Premed 101 Forums

Admissions calculations

Guest Krish

Hey,

Can the moderators (aneliz/Timmymax) please confirm whether or not, the best year (GPA) and MCAT (WR + WS) will be worth 25% each with 50% interview to determine the top 133 candidates for first-round admissions?

Reason of my query: a friend said he actually talked to Barbara of admissions and she said that Western will not be using the above calculation after interviews have taken place to determine offers.

Thanks

Krish

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Krish,

As far I know, the admissions criteria have not changed unless they magically approved something at the adcom meeting I was at last month and didn't tell me. Unless aneliz knows something that I don't, the admissions criteria is still the 25-25-50 that we had last year. So I don't really know what Barbara's response means, but then again she is one of the people who would know for sure...

If we find out anything different or to the contrary, we'll let you guys know just as soon as we do!

Just as an added note, the 25% academic score for the final decision will be determined by your best two years, not just your best year.

Best of luck!

Timmy

I haven't heard anything either....it wasn't discussed at the last adcomm meeting. I will see what I can dig up...but we are headed into exams so you might have to be patient. Barbara is *usually* reliable but sometimes her comments are a little difficult to interpret. For now, assume that it is the same as last year and if we hear differently we'll let you know.

Good luck!

Guest UWOMED2005

They actually did change the formula during my admissions cycle. Everything I read (OMSAS, Black Book) suggested a 33/33/33 breakdown, but then at the interview weekend it turned out they'd changed it for that year. But I'm sure anything like that would be approved, if not suggested, by the admissions committee - Timmymax and Aneliz would know. So for know, stick to the 25/25/50 split.

TimmyMax,

You mentioned that the ad com will use the two best yeas in the calculation (average), but what about applicants who are currently in the year of completing one of the two years used?

Krish

Guest TimmyMax

Hey krish,

Don't worry about it- you only need one year above the posted GPA cutoff for an interview, but the final decision won't be made until after everyone's marks are submitted from the year that they are just completing now, since it is based on your best two academic years. I assume that you're wondering if this awesome, fantastic academic year that you're having is going to impact on your ultimate admission decision- the answer is a definite yes! UWO will wait until your marks from the current academic year are submitted before they make the final decision, so no worries there. So that D- in 1st year calculus isn't going to end up sinking you, if that's what you're afraid of.

Best of luck!

Timmy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lisa88

i was wondering what affect the marks of our current school year will have on admissions...Does our gpa for this year have to be at least 3.7? Thanks.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Lisa,

Your current year will have to be above the 3.7 cutoff if and only if you only have ONE completed full-time year above the cutoff (you need at least TWO years above the cutoff to be offered admission). If you already have two completed, full-time years above the cutoff, then I guess the pressure is off in terms of having to maintain a 3.7 in your final year like we had to...

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest toothyhuh

I'm kinda confused...if UWO will wait for the final marks to make the decision..that means teh final decisino will be made much later than in previous years when they simply waited to see if iyour final year was above 3.65. The GPA of the final year was not factored into the conditional acceptance that was offered.

So has there been a change in policy or will they still be offering conditional acceptances and just checking the final year GPA for those with only one year above 3.7?

Thanks

Guest JSS02

Previously, the GPA portion of your final evaluation, worth 25%, was based on your best year only. They only checked to make sure your GPA for your final year was over the cutoff for that year (3.6, 3.65, etc.) before your acceptance became final. Now, your GPA in your final year no longer has to be over the cutoff (3.7) as long as you already have two other years that do make it. It would make the most sense if the 25% is still based on your best year only- otherwise they'd be comparing the GPA of 2 years for some people to the best year GPA of others, or having to send out their decisions really late (all Ontario med schools still send out offers at the end of May), etc., which don't seem right. Of course, I can't say this is what they actually do... TimmyMax or aneliz will probably let you know shortly.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

It won't make a difference in terms of WHEN the decision is made- your average in the best two years will comprise 25% of your final score. It's not a big deal to do the necessary calcilation, so don't worry about WHEN the decision is actually being made- you'll find out on the 31st of May just like everyone else.

As for now, concentrate on the interview and leave such insignificant matters to admissions- they will figure everything out in a timely manner. Besides, at this point, pretty much the only thing you can control is how you perform on your interview. So concentrate on that and you will do fine.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Krish

Hi TimmyMax,

I think JSSO2's point is that if your current year is one of your two best years, how will that be used in the calculations since final marks come out only at the end of May-mid June?

Krish

Guest multifish

Sorry, I don't mean to be tedious, but the 25% MCAT is only based on VR and the essays? I've hadn't heard that UWO used this particular formula. BTW, if one of the moderators could let the Australian woman in admissions knows that she is just awesome...

Guest Chieka

Australian? I thought she was British... Could someone clarify this point please? :P :p

But yeah, I agree she's sweet. I think she even called me "honey" when I called. :)

C.

Guest aneliz

Yes Barbara is most definitely Australian...she was not impressed when we told her that there was some controversy on this board about whether she was a Brit....she wants to know what your name and OMSAS # is so that she can shred your application....(;) )

Rule number one of admissions: always be nice to the people in the office....they can be exceedingly helpful but they can also make your life very miserable if you aren't nice to them....

Guest TimmyMax

Hi Krish,

Sorry about the delay- my computer died late Sunday night and only now was I able to restore it to some semblance of what it was.

If your current year is going to be one of the two years used in the GPA calculation, DON'T WORRY! Your application will be processed along with everyone else's in a timely fashion and the medical school will get your current year's marks just as soon as they become official or available, or whatever. Decision Day (D-Day) will be the 31st of May again this year unless they changed something and forgot to tell me, so look for your thickvelope then! :)

AFAIK, UWO only considers your VR and WS scores in their MCAT calculation, again, unless they changed that and didn't tell me.

Hope that this helps!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived