Suzukaze Posted December 25, 2020 Report Share Posted December 25, 2020 Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but honestly this forum is the place with the highest amount of non-US applicants that I can find. I am a current applicant, and I just received an acceptance to one of my top choice DO school. Yet I don't have any interview invites from MD schools (some holds) at this point, so I am wondering should I start packing and searching for apartments or wait for a few more months. I feel like my GPA is my biggest enemy but I need to apply as-is so... cGPA: 3.23, sGPA: 3.10, graduate GPA: 3.60 Non-US, Non-Canadian citizen, Asian MCAT: 516 (131/129/130/127) Undergrad: Biology, Grad: Physiology (all in the US; grad school is a "special master's program") Shadowing: ~200 hours across specialties Clinical: 500+ hours hospital work as scribe and translator (part-time for three summers), ~100 hours in my local hospice, ~50 hours for local health screening events, ~20 hours in another local hospital (just started and cut short because of lockdowns), ~50 hours during one week mission trip to Panama a few years ago (worked on 10 hour working days, was not voluntourism) Research: Full time for second year in grad school before COVID, no publication Nonclinical: Worked three college part-time jobs, one customer service rep, one resident advisor, one lab tech. ~100 hours for helping out my local church, and ~150 hours for volunteering during COVID Other: Proficient in Japanese and Chinese Unique hobby for 20 years Club leadership for over a year coordinating inter-organization events and reorganizing the mess following lockdowns Letters: Two from undergrad (Humanities and Science), two from graduate school (Advisor and Science), two professional School list (all completed between late June and early August) MD: Emory, Colorado, Case, Brown, Dartmouth, Utah, Georgetown, Tufts, Jefferson, MCW, Tulane, Connecticut, Illinois, VCU, Saint Louis, RWJMS, NJMS, Stony Brook, SUNY Upstate, Hawaii, Loma Linda, West Virginia, Howard, NYMC DO: MSU, KCU-Joplin, UNE, CCOM, AZCOM, Western, Rowan, Touro NY, LMU-DCOM, LECOM, CUSOM, NSU, Marian, William Carey, Liberty AU: Sydney (Border closed and automatically deferred to 2022) Strikethrough means rejected I find my MD list might be a bit too top heavy or public heavy... alas, that is all that I can apply to. I feel that it would be pure donation for me to apply to schools higher ranked like Pitts or UNC. I am extremely grateful for my acceptance at this point, but if possible, would certainly love to see if it is remotely possible to score a MD interview. I am also contemplating the deferred application to Sydney because of its academic prestige but the extremely high tuition (80k), cost of living and low possibility of matching into residency are worrisome. Thank all of you for reading through this. Merry Christmas and wish you all for success. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.