Premed 101 Forums

Advice for OMSAS References

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice on the confidential assessment form and choosing references for OMSAS. I'm a Quebec applicant and QC schools don't ask for reference forms/letters so I don't know too much about this. I saw on the OMSAS and Ontario med school websites that we're asked to provide one academic- or employment reference and one personal (non-academic) reference. I've been able to get a professor of mine and my research supervisor to be my academic references (they both know me pretty well). I've also asked my manager of 2 years (I work in retail) who I'm really close to to also be my reference, and I feel she's able to speak about my personal qualities as well as professional. My only concern is that my manager can fit in both categories (employment/personal-character) and I don't know how strict Ontario med schools are about the two categories of references and wouldn't want my application to get rejected for such a small technicality.

If anyone can clear this up and let me know if my references are okay, it would be great! Also, are references for Ontario med schools part of the selection process (for example, McMaster is 32% GPA, 32% CARS, and 32% Casper) or are they used just to make sure the applicant is not a red flag?

1248938686_ScreenShot2020-06-08at6_38_27PM.png.502ea3c979628924c6055d06f9c66aca.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 8.34.14 PM.png

The general thinking is that schools use references to check for red flags. Arrogance, inability to work with others, unethical, etc...

Since people select their own references it doesn't really make sense to use them in any competitive manner, I'd imagine most are quite glowing and follow the standard policy of maxing out most check boxes and picking some small thing to identify as a growth area. 

You'll be fine. 

15 hours ago, kt101 said:

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice on the confidential assessment form and choosing references for OMSAS. I'm a Quebec applicant and QC schools don't ask for reference forms/letters so I don't know too much about this. I saw on the OMSAS and Ontario med school websites that we're asked to provide one academic- or employment reference and one personal (non-academic) reference. I've been able to get a professor of mine and my research supervisor to be my academic references (they both know me pretty well). I've also asked my manager of 2 years (I work in retail) who I'm really close to to also be my reference, and I feel she's able to speak about my personal qualities as well as professional. My only concern is that my manager can fit in both categories (employment/personal-character) and I don't know how strict Ontario med schools are about the two categories of references and wouldn't want my application to get rejected for such a small technicality.

If anyone can clear this up and let me know if my references are okay, it would be great! Also, are references for Ontario med schools part of the selection process (for example, McMaster is 32% GPA, 32% CARS, and 32% Casper) or are they used just to make sure the applicant is not a red flag?

1248938686_ScreenShot2020-06-08at6_38_27PM.png.502ea3c979628924c6055d06f9c66aca.png

Yup I had the exact same setup for referees as you and got in this year. You're perfectly fine!

17 hours ago, kt101 said:

Hi!

You could (probably should) also ask your manager to speak more about you as a person, rather than you as an employee. Really focusing on what they know about you as a human being and why that makes you a great candidate.

7 hours ago, Galaxsci said:

You could (probably should) also ask your manager to speak more about you as a person, rather than you as an employee. Really focusing on what they know about you as a human being and why that makes you a great candidate.

That's great advice, I'll make sure to do that! Thank you so much!