Premed 101 Forums

CDM Scoring (LMCC Part 1)

What they told us is as follows:

Choose all that apply/ Choose upto x: Usually there are one or two options that they really want to see. As long as those options are part of your answer, you get full marks regardless of what else you chose. Occasionally you have a "hazardous" option which will be absolutely wrong. If you chose that as one of your options, you will get a 0 regardless of whether you had the other right options included. Of course, if you choose more than what they specify in the question stem, its a 0. Sometimes, they have a hidden limit on the number of choices you can select so they recommended not to choose more than 3-4.

Short answer: Usually one phrase answers. Try to be as specific as you can (partial marks will be awarded for not being specific enough, no marks if the answer is too general). Don't try to explain why the answer is right because if the explanation is wrong you even if the answer itself is right no marks will be given. Spelling is somewhat important (as long as they can clearly distinguish what you're talking about, its fine).

Hope that helps!

20 hours ago, sadllama said:

What they told us is as follows:

Choose all that apply/ Choose upto x: Usually there are one or two options that they really want to see. As long as those options are part of your answer, you get full marks regardless of what else you chose. Occasionally you have a "hazardous" option which will be absolutely wrong. If you chose that as one of your options, you will get a 0 regardless of whether you had the other right options included. Of course, if you choose more than what they specify in the question stem, its a 0. Sometimes, they have a hidden limit on the number of choices you can select so they recommended not to choose more than 3-4.

Short answer: Usually one phrase answers. Try to be as specific as you can (partial marks will be awarded for not being specific enough, no marks if the answer is too general). Don't try to explain why the answer is right because if the explanation is wrong you even if the answer itself is right no marks will be given. Spelling is somewhat important (as long as they can clearly distinguish what you're talking about, its fine).

Hope that helps!

Just clarifying it’s not hidden the limit they make it clear! And if you go over you automatically get 0 so ensure that you’re not. Easy way to lose points. 

CDM stems are also longer. But worth less points than the mcq total. In my exam when I finished the mcq it said I was 78% done. If that helps. 

2 hours ago, bellejolie said:

Just clarifying it’s not hidden the limit they make it clear! And if you go over you automatically get 0 so ensure that you’re not. Easy way to lose points. 

CDM stems are also longer. But worth less points than the mcq total. In my exam when I finished the mcq it said I was 78% done. If that helps. 

There was some CDM questions that tell you to choose as much as you want in my practices exam however those were rares. While reviewing my answer, a maximum number was indicated such as 3 or 4 indeed as previously mentioned.

Thank you everyone for the insight! Follow up question, do you know the limitations of specificity, i.e. if a patient comes in with fever, vomiting and abdominal pain, could I say blood work, or should I specify CBC + Diff or even more specific like WBC? (Similarly writing Chem 7 vs electrolytes vs specifically Na/K) 

2 minutes ago, Anonymous2021 said:

Thank you everyone for the insight! Follow up question, do you know the limitations of specificity, i.e. if a patient comes in with fever, vomiting and abdominal pain, could I say blood work, or should I specify CBC + Diff or even more specific like WBC? (Similarly writing Chem 7 vs electrolytes vs specifically Na/K) 

Definitely have to be specific in what labs you’re ordering. Blood work is way too vague. Electrolytes doesn’t include glucose i think you’d have to specify if you want glucose calcium and phosphorus I think. They give instructions on the day of but yeah you have to be specific. 

Hi there! Which part of the scoring are you finding confusing? Have you tried one of their CDM practice tests? (I did one and it helped me see how the marks are assigned, though overall I don't think it's necessary to purchase the tests).

One aspect of CDM answers is knowing what qualifies as one answer, as there are very specific rules. You have access to them during your exam, but if you want to take a look in advance - see here https://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/clinical-decision-making/clinical-decision-making-answers/.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...