Premed 101 Forums

Residence in Med school

Guest ioncannon97

Guest ioncannon97

I have never really seen a discussion in this forum on the possibilty for med students to live in residence. Do many med students carry out this option and are many residence spots available for them?

There are virtually (with a couple of exceptions) NO med students that end up living in university dorms. You get accepted in June at the earliest, and by then most residences are pretty much filled up... the vast majority of the spots go to first year undergrads (who I'm not sure you'd want to be living with, anyway), with the few remaining rooms for upper year students who have already been living in that residence.

Western does have some on campus apartments for rent... both single and two bedroom units are "available." The problem is that usually you have to put your name in the lottery very early in the year, and even so there are VERY few vacancies available. Your best bet if you wanted to live in one of these would be to check the housing website for people who are renting out one of the two bedroom apts. and are looking for a roommate to join them.

Guest UWOMED2005

A few of my classmates moved into rez for second year, being able to apply in January of first year. There were also a select number of people who were at UWO for undergrad, applied in 3rd year for 4th year UG and then ended up keeping the room for 1st year meds.

But other than that what JSS said is bang on.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, your chances of getting on-campus housing at UWO having not gone here for undergrad are basically zero. I believe that there were only 3 or 4 Meds 2006 students living in residence this past year and all of them went to UWO for undergrad. Your best bet would be, as UWOMED2005 suggested, to peruse the UWO housing listings and find someone in Lambton Hall or one of those places on campus looking for a roomie and try to get in with them. Otherwise, I think that you'd have a better time trying to convince administration to waive your medical school tuition, or better yet, trying to convince UWOMED2005 that the 2005s aren't going to have their collective a$$e$ handed to them in the Fanshawe boatraces later this year!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest therealcrackers

NB. Lambton Hall, Bayfield, Beaver and Ausable Halls are all apartment building owned and operated by the university. There is no cafeteria, etc in these buildings, and there are upper year, graduate and professional students only in them. More traditional residences, like Saugeen, Delaware, Essex, Alumni House, etc. might have A med student in them, because they were already signed on to be a don for the upcoming year and got into meds at the same school.

Timmy, 2006 has been practicing for that boatrace... still not going to matter. We have THE anchor, and lowering it is going to smash through the hull of your little dream boat.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yep, having two anchors* will surely be enough to sink the 2006 boat. ;)

Heck, I'm sure having an all buoy team wouldn't save you guys from sinking. . .

* note the other anchor is known simply by the name "Beers." I will fully defer true anchor to him.

Archived