Premed 101 Forums

Extracurriculars for (French) Quebec Medical Schools

CEGEP student here,

I was always under the impression that the only things that mattered for the French schools are the r-score, interview and Casper. However, my teachers this year are all going on non stop about how important it is to pad one's CV (even for the French schools)

I don't personally have a very impressive CV - I've done some volunteering and do regular tutoring + organized sports on my own time because I enjoy these activities but I don't have anything impressive like hospital volunteering or research or major charity work. I'm confident that I would be willing to show that I'm a well rounded person during an interview, but I don't have anything that looks as impresisve on paper as most McGill applicants. Should I start with these bigger commitments if I want to go to UdeM, Laval or Sherbrooke or just concentrate on marks (while I continue with what I'm already doing). Do the French schools even look at the CV?

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! What GPA is considered competitive for the Quebec French med schools?! I was born in Quebec (and speak French fluently) however, I am currently attending a university in Ontario so I really don’t understand the CRU thing that the Quebec med schools have (like what GPA would I need to have for it to be considered a competitive CRU for those med schools)?!

4 hours ago, TheHopefulMD said:

Hey guys! What GPA is considered competitive for the Quebec French med schools?! I was born in Quebec (and speak French fluently) however, I am currently attending a university in Ontario so I really don’t understand the CRU thing that the Quebec med schools have (like what GPA would I need to have for it to be considered a competitive CRU for those med schools)?!

Salut!

La CRU est une conversion du GPA en fonction de ta moyenne et de l'indice de force de discipline du programme d'étude qui correspond au tien (entre autres). Par conséquent, il faut que tu saches à quoi ton programme d'étude en Ontario est équivalent dans les universités francophones québécoises. Ensuite, il faut convertir ton GPA ontarien en moyenne sur 4,3 (ou 4,33 pour uLaval). Ensuite, tu peux estimer ta CRU grâce à la table des étalons de uLaval (https://www.ulaval.ca/sites/default/files/admission/table-des-etalons.pdf). Mais attention! Chaque université francophone a son propre moyen de calculer la CRU, alors ta CRU uLaval ne sera pas la même qu'à Sherbrooke ou à UdeM. Pour connaître ta CRU à UdeM et Sherbrooke, tu peux essayer de l'estimer avec ce que tu peux trouver sur le forum ou appliquer et tu auras ta réponse en fin de processus d'admission.

En somme, un GPA de 10/10 ne donnera pas la même CRU selon que ton programme est psychologie, sociologie ou droit. Par exemple, à uLaval, un 10/10 en psychologie donnerait 32,853 de CRU (donc supérieur au seuil de 31, donc suffisant pour espérer avoir une entrevue, moyennant un excellent Casper). Un 10/10 en sociologie donnerait 28,455 de CRU (donc insuffisant au seuil de 31, donc insuffisant pour une entrevue). Un 10/10 en droit donnerait 38,153 de CRU (donc largement supérieur au seuil de 31, donc largement suffisant pour espérer une entrevue, moyennant un Casper dans la moyenne).

Voilà! J'espère que c'est plus clair! ^^

On 10/29/2020 at 1:53 PM, NervousStudent said:

CEGEP student here,

I was always under the impression that the only things that mattered for the French schools are the r-score, interview and Casper. However, my teachers this year are all going on non stop about how important it is to pad one's CV (even for the French schools)

I don't personally have a very impressive CV - I've done some volunteering and do regular tutoring + organized sports on my own time because I enjoy these activities but I don't have anything impressive like hospital volunteering or research or major charity work. I'm confident that I would be willing to show that I'm a well rounded person during an interview, but I don't have anything that looks as impresisve on paper as most McGill applicants. Should I start with these bigger commitments if I want to go to UdeM, Laval or Sherbrooke or just concentrate on marks (while I continue with what I'm already doing). Do the French schools even look at the CV?

Many thanks.

No, the only things that matter are 1 - your MMI/CASPer performance, and 2 - your R score (and it's starting to have less importance right now, seeing that Laval doesn't take your R score into account at all, and Montreal doesn't even look at your R score post-interview). The only way ECs might make a difference is that it might help you develop interpersonal skills and consequently help your MMI/CASPer performance.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:35 PM, helpmeplz said:

No, the only things that matter are 1 - your MMI/CASPer performance, and 2 - your R score (and it's starting to have less importance right now, seeing that Laval doesn't take your R score into account at all, and Montreal doesn't even look at your R score post-interview). The only way ECs might make a difference is that it might help you develop interpersonal skills and consequently help your MMI/CASPer performance.

Wait where does it say that Laval doesn't take your R score into account at all?! Could you plz provide a link or maybe an email you sent to them since last time I checked, Laval's med school looked at your R score (but I could be wrong ofc)

1 hour ago, TheHopefulMD said:

Wait where does it say that Laval doesn't take your R score into account at all?! Could you plz provide a link or maybe an email you sent to them since last time I checked, Laval's med school looked at your R score (but I could be wrong ofc)

Not OP but yes they do look at your R score, but it’s only to verify that your R score is above the cutoff (33 cegep, 31 CRU). After that, your R score has NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER.