Premed 101 Forums

Cardiology/Cardiac Surgery Opportunities at Affiliate Campuses (Niagara/Waterloo)

Hi all!

I'm trying to determine how to rank the affiliate campuses and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the ease and types of cardiology and/or cardiac surgery opportunities available at the Niagara and Waterloo campuses. I have some previous experience in these fields and so I want to focus on those, atleast at the beginning, if I'm lucky enough to be accepted this application cycle.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 5:52 PM, MDWoman said:

Hi all!

I'm trying to determine how to rank the affiliate campuses and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the ease and types of cardiology and/or cardiac surgery opportunities available at the Niagara and Waterloo campuses. I have some previous experience in these fields and so I want to focus on those, atleast at the beginning, if I'm lucky enough to be accepted this application cycle.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

There is cardiology at both campuses, but in terms of advanced cardiology/cv surgery there is cath lab in Niagara but no cardiac surgery. Waterloo has both cath lab and community cardiac surgery. I would say though that the best opportunities would probably still be in Hamilton given the academic setting and it is not impossible at all to do research in Hamilton even if at either campus. Most clinical research is often done online and on the computer anyways.