Premed 101 Forums

Housing advice for OOP students

telus555

Taking into consideration the most recent email stating that classes will be held primarily through remote learning this fall, yet could have in-person components if safe, is it a bad idea to wait until there is more concrete info (potentially past the July 1st lease date) before finding housing for the fall semester?

I am an OOP student, and would prefer to save the money and be home this fall if I don't need to be there in person.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!

10 hours ago, telus555 said:

Taking into consideration the most recent email stating that classes will be held primarily through remote learning this fall, yet could have in-person components if safe, is it a bad idea to wait until there is more concrete info (potentially past the July 1st lease date) before finding housing for the fall semester?

I am an OOP student, and would prefer to save the money and be home this fall if I don't need to be there in person.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you, also OOP. I think I'm going to wait until we get more information. Since the fall semester is online for most undergraduate programs at McGill, hopefully the demand for housing won't be as strong. Would like to hear what others think though!

I'll add in a third voice of agreement haha!

I also don't live in Montreal, and I'm going to wait to hear more about remote/in-person stuff before I commit to moving. I've been looking to get an idea of price and best locations, but I don't want to waste money being in Montreal if I don't have to. COVID isn't going anywhere for a while and since Montreal is currently worse than where I live, when that second wave hits I'd rather be home with my family than alone in an apartment in Montreal. 

The survey McGill sent in that email shows they're definitely assessing how many students aren't in Montreal. They're going to have to make their expectations clear before the semester starts.

I will add a fourth voice of agreement, haha! I am glad I checked this blog...I have been awaiting a facebook group to talk to more OOP students to see other peoples thoughts surrounding this. I am reassured we are thinking the same. 

I am currently living in the Greater Toronto Area, and I dont want to be living alone and paying rent if in-person activities are few and far between. I am hoping for some clarity from UGME about the frequency of in person activities/small group learning they anticipate in fall 2020.

I also am concerned about housing opportunities getting more sparse as the summer progresses, but I would think that COVID may change the norm of housing availability post-July 1st. 

19 minutes ago, JPFMed said:

I will add a fourth voice of agreement, haha! I am glad I checked this blog...I have been awaiting a facebook group to talk to more OOP students to see other peoples thoughts surrounding this. I am reassured we are thinking the same. 

I am currently living in the Greater Toronto Area, and I dont want to be living alone and paying rent if in-person activities are few and far between. I am hoping for some clarity from UGME about the frequency of in person activities/small group learning they anticipate in fall 2020.

I also am concerned about housing opportunities getting more sparse as the summer progresses, but I would think that COVID may change the norm of housing availability post-July 1st. 

I'm from Montreal, and I just wanted to say to everyone not to worry too much about finding a place. Finding a place in Montreal is very easy (it may be less easy after July 1st), but most students who move to Montreal for the first time make the move in August or September anyways (and it may be easier this fall since many new undergrad students won't be making the move). Montreal is a very student friendly city and it'll be pretty easy and affordable to find a place here whichever month it is :)