumni (who remain proud of their tradition, and often return to participate in social events), including the current Dean of Medicine as well as the Head of Urology, not to mention the alumni that can be found in all fields of medicine worldwide.

I’ve met some awesome friends through Meds House, and the advice from upper years has been priceless (as well as stress relief through reassurance :b ) Everyone will have a chance to see more of the house during O-week, as well as a chance to sample the food during the first couple weeks of school.

See you in September!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brownie99

So - is anyone else frantically checking their mailbox with barely suppressed excitement for the orientation package?? Or am I the only one? I guess I'm used to being the only uber-geek, it's going to be weird to have a whole class of us all together! I'm so very very excited - for the first time in my life I can't wait for the summer to end and school to start! :D Looking forward to meeting you all, and if any of you are in K-town, let me know and we'll get together! (wow I think pretty much every sentence I just wrote had either a question mark or an exclamation point. crazy.)

Guest UofOBPS

Hey Brownie!

Congrats on the acceptance! Hehe, I must admit I checked my mailbox this afternoon just in case it had arrived :) I'll be in Kingston on Friday actually, trying to find a place to live... If you're free in the afternoon and want to meet up, you can send me an email at bchoo_ca@yahoo.com.

Guest shadowguitar

If you can afford to buy, then buy!!

I regret not having bought a place. Renting is such a HUGE waste of money. You are better off investing your money in your own property than putting money in the pocket of some greedy landlord.

I would warn against buying. Not saying it's a bad idea, but remember that for 4 years of school, you are likely only paying off interest, so you would have to sell for a tidy profit to come out even consider the expenses of owning and then selling a home. If you are planning on staying in Kingston after med school, great. But otherwise, if the market goes down (which in my opinion, its due), it could be a risky investment. Nonetheless, it's an appealling option that I consider and discussed with MD management, but ultimately, I didn't want to deal with the hassel and risk of a mortgage. Either way, goodluck

Archived