Premed 101 Forums

Experience with UBC Bursaries?

1 hour ago, ATP said:

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what people's experiences were with UBC bursaries?

It's my first time receiving loans, and they calculated an unmet need of about 10k.

Can I expect the bursaries to cover all of it, or just a portion?

Thanks!

Assuming the process is the same as previous years: unfortunately you may not receive anything, and if you do, it will likely only cover a small portion. Typically there is a deductible that’s around $6000 per term (~$12000 for the year, not including summer term which has its own bursary application). The exact deductible is calculated based on available funds and applicant need, so every year it’s a little different. The amount you’re eligible to receive is your unmet need minus the deductible - so if your unmet need is lower than the deductible, you won’t receive anything. It is possible the process will be different / there will be more funds made available due to COVID, but based on past experience, I wouldn’t count on it covering anywhere close to the unmet need if you even receive it. Definitely apply though, you never know. 

33 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Assuming the process is the same as previous years: unfortunately you may not receive anything, and if you do, it will likely only cover a small portion. Typically there is a deductible that’s around $6000 per term (~$12000 for the year, not including summer term which has its own bursary application). The exact deductible is calculated based on available funds and applicant need, so every year it’s a little different. The amount you’re eligible to receive is your unmet need minus the deductible - so if your unmet need is lower than the deductible, you won’t receive anything. It is possible the process will be different / there will be more funds made available due to COVID, but based on past experience, I wouldn’t count on it covering anywhere close to the unmet need if you even receive it. Definitely apply though, you never know. 

Thanks for the reply!

The government is giving out more loans this year due to Covid. Hopefully that doesn't mean UBC will give less in bursaries to everyone :(