Premed 101 Forums

Chances with low MCAT?

Althervi

OMG, OP! If you think 514 is a low MCAT score, then I need to reconsider why I'm even applying to med schools. 

Kidding aside, I think you have a great score (total and individual sections)! Yes, CARS is the KING for Ontario schools. And yes, your CARS may be borderline line for Western, but I'd recommend applying since CARS score fluctuates each year. As for Queens, I think you meet the cut off for each subsection!

But then again, if you feel like you can raise your CARS score to 128/129 range, then you are more than welcome to write the MCAT again! I think your science sections are SOLID and no way in he** I would consider each section LOW (and same goes with your CARS score tbh. It's just unfortunate that anything less than 128 is considered "low").

Also, don't forget that both schools are considered "EC heavy!" As you may have already known,  Western requires essays and Queens also consider your ABS during their pre-interview phase! 

8 minutes ago, marsaturn20 said:

OMG, OP! If you think 514 is a low MCAT score, then I need to reconsider why I'm even applying to med schools. 

Kidding aside, I think you have a great score (total and individual sections)! Yes, CARS is the KING for Ontario schools. And yes, your CARS may be borderline line for Western, but I'd recommend applying since CARS score fluctuates each year. As for Queens, I think you meet the cut off for each subsection!

But then again, if you feel like you can raise your CARS score to 128/129 range, then you are more than welcome to write the MCAT again! I think your science sections are SOLID and no way in he** I would consider each section LOW (and same goes with your CARS score tbh. It's just unfortunate that anything less than 128 is considered "low").

Also, don't forget that both schools are considered "EC heavy!" As you may have already known,  Western requires essays and Queens also consider your ABS during their pre-interview phase! 

Thanks so much for your reply!!! I really appreciate the boost regarding my score too lol, I've written it 4 times over the past 3 years, it's hard to feel good about it!

Speaking of ECs... Do you know if Queens prefers any certain type of EC? I have no idea if what I have is good enough lol!

Thanks again - and best of luck this cycle!!!

You should be proud of your score! 514 is literally a very HIGH score! 

And as for ECs, no one really knows what Queens is looking for since its a complete black box. However, I think long-term and meaningful commitments are more favoured  over 'very' short-term ones! I think having a diverse experience in areas of service ethic, leadership, personal development and etc will indicate commitment, maturity and altruism. 

I highly recommend revisiting the previous accepted/waitlisted/R and Interview Invite threads! People have shared their ECs there and I think you'll find them very helpful as you may find any potential areas where you would like to get more involved in :)

And thank you :) :D Hoping for the best this cycle! Though, I may need to rewrite my MCAT. My CARS score is abysmal :(