Premed 101 Forums

I'm only a 3rd year undergrad, but I'll give you my perspective. I'm in a highly competitive undergrad major at UBC, to get in to this major you need to have an 88+ average. Back in first year, there were two courses I had absolutely bombed based on my standards (low A-). However, when applying to the program I had asked the undergraduate advisor if the two classes I didn't do as well in would affect my application in any way. Long story short: He told me that if your other courses are high (i.e. A+/A), and there are very few courses that are outliers (i.e. B+ or A-), they'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not see it as being reflective of your true capability....so doing badly in one or two courses will probably won't do anything to you if your average is decent.

I've heard ochem gets used to basically weed out applicants due to the difficult nature of the subject material

Probably lies. Might have been true when they calculated pre-req gpa during prehistoric times. 

> I didn't exactly blow the Chem/Phys nor the Bio/Biochem sections of the MCAT out of the water either (127 and 126 respectively)

Decent scores.

in all other chemistry, biology, and biochemistry courses, my lowest grade has been an A- (82 on the UBC GPA conversion scale) All others have been A+ or A

Great!

Hopefully this works in my favour but not sure since it doesnt exactly show I had strength in ochem per se? 

Who cares.

I got a decent overall score (512 due to a 128 CARS and 131 Psych) but choked the Chem/Phys and Bio/Biochem sections on test day (I had never scored below 128 and 127 respectively on these sections in my practice tests).

Great!

I think you're just overthinking. One or two courses are not going to bomb your chances at medicine especially since you've proven you can handle the MCAT material. If it makes you feel better, retake the MCAT but I don't personally think it is worth it. I would not retake ochem either. You must understand that UBC no longer requires ochem as a pre-req, and as such there are many students incoming that have never taken ochem. It would be unfair to scrutinize those who took it and did poorly on it since it is not something they can apply to everyone. 

I got C- and C on my English classes and my first year Bio and chem classes were also B-/B...I also had a D in my transcript and somehow I got in with a 513 mcat and 85% agpa after a few decades of applying :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Aryanenzo said:

Probably lies. Might have been true when they calculated pre-req gpa during prehistoric times. 

Decent scores.

Great!

Who cares.

Great!

I think you're just overthinking. One or two courses are not going to bomb your chances at medicine especially since you've proven you can handle the MCAT material. If it makes you feel better, retake the MCAT but I don't personally think it is worth it. I would not retake ochem either. You must understand that UBC no longer requires ochem as a pre-req, and as such there are many students incoming that have never taken ochem. It would be unfair to scrutinize those who took it and did poorly on it since it is not something they can apply to everyone. 

I got C- and C on my English classes and my first year Bio and chem classes were also B-/B...I also had a D in my transcript and somehow I got in with a 513 mcat and 85% agpa after a few decades of applying :rolleyes:

Hey no don't say that! I know it seemed like forever but you defo earned that acceptance and it should've came a couple years earlier. Just really bad luck.

But thank you for the encouraging and supportive words man

22 hours ago, shubeydubeydoo said:

Aight that's calm thanks my g. And good luck on your applications this cycle (and future ones too but hopefully this is the only cycle)! 88 average as a minimum is a bit of a mad ting so fair play good on you

Hahahhah, I'm not expecting much out of this year's cycle at all, it's more of a test run...But good luck to you too G, hopefully it all works out!

11 minutes ago, theUBCmedhopeful said:

Hahahhah, I'm not expecting much out of this year's cycle at all, it's more of a test run...But good luck to you too G, hopefully it all works out!

Yeah no harm in that tho, you got time. This might be my only cycle applying so I'm really tryna go all-in max out my chances. We'll see how it goes!

Agree with everything that's been said, especially the comment about how not every student even takes organic chem, so it'd be strange for admissions to zero in specifically on how well people do in that course!

However, it's kind of impossible to predict how the holistic review works post-interview. There was an admissions blog post (I've been reading WAYY too many of those) where they wrote that even if you fail a course, you're not going to be discriminated against because of the F. You're only going to be "discriminated" against for your GPA. And people's GPA (like yours) can be fine if you do poorly on a few courses.

Do they probably take your MCAT strengths/weaknesses into account with your courses? Maybe...but we don't know for sure. I think if I were in your position, I would only retake the MCAT if I truly feel I could do better, and the C/P and B/B sections were just a fluke. Either way, the scores you have for those sections are fine!

On 8/4/2020 at 5:34 PM, theUBCmedhopeful said:

Long story short: He told me that if your other courses are high (i.e. A+/A), and there are very few courses that are outliers (i.e. B+ or A-), they'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not see it as being reflective of your true capability....so doing badly in one or two courses will probably won't do anything to you if your average is decent.

Just curious, was this advisor saying that his own program's admissions would not discriminate if you did bad in 1 or 2 courses? Or was he talking about Med school admissions?

15 minutes ago, Fast_Layne said:

Just curious, was this advisor saying that his own program's admissions would not discriminate if you did bad in 1 or 2 courses? Or was he talking about Med school admissions?

Not the person who commented but from what I understood it was for the own program admissions. One would think a similar policy applies to med too though, ex. if you have two applicants who had 86% GPA but one had that from 39 classes where they got an 87% and one class where they got a 47%, an the other applicant had it from 40 classes where they got an 86%, would you really discriminate against that first applicant? Probs not

46 minutes ago, Fast_Layne said:

own program. Even though the process is holistic I don't think doing badly in one or two courses will really be a detriment, especially if the overall average is decent. They might be seen as outliers if anything. A lot of people apply with Cr/D/Fail classes as well so I don't really think one or two courses will be a problem.

You also have to recognize that a lot of people with averages of low-mid 80s end up applying to UBC's MD program as well, compared to ppl in majors such as CAPS and PCTH at UBC which take much higher averages. An 86% average with a couple of bombed courses at the end of the day is much better than say an 83 average.

On 8/6/2020 at 1:50 PM, shubeydubeydoo said:

@Vancouver Premed
"I don't think doing badly in one or two courses will really be a detriment"
I got through that sentence like a subject and a predicate

;)

I see you w that signature ahahah

You know imma ball til they turn off the field lights, the fruits of my labour I enjoy em while they still ripe.

9 minutes ago, UwoToUo said:

Facts bro adcoms don't have the pass and neither do u LOL

Yeah bro gotta be respectful lol lots of people have cultures with words that cannot be appropriately said by people outside of that culture. I can think of a couple words in my culture lmao so yeah it issss what it issssss

Also why would adcoms have the pass like why was that in question ahahahaha