Premed 101 Forums

Did anyone send a Letter of Intent

3 hours ago, Applicant95 said:

Sorry for the ignorance, but what's a Letter of Intent?

It’s more of a thing in the states where applicants send a kind of thank you letter to the admissions saying how committed they are to attending that specific school. It’s basically to say that if you were accepted, you’d 100% attend. It’s pretty normal for US schools to receive those letters but much less so for Canadian schools. I personally haven’t heard of anyone sending one for Canadian medical schools 

2 hours ago, CaramelMD said:

It’s more of a thing in the states where applicants send a kind of thank you letter to the admissions saying how committed they are to attending that specific school. It’s basically to say that if you were accepted, you’d 100% attend. It’s pretty normal for US schools to receive those letters but much less so for Canadian schools. I personally haven’t heard of anyone sending one for Canadian medical schools 

Some schools, like Ottawa, state it as unprofessional to do so, it is strictly a USA thing. Do your interview and just wait. Highly recommend to NOT send one. Note: don’t mean this as a reply to you sorry, just to add on to your comment.

8 hours ago, CaramelMD said:

Just to give a counterexample I did send one last year to Western and got in so it clearly wasn't a dealbreaker atleast.